Homegrown Squad Rules | Page 4 | Vital Football

Homegrown Squad Rules

Thanks Meee - I was hoping you would give us an update.

The net, net is that we have 29 players that would want to play in the league and FA Cup. We all know that isn't going to happen. It is too many.

I guess we now have to sit tight for a week and see what happens with Turkey and Saudi. I'm also wondering whether there could be a contractual separation agreement with a player or two.
I don't think there is any value in a contract separation as they can't play for another club anyway. What we should be doing is ensuring that we aren't preventing them from moving to a country where the window is open. The only problem is, I don't see any of our guys being interested in it. Although I'm surprised no Saudi team has thought that NDombele is worthy of a gamble

Updating this now that the window is closed. It's worth highlighting that I had missed White turning 21 last season which means he would have needed to be named. But he has gone to Stevenage so that's another club trained player out.

Outs; Tanganga, Spence, Reguilion
Ins; Johnson

Total - 27 (2 over the limit)
Homegrown; 8 - Forster, Whiteman, Austin, Davies, Skipp, Sessegnon, Maddison, Johnson
Foreign; 19 (2 over the limit) - Vicario, Lloris, Romero, Van De Ven, Dier, Sanchez, Porro, Royal, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, NDombele, Bissouma, Lo Celso, Perisic, Solomon, Son, Gil, Kulu, Richarilson
Under 21; Philips, Udogie, Sarr, Veliz

2 players from the foreign list will miss out on being named in the selection. From the above list the obvious choices are Lloris and Ndombele.

This means frustratingly that Dier and Sanchez survived. I do wish the club would have been more cut throat and recruited the replacements and told them that they would not be named. Instead we have told them they that are free to go but we will still play them if they decide not to go. I thought we had moved to a more ruthless approach over the last few seasons but sadly we didn't go that extra step this time. The positive is that both are 'only' back ups and there's only 1 more season left on their deals. Fingers crossed VDV and Romero stay fit and suspension free

Looking further ahead, next summer we will have more freedom to make moves with contracts of Lloris, Sanchez, Dier and Perisic all ending. Sadly it feels like we will have another transition season now until we can fill the gaps in the squad.

We were successful at moving on many of the club trained players. This could potentially become an issue if we qualify for Europe next season as we only have 3 club trained players when 4 are required in order to name a full squad. 2 of the 3 are youth goalkeepers who likely both won't be here. So it begs the question, which rising star from.the academy is going to step forward and take the chance?
I wonder if we could have found room for another foreign signing (finances permitting) by excluding Gil?

Didn't he want to return to Spain this summer before his injury anyway? He's likely to be out until October and unlikely to get much game time when he returns. We could have used his spot and then re-assess in January.

With the exception of Johnson, probably for Kulu, I think that we saw what will be the preferred starting eleven this season, certainly until Bentancur becomes an option.
Take yesterday's starting eleven plus Johnson, Bentancur, Royal, Richarlison, with Hojbjerg, Skipp, Perisic, Sanchez/Dier and Davies as additional occasional options in the event of injury or suspension in certain positions, and I really can't see anybody else getting a look in this season.
Muttley has quite correctly long stated the excessive numbers. A club like City, probably only City, can position themselves with 22 players vying for eleven positions, whereby continual rotation is the norm.
In our case I think that we realistically need a pool of 14 - 15 players who may be considered as our first team squad, with three or four more to provide a little more insurance. After the completion of the window I think that we are in good nick in this regard, albeit a pity that we will still be carrying some players who have no place and don't really belong at the Club.

So just looked at the PL official site to see what squad we registered. This is what they have....https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/21/Tottenham-Hotspur/squad

Hugo, Vicario, Forster, Whiteman, Austin
Emerson, Porro, Udogie, Davies, Sess
VDV, Romero, Dier, Sanchez, Phillips
Bissouma, Bentancur, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Sarr, Maddison, Kulusevski, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Perisic
Son
, Richi, Gil, Johnson, Solomon, Veliz

I've underlined 18 non-homegrown players. How can that be? We're only allowed 17.

I'm assuming the PL haven't updated. Do we know whether Hugo and Tanguy were named?

So just looked at the PL official site to see what squad we registered. This is what they have....https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/21/Tottenham-Hotspur/squad

Bissouma, Bentancur, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Sarr, Maddison, Kulusevski, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Perisic
Son

I've underlined 18 non-homegrown players. How can that be? We're only allowed 17.

I'm assuming the PL haven't updated. Do we know whether Hugo and Tanguy were named?
Surely we wouldn't have registered Hugo if we are possibly cancelling his contract? In any case, it looks like Sanchez could be off to Galatasary today.

Surely we wouldn't have registered Hugo if we are possibly cancelling his contract? In any case, it looks like Sanchez could be off to Galatasary today.

It's actually unclear who was named. I thought the deadline was Sep 1st.

Surely some scummy journo would have been writing stories about how badly we've treated Hugo if he wasn't named.

It's actually unclear who was named. I thought the deadline was Sep 1st.

Surely some scummy journo would have been writing stories about how badly we've treated Hugo if he wasn't named.
Ange was clear the other day about how highly respected Hugo is by the club, I'm sure that his situation there will have been discussed with him at the highest level. It seems his wife has a successful business here in England and his kids are said to be more English than French so you can see why he might be reluctant to relocate. Would it not be a good move to offer him an ambassadorial or coaching role with the club?

Son

There's something odd going on there with that list. I thought 1st September was the deadline. There's 30 odd names in that list which is over the limit. Then as you say too many foreign players for the quota. Also the under 21s are listed when they don't need to be counted

There's something odd going on there with that list. I thought 1st September was the deadline. There's 30 odd names in that list which is over the limit. Then as you say too many foreign players for the quota. Also the under 21s are listed when they don't need to be counted
Is there a difference between registering players with the PL and naming our squad for PL playing perhaps?

What a great thread - I really didnt know any of this "that deep" just waited for the list every season - well done Meee !

I did read somewhere that our new Blackburn defender Ashley Phillips will be added to the first team list so assume he is another under 21 to add along with Johnson and then Sanchez and NDombe off the foreign list although I guess some of the U21 are nearly ripe for picking soon (even if just for the list) ... so I guess you will issue a new end of window 2023 update soon.... but nevertheless we still have a lot of deadwood at the club and now out on loan - will we ever get the books balanced and then a backup bench like a Citeh ???? doubt it not with Levy at the helm.

What a great thread - I really didnt know any of this "that deep" just waited for the list every season - well done Meee !

I did read somewhere that our new Blackburn defender Ashley Phillips will be added to the first team list so assume he is another under 21 to add along with Johnson and then Sanchez and NDombe off the foreign list although I guess some of the U21 are nearly ripe for picking soon (even if just for the list) ... so I guess you will issue a new end of window 2023 update soon.... but nevertheless we still have a lot of deadwood at the club and now out on loan - will we ever get the books balanced and then a backup bench like a Citeh ???? doubt it not with Levy at the helm.

I always look at the official website. White was on there all last season, but is now listed as an U21 loanee. Veliz is on the senior list whereas Parrott and Scarlett are U21 loanees. As you say Phillips is named with the seniors.

We currently have 28 players of the 3 types, HG, non-HG and U21s. That means that Sarr, Phillips, Udogie and Veliz coung as U21. We only have 24 with Hugo, and the removal of Dav and Tanguy has meant the non-HG quota is good again.

As for City, there squad composition was something else last season. They only had 17 or 18 seniors. The rest were U21's. Just shows how many players you actually need to do a treble, if you have the best ones.

Outs; Sanchez

Total - 26 (1 over the limit)
Homegrown; 8 - Forster, Whiteman, Austin, Davies, Skipp, Sessegnon, Maddison, Johnson
Foreign; 18 (1 over the limit) - Vicario, Lloris, Romero, Van De Ven, Dier, Porro, Royal, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, NDombele, Bissouma, Lo Celso, Perisic, Solomon, Son, Gil, Kulu, Richarilson
Under 21; Philips, Udogie, Sarr, Veliz

So it appears our squad has been finalised.
Unsurprisingly NDombele is the one to miss out not that he's bothered.

We have 5 goalkeepers on our list which is a bit excessive

Last edited: