Homegrown Squad Rules | Page 2 | Vital Football

Homegrown Squad Rules

When will the time come that Hugos performances are in decline and we need an integrated and in tune keeper to either take over or challenge his place. It can't be that far off now. In which case getting ahead of that time would show foresight.
I agree.

We would all love to see the likes of Pope & Henderson RD but they won't want to sit and watch Hugo week in week out, the latter in particular has done his fair share of that at United. It's always going to be a difficult position to manage and why so many clubs go for someone experienced and coming towards the end of their career. I'm not sure why clubs in the main aren't prepared to trust young talent as their backup keepers, I guess it's because there is so much at stake financially nowadays?

My guess it is a backup keeper thing. It's no different as to why Rodon and Bergwijn should be getting themselves out of Spurs.

It's not a 1st team keeper thing though.

Edersen is 28 and has had 5 straight seasons as number 1 at City. Allison is 29 and either been Roma's or Pool's 1st choice for 6 years. De Gea is 31 and has had 11 years. Donnarumma 23 and had 6 years.

Just shows the elite keepers can do it at an early age. Dean Henderson is being weak taking the money and not getting himself out of Utd in my opinion.

You've got to think we are looking at some young talented keepers as we have released a good number of our academy keepers this month.

Wow - hadn't realised that we released all 4 of our U23 keepers. Austin and Whiteman are also 23 nowadays. They must be thinking about their careers having not made the breakthrough.

Agree there are some talented lads out there. Doesn't mean we will sign them.

For me signing Forster is a lazy tick box signing. He isn't the best English GK out there.

If we signed Pope or Hendersen I would have been more impressed.

I get it, sometimes it's a must to meet quota. But I don't want us to sign average home grown players just to meet the quota. I would rather give our kids a go.

I want the best British players coming here.

Easier said than done of course. It ain't cheap and most clubs won't sell their home grown.

This is an area Fabio and Conte will have to adapt in.
Normally I would agree with yo RD, I just don't think GK is one of those positions that you can trust to an unproven youngster.
They wanted Sam Johnstone but apparently he decided to go elsewhere.

Normally I would agree with yo RD, I just don't think GK is one of those positions that you can trust to an unproven youngster.
They wanted Sam Johnstone but apparently he decided to go elsewhere.

The top teams have the following backup keepers

Kelleher 23
Steffen 27
Kepa 27
Henderson 25

Only Arsenal have a 30 year old in Leno and I'm guessing he's leaving. Forster becomes the oldest by a long way at 34.

I'm OK with it though because I think we're buying ourselves time. You can see us spending £50m on a keeper next summer.

The top teams have the following backup keepers

Kelleher 23
Steffen 27
Kepa 27
Henderson 25

Only Arsenal have a 30 year old in Leno and I'm guessing he's leaving. Forster becomes the oldest by a long way at 34.

I'm OK with it though because I think we're buying ourselves time. You can see us spending £50m on a keeper next summer.
I agree muttley, my real point was they tried with Johnstone who we all thought was as good as done. As you say, it's assessing when Hugo is reaching that tipping point.

Agree there are some talented lads out there. Doesn't mean we will sign them.

For me signing Forster is a lazy tick box signing. He isn't the best English GK out there.

If we signed Pope or Hendersen I would have been more impressed.

I get it, sometimes it's a must to meet quota. But I don't want us to sign average home grown players just to meet the quota. I would rather give our kids a go.

I want the best British players coming here.

Easier said than done of course. It ain't cheap and most clubs won't sell their home grown.

This is an area Fabio and Conte will have to adapt in.

Agree. Forster is not our level at all.

With the signing of Forster, it's time to make the first amendment of what will hopefully be a busy summer.

1 other thing to note was my admission of Carter Vickers from the initial post, but he's now made his move to Celtic permanent after a successful loan. Apparently we've got £6m from it and that can rise to £10m with add ons.

FA Rules Squad;
Homegrown; 10 - (Forster, Austin, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Sessegnon, Skipp, Winks, Kane, Clarke)
Foreign; 17 [equal to the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Reguilion, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Total; 27 [2 over the limit]
Under 21s; 1 - Sarr

UEFA Rules Squad;
Club trained; 5 - (Austin, Tanganga, Skipp, Winks, Kane)
Association trained; 3 (Forster, Sessegnon, Clarke)
Foreign; 20 [3 over the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Rodon, Reguilion, Davies, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Sarr, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Total; 28 [3 over the limit]

With the signing of Forster, it's time to make the first amendment of what will hopefully be a busy summer.

1 other thing to note was my admission of Carter Vickers from the initial post, but he's now made his move to Celtic permanent after a successful loan. Apparently we've got £6m from it and that can rise to £10m with add ons.

FA Rules Squad;
Homegrown; 10 - (Forster, Austin, Tanganga, Rodon, Davies, Sessegnon, Skipp, Winks, Kane, Clarke)
Foreign; 17 [equal to the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Reguilion, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Total; 27 [2 over the limit]
Under 21s; 1 - Sarr

UEFA Rules Squad;
Club trained; 5 - (Austin, Tanganga, Skipp, Winks, Kane)
Association trained; 3 (Forster, Sessegnon, Clarke)
Foreign; 20 [3 over the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Rodon, Reguilion, Davies, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bentacur, NDombele, Lo Celso, Sarr, Son, Bergwijn, Kulu, Moura, Gil)
Total; 28 [3 over the limit]

It's tough to know where to draw the line. You could also add Scarlett, White, Parrott etc. Can these guys play a part over an entire season?

It's tough to know where to draw the line. You could also add Scarlett, White, Parrott etc. Can these guys play a part over an entire season?
I didn't include them as I took the list of our senior squad from the transfermarket website. But the other reason not to include them is because they are all under 21 and have been at spurs for at least 2 years. Therefore they have no impact on the squad size and each of them can be used throughout the season (in any competition) regardless of the current senior list of players.

I didn't include them as I took the list of our senior squad from the transfermarket website. But the other reason not to include them is because they are all under 21 and have been at spurs for at least 2 years. Therefore they have no impact on the squad size and each of them can be used throughout the season (in any competition) regardless of the current senior list of players.

Yeah, but my point is that there comes a time when your squad is too bloated and the average senior players are holding back the talented U21's. Logically you need the 20 man match day squad and about 5 extras to cover injuries.

17 foreign, 8 HG and 5 U21's doesn't work. So you have to start with the U21's and ask yourself how many of them can contribute when called upon. That tells you how many of the other 2 categories you need.

As a real example, why should Moura be blocking Bryan's path to the first team? As another example, how much playing time will Matar Sarr get and at how's expense?

FA Rules Squad;
Homegrown; 10 - (Forster, Austin, Tanganga, Davies, Spence, Sessegnon, Skipp, Kane, Rodon, Winks)
Foreign; 19 [2 over the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Lenglet, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bissouma, Bentacur, Son, Gil, Kulu, Moura, Richarlison, Reguilion, NDombele, Lo Celso)
Total; 29 [4 over the limit]
Under 21s; 1 - Sarr

UEFA Rules Squad;
Club trained; 5 - (Austin, Tanganga, Skipp, Kane, Winks)
Association trained; 3 (Forster, Spence, Sessegnon)
Foreign; 22 [5 over the limit] - (Lloris, Romero, Sanchez, Dier, Lenglet, Davies, Royal, Doherty, Perisic, Hojbjerg, Bissouma, Bentacur, Sarr, Son, Gil, Kulu, Moura, Richarlison, Rodon, Reguilion, NDombele, Lo Celso)
Total; 30 [5 over the limit]

Looks like we are trying to move on NDombele, Lo Celso, Reguilion, Rodon, and Winks and given the size of the squad wouldn't need to replace them either. Doing so will give space for 1 more foreign player in the league. In CL we will still be 1 over the foreign quota once we move them on.

Questions remaining;
Has Sarr done enough to earn the 5th CM spot in the squad or will he be loaned out and instead let somebody from the academy (Devine, White, John) take the role?
Is Tanganga going to leave as well as Rodon? If so we will need another CB brought in.
Is Gil going out on loan again? If so we will need another attacking player.
Which of Royal or Doherty are going to leave? (if any!)

What is the hold up with the likes of Winks, Reggie, Gio and Ndombele?

Are we asking for too much mula or don't they want to go?

It's a common theme here. We always struggle to sell players the manager doesn't want.

I don't expect them to be too difficult to move on other than Belly. I fear we could be stuck with him for another year. I could be wrong but nobody seems to want him.
Doesn't seem like there has been any serious interest in Winks, he and Ndombele could be difficult to shift, especially the latter.

Doesn't seem like there has been any serious interest in Winks, he and Ndombele could be difficult to shift, especially the latter.
Winks will be easy enough to shift. His salary won't be a problem, it's probably our asking price.

Ndombele has done himself no favours. He looks a shadow of his former self with on & off field problems a major cause for concern. He's on serious wedge to boot which will make him even more difficult to shift.

Ndombele has often been mooted to be on £200k/week but I can't honestly see we would have put him on a par with Kane when he joined. Anyone got any accurate information on his remuneration figures?

Ndombele has often been mooted to be on £200k/week but I can't honestly see we would have put him on a par with Kane when he joined. Anyone got any accurate information on his remuneration figures?

I'm guessing £200k a week is on target earnings (OTE). That is base salary + bonus, and it is up to us to guess the ratios between the two.

We have to hope that Tanguy has suffered on his OTE because he's lost his way at Spurs.

I would also love to think that when Kane decides to operate at 80%, he also suffers financially. Let's face it, we all witnessed Kane's assists nose dive in the second half of the 20/21 season, before the Euro's. A bunch of us also wrote about his half arsed commitment to the team. We also saw him turn up last season and be very ineffective for at least a third of the season after the summer BS when he over-entitled himself. That should hit him in his pocket if his remuneration is set right by the club.

For me, no difference player to player, but I hope Tanguy leaves permanently.