Homegrown Squad Rules | Vital Football

Homegrown Squad Rules

meee93

Vital Football Legend
I've seen a few posts over the last couple of weeks on the issue of our homegrown player quota so I'm putting together this thread summarising it. I'll update this over the course of the window as Paratici works his magic.

A reminder of the rules. Keeping in line with the messy structure of football, there are 2 different sets of rules that we have to consider; those of the FA, and those of UEFA for the CL games.

FA Rules
You can name 25 senior players in the squad
A maximum of 17 of these can be "foreign" players.
A homegrown player is somebody who has trained at an English or Welsh club for 3 seasons before the age of 21 (so essentially nationality is irrelevant).
You can name as many under 21s as you want

UEFA Rules
A maximum of 17 of these can be "foreign" players
Club Trained; We must have a minimum of 4 players who played for 3 years at Spurs between 15 and 21 (if we want to name a full squad of 25).
Association Trained; Players who have spent 3 years between 15 and 21 at English clubs. Since we will likely name the max number of foreign players then a max of 4 in this bracket.
List B; We can name as many under 21s as we wish. But there's a catch, they must have been at spurs for 2 years before they can be included in this list.

In the Spurs squad we have a couple of odd cases;
Dier is counted as foreign in both sets of rules as he came through the Portuguese academy and moved here when he was too old.
Rodon and Davies count as homegrown for FA games, but they are counted as foreign for UEFA games as they consider Welsh academies different to English ones.
Doherty is counted as foreign in both sets of rules as he went on loan to Scotland during part of his 3 year qualifying period in England.
Sarr will count as under 21 for FA rules but as Foreign for UEFA

So I'll stop withering on get to the point...
FA Rules Squad;
Homegrown; 9 - (Austin, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Sessegnon, Skipp, Winks, Kane, Clarke)
Foreign; 17 [equal to the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Reguilion, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Total; 26 [1 over the limit]
Under 21s; 1 - Sarr

UEFA Rules Squad;
Club trained; 5 - (Austin, Tanganga, Skipp, Winks, Kane)
Association trained; 2 (Sessegnon, Clarke)
Foreign; 20 [3 over the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Rodon, Reguilion, Davies, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Sarr, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Total; 27 [2 over the limit]

As our squad currently stands, 1 senior player can't play in the PL and 3 foreign players can't play in Europe.
You would imagine that none of Clarke, Sarr, Lo Celso, and NDombele will be here next season. Doing this;
a) for FA, allows us to include Foster and then leaves 1 space for another player (of any nationality)
b) for UEFA, allows us to include Foster and have 1 space for an English trained player.

So we squad space for the likes of Sterling or Spence. But if we want to sign the likes of Bastoni, Eriksen, McKennie etc then we will need to shift more players.
The likes of Sanchez, Rodon, Reguilion, Royal, Doherty, Bergwijn, Moura, Gill will be the ones that Paratici will also need to find clubs for.

Last edited:
Always hated the fact that we have to tolerate 2 sets of rules.

That being said, there is less deviation from the PL team when you play in CL compared to EL or ECL. It doesn't make too much difference, unless you hit an injury crisis.

I still despise that fact that both the FA and UEFA won't recognise a British passport holder like Dier who has a long tenure in the country and represented our country.

I've seen a few posts over the last couple of weeks on the issue of our homegrown player quota so I'm putting together this thread summarising it. I'll update this over the course of the window as Paratici works his magic.

A reminder of the rules. Keeping in line with the messy structure of football, there are 2 different sets of rules that we have to consider; those of the FA, and those of UEFA for the CL games.

FA Rules
A homegrown player is somebody who has trained at an English or Welsh club for 3 seasons before the age of 21 (so essentially nationality is irrelevant).

UEFA Rules
Club Trained; We must have a minimum of 4 players who played for 3 years at Spurs between 15 and 21 (if we want to name a full squad of 25).
Association Trained; Players who have spent 3 years between 15 and 21 at English clubs. Since we will likely name the max number of foreign players then a max of 4 in this bracket.
List B; We can name as many under 21s as we wish. But there's a catch, they must have been at spurs for 2 years before they can be included in this list.

Dier is counted as foreign in both sets of rules as he came through the Portuguese academy and moved here when he was too old.
Rodon and Davies count as homegrown for FA games, but they are counted as foreign for UEFA games as they consider Welsh academies different to English ones.
Doherty is counted as foreign in both sets of rules as he went on loan to Scotland during part of his 3 year qualifying period in England.

FA Rules Squad;
Homegrown; 9 - (Austin, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Sessegnon, Skipp, Winks, Kane, Clarke)
Foreign; 17 [equal to the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Reguilion, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Under 21s; 1 - Sarr

FA Rules Squad;
Foreign; 20 [3 over the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Rodon, Reguilion, Davies, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Sarr, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)

As our squad currently stands, 1 senior player can't play in the PL and 3 foreign players can't play in Europe.
You would imagine that none of Clarke, Sarr, Lo Celso, and NDombele will be here next season. Doing this;
a) for FA, allows us to include Foster and then leaves 1 space for another player (of any nationality)
b) for UEFA, allows us to include Foster and have 1 space for an English trained player.

So we squad space for the likes of Sterling or Spence. But if we want to sign the likes of Bastoni, Eriksen, McKennie etc then we will need to shift more players.
The likes of Sanchez, Rodon, Reguilion, Royal, Doherty, Bergwijn, Moura, Gill will be the ones that Paratici will also need to find clubs for.

And you all thought the Predictor League Rules were complicated….I hope you won’t be asking questions later mate .

Always hated the fact that we have to tolerate 2 sets of rules.

That being said, there is less deviation from the PL team when you play in CL compared to EL or ECL. It doesn't make too much difference, unless you hit an injury crisis.

I still despise that fact that both the FA and UEFA won't recognise a British passport holder like Dier who has a long tenure in the country and represented our country.
It’s totally ridiculous . As well as having no common sense behind it , but when has
common sense meant anything to our football authorities .

Glad to see this post
As its something I didn't quite get, as it appeared other teams in Europe were playing Tom, Dick, And Harry, from any country, or should I say, Giovvanni, Pedro and Fritz....
I wasn't sure of the machinations.. of home grown, a bit odd yet now its a bit more clear

I guess the question becomes who are the available HG's that we should go after? We seemed to be linked with 3

Ward-Prowse
Spence
Forster

Surely there are more, and better.

As an example, after the World Cup Livramento might be fit so a January bid isn't out of the question.

FA Rules

UEFA Rules

FA Rules Squad;
Under 21s; 1 - Sarr

UEFA Rules Squad;

Very good summary, thanks for this Meee.

I guess the question becomes who are the available HG's that we should go after? We seemed to be linked with 3

Ward-Prowse
Spence
Forster

As an example, after the World Cup Livramento might be fit so a January bid isn't out of the question.
Certainly none of the three mentioned give much cause for excitement as potential signings. For as long as there is scope for signings within the foreign complement however, I don't envisage too much emphasis being directed toward HG signings by the current regime, more likely that opportunities from within will evolve over the course of time..

Certainly none of the three mentioned give much cause for excitement as potential signings. For as long as there is scope for signings within the foreign complement however, I don't envisage too much emphasis being directed toward HG signings by the current regime, more likely that opportunities from within will evolve over the course of time..

Yeah, I think you're right. I think we will have 17 foreign players, worst case 16.

We should get used to a match day squad of 20 players with only 3 or 4 HG's involved.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think we will have 17 foreign players, worst case 16.

We should get used to a match day squad of 20 players with only 3 or 4 HG's involved.

I guess we will but I'm not sure I like it. The England team might suffer if all clubs do the same. I'm not interested in this world cup but I do enjoy watching England play otherwise.

Ward-Prowse
Spence
Forster

I would rather promote from within.

Lavinier, White, Devine, Dane.

I really don't like the idea of buying home grown for the sake of ticking a box. Which we have done with Forster.

I hope that's the only time we do that.

I really don't like the idea of buying home grown for the sake of ticking a box. Which we have done with Forster.

Agree insofar as I feel that any HG purchases we make, which are invariably more expensive than foreign signings, should be confined to quality players who can step directly into the starting line up and make a difference. I really don't understand the signing of Forster. If we feel that Lloris days at the top level are numbered, we should have been buying somebody of the quality of Pope, or even maybe Butland, players on the right side of thirty, who can compete with Lloris for the position. Goalkeepers seldom need to be replaced or rested, whereby for that purpose alone, we do have youngsters who would no doubt suffice.
As far as HG players are concerned, hopefully in the years to come we can continue to uncover a few Kane, Winks, Tanganga and Skipps who can progressively fill the HG quota.

Nothing about ticking a box. It is proving that you can spot and land the best HG players out there.

There are a bunch of absolutely amazing kids in this country. It's such a shame that Gareth can't look beyond the Maguire's and Trippier's rather than the talent that is really at his disposal.

Nothing about ticking a box. It is proving that you can spot and land the best HG players out there.

There are a bunch of absolutely amazing kids in this country. It's such a shame that Gareth can't look beyond the Maguire's and Trippier's rather than the talent that is really at his disposal.

Agree there are some talented lads out there. Doesn't mean we will sign them.

For me signing Forster is a lazy tick box signing. He isn't the best English GK out there.

If we signed Pope or Hendersen I would have been more impressed.

I get it, sometimes it's a must to meet quota. But I don't want us to sign average home grown players just to meet the quota. I would rather give our kids a go.

I want the best British players coming here.

Easier said than done of course. It ain't cheap and most clubs won't sell their home grown.

This is an area Fabio and Conte will have to adapt in.

Agree there are some talented lads out there. Doesn't mean we will sign them.

For me signing Forster is a lazy tick box signing. He isn't the best English GK out there.

If we signed Pope or Hendersen I would have been more impressed.

I get it, sometimes it's a must to meet quota. But I don't want us to sign average home grown players just to meet the quota. I would rather give our kids a go.

I want the best British players coming here.

Easier said than done of course. It ain't cheap and most clubs won't sell their home grown.

This is an area Fabio and Conte will have to adapt in.
We would all love to see the likes of Pope & Henderson RD but they won't want to sit and watch Hugo week in week out, the latter in particular has done his fair share of that at United. It's always going to be a difficult position to manage and why so many clubs go for someone experienced and coming towards the end of their career. I'm not sure why clubs in the main aren't prepared to trust young talent as their backup keepers, I guess it's because there is so much at stake financially nowadays?

When will the time come that Hugos performances are in decline and we need an integrated and in tune keeper to either take over or challenge his place. It can't be that far off now. In which case getting ahead of that time would show foresight.