HE'S GONE!!! | Page 12 | Vital Football

HE'S GONE!!!

I got 25% of the way down and had to go for a shave!
I could respond with a single question.

Are we in a better place than when he took over?

The answer is clearly yes, so in that respect we were moving forwards and personally I don’t understand the need for change.
I’d be pretty sure no team in history has been promoted after signing/releasing so many players, so to me the sensible plan would be to give him next season as well.

As usual fans expectations got out of hand based on spending a few quid and that expectation is what has seen Karanka off which to me is the wrong decision.

If you look back through history excluding relegated teams it’s difficult to name any teams who’ve ‘bought’ promotion!
I can only think of Blackburn back in the day and Wolves last season, the norm is teams build over 2-3 seasons getting closer each year, see Brighton, Bournemouth, Leicester Hull etc
Not sure I agree with you about fan expectations.

Most fans I know or talk to were happy that we were competitive at the right end of the table and just wanted to see a bit more adventure and consistency with our play.

From what I have seen, heard and read it was our illustrious owner who quite clearly thought we should be doing better after the summers outlay.

In the past we may have had an indirect hand in a managers exit but not in this one. AK himself stated that he felt the fans had always been with him.

Why I am not surprised that you were going to be the first to respond.

Popey, instead of writing a dozen responses to a 10 page thread.. I let things cool down a bit and wrote one `paragraph`... I know that you dont agree with most of what i wrote, apologies if my contribution is not deemed as good enough for a pulizer prize...but knowing how inteligent you are...I am sure you know where i was going at ... ;-)

Listen Malta, I know you think people are having a go at you because English isn’t your first language. That is not the case, you are clearly a very passionate fan and people WANT to read what you have to say. However, when faced with a wall of text people switch off, because trying to read it, is so much like a chore.

We want to read what you have to say, but you make it so difficult to read.

I havent commented much in the last day. The situation at the club wasnt an easy one and everyone in here knows where I stand when it comes to managers and their performance.
Now that it seems the situation with AK has been cleared, some might say that I am happy. The truth is, I am not. I will only be happy when we are in the Premiership, and IF possible, on the way there we play some nice and exciting football.
No matter what many say, I dont classify our time under AK as a successful one. I dont buy the part that he got a broken team and brought it on the verge of the play offs. Other managers (Forest) inherited our team with much less resources and `worst` players, and achieved better or similar results to AK. Lets admit it, he was no Ferguson or Wenger in the making (it will be interesting to see where he will end up now). No other manager (in the last 10 years at least), was able (by being supported by the ownership) to bring so many new players and offload a similar number, in such a short period of time. it was his choice, no one forced him to do it. Instead of trying to work with what was here and fine tune (like most of other managers at this level do), he preferred to go the `total clean up route`. Was it working? In my opinion no. he was playing the `trial and error` game, with other peoples money. Look at the players that he brought to the club in the past 12 months and at the same time look at the team that was playing (regularly) in the last games.Was it an upgrade? an upgrade that justified the net spent.
Keepers: he brought Pant and Steele- especially the former, i dont think that they came cheap. Did this area of the team improved that much? Probably we will never know as Smith was never given the chance to play in a defence made up of the players that played infront of Panti.
Defence: even though he tried to side line Dariwka, he ended up using him regularly, On the left hand side he brought a player (Robinson) that he is performing reasonably well, definetly he has no resale value and we all know that we need better to be considered a really top division team, in the meantime we have Robo (paying his wages) for a couple of more seasons.
Central Defence- he loaned out Worrall, not giving the boy a real chance to play alongside more experienced players. Instead he brought in Hefele. A player that from what has transpired, he wanted to sell this month !!!. Our defence still relies on the good old Fox, again another player that he inherited. We also spent over 2 million on Figi, is he really worth that money? many say that when Dawson is fit, our best partnership is Fox-dawson, so at most Figi is back up. If we needed just a young back up, why we didnt keep Worrall. One of ours, that cost us nothing.
Midfield: Here apart from Lolley, for the rest I have to say that the investment here was a flop.
He inherited Cash and Ozzy, did these two players improve under AK as much as the club expected? It seems that Ozzy`s development stalled a wee bit, cash on the other hand, started the season in a bang, but I feel that technically he didnt improve much. A player that runs into players was and a player that runs into players still is.
Watson? what a waste of money. It was clear last season that his legs were gone. What AK does? he makes him club captain. Watson was good enough for the last three months of last season and thas it, why give him a permanent contract and force/saddle a wage on the club. He will not be easy to offload and definetly the club will be taking a hit with his signing.
Gueddy: Slightly better then Watson, but in the long run, not the type of player to sign permanently if you consider yourself a top division team. after all he was surplus to requirements at a team that we were expected to compete with.
Colback was a good signing both for last season and same for this one, but he is not ours. If we erase these three from our central midfield (Watson,Gueddy and Colback), we end up have to rebuild a complete new central midfield.
Yacob is showing that was a decent/useful signing. Even here, AK`s behaviour was a bit dodgy. We had to wait almost 3 months from his signing to see him on the field, why? In first game he already showed that he was up to speed. AK was playing Watson instead of him ...for months. maybe not to drop Watson so early in the season after giving him a permanent contract?
No need to mention the strange signing of the Greek fella, cause I dont know if he was forced on him or not, the situation with this player looked very much like the Boyd-Billy MKI situation.
On the striker front, the signing of Grabban was a good one and the price we paid was reasonable for a player of his level. So a plus for AK on this one.
The Iranian: similar to the greek, was he an AK signing or was it forced on him. How you can sign a player and then play him for a maximum of 10 minutes in the odd game? It took Grabban 6 full games to start getting a grip to the system and the team. What he expected from the iranian? that he will score a hat trick in 5 minutes?
The three portugese: I dont know if these players were forced on him or what was his part on their signing, but my view on them has been pretty clear. Diaz and Gonclavez , bar a miracle from the new coac/manager, might as well go back, as i dont see them much being part of a team that wants to win promotion, at least this year. they came here on a season long loan, so we expected them to be ready to be regulars and not to play a bit part in the campaign. for that we might aswell used a couple of our kids and not somebody elses, and to make it even worse, if we opted to keep them, we had to pay astronomical figures.
In regard Carvalio, I said enough of the boy. He might turn up to be the new Ronaldo, but for what we need right now, he is suitable. Chelsea paying 12 million for a player and then send him on loan somewhere to develop is one thing, Forest to spend the same figure is a different matter. My gut feeling is that if the new manager is allowed to sign between four and five players, Carvalio will be one of those to be replaced. I dont mean that he will not play again, he will cause somehow the club must get something from someone that costed twice of what we paid for the next most expensive signing, but he will not be as regular as he was under AK . Offcourse all this might change, if some of the less performing and under used players are given a second chance and they grab it with both hands (by the new manager).

I wish to see how the players behave today, during and after the game v Reading. We know that Dawson is Forest through and through. We saw earlier in the season, when he was on the touchline, how emotional he was. Now, is his chance to give even more. I have a feeling that the players respect him a lot. I know he is not the long term of the club (on the bench), but if he can manage to lift the morale of the team by at least 20%, that should be enough to see us through the next couple of games, and to keep us in contention. If we let him and Ireland continue till the end of the season, that is another matter. Man U did it, why cant we do it too. We all know were the upgrades are needed, if these players are brought in and Ireland/Dawson are happy with them...let them try to finish the season and then we assess the situation then.
Engaging and sacking managers is expensive, not just in regards their personal package. I think that with a couple of signings (starters and not back ups), this squad is good enough to make the play offs.
I am sure that AK wasnt relived just for the results only or some of them)...his relationship with the management and (probably with some of the players) wasnt great...that is not a receipt for promotion ... a similar situation to Billy, maybe that was kept more under wraps , but still toxic...

Eeee bro, if i want to respond to a fraction of those points then it would take 2 pages to reply. Bullet list! lol

Listen Malta, I know you think people are having a go at you because English isn’t your first language. That is not the case, you are clearly a very passionate fan and people WANT to read what you have to say. However, when faced with a wall of text people switch off, because trying to read it, is so much like a chore.

We want to read what you have to say, but you make it so difficult to read.
Welcome FF59, always good to have new members on Nottingham Forest’s bestest forum.

I havent commented much in the last day. The situation at the club wasnt an easy one and everyone in here knows where I stand when it comes to managers and their performance.
Now that it seems the situation with AK has been cleared, some might say that I am happy. The truth is, I am not. I will only be happy when we are in the Premiership, and IF possible, on the way there we play some nice and exciting football.
No matter what many say, I dont classify our time under AK as a successful one. I dont buy the part that he got a broken team and brought it on the verge of the play offs. Other managers (Forest) inherited our team with much less resources and `worst` players, and achieved better or similar results to AK. Lets admit it, he was no Ferguson or Wenger in the making (it will be interesting to see where he will end up now). No other manager (in the last 10 years at least), was able (by being supported by the ownership) to bring so many new players and offload a similar number, in such a short period of time. it was his choice, no one forced him to do it. Instead of trying to work with what was here and fine tune (like most of other managers at this level do), he preferred to go the `total clean up route`. Was it working? In my opinion no. he was playing the `trial and error` game, with other peoples money. Look at the players that he brought to the club in the past 12 months and at the same time look at the team that was playing (regularly) in the last games.Was it an upgrade? an upgrade that justified the net spent.
Keepers: he brought Pant and Steele- especially the former, i dont think that they came cheap. Did this area of the team improved that much? Probably we will never know as Smith was never given the chance to play in a defence made up of the players that played infront of Panti.
Defence: even though he tried to side line Dariwka, he ended up using him regularly, On the left hand side he brought a player (Robinson) that he is performing reasonably well, definetly he has no resale value and we all know that we need better to be considered a really top division team, in the meantime we have Robo (paying his wages) for a couple of more seasons.
Central Defence- he loaned out Worrall, not giving the boy a real chance to play alongside more experienced players. Instead he brought in Hefele. A player that from what has transpired, he wanted to sell this month !!!. Our defence still relies on the good old Fox, again another player that he inherited. We also spent over 2 million on Figi, is he really worth that money? many say that when Dawson is fit, our best partnership is Fox-dawson, so at most Figi is back up. If we needed just a young back up, why we didnt keep Worrall. One of ours, that cost us nothing.
Midfield: Here apart from Lolley, for the rest I have to say that the investment here was a flop.
He inherited Cash and Ozzy, did these two players improve under AK as much as the club expected? It seems that Ozzy`s development stalled a wee bit, cash on the other hand, started the season in a bang, but I feel that technically he didnt improve much. A player that runs into players was and a player that runs into players still is.
Watson? what a waste of money. It was clear last season that his legs were gone. What AK does? he makes him club captain. Watson was good enough for the last three months of last season and thas it, why give him a permanent contract and force/saddle a wage on the club. He will not be easy to offload and definetly the club will be taking a hit with his signing.
Gueddy: Slightly better then Watson, but in the long run, not the type of player to sign permanently if you consider yourself a top division team. after all he was surplus to requirements at a team that we were expected to compete with.
Colback was a good signing both for last season and same for this one, but he is not ours. If we erase these three from our central midfield (Watson,Gueddy and Colback), we end up have to rebuild a complete new central midfield.
Yacob is showing that was a decent/useful signing. Even here, AK`s behaviour was a bit dodgy. We had to wait almost 3 months from his signing to see him on the field, why? In first game he already showed that he was up to speed. AK was playing Watson instead of him ...for months. maybe not to drop Watson so early in the season after giving him a permanent contract?
No need to mention the strange signing of the Greek fella, cause I dont know if he was forced on him or not, the situation with this player looked very much like the Boyd-Billy MKI situation.
On the striker front, the signing of Grabban was a good one and the price we paid was reasonable for a player of his level. So a plus for AK on this one.
The Iranian: similar to the greek, was he an AK signing or was it forced on him. How you can sign a player and then play him for a maximum of 10 minutes in the odd game? It took Grabban 6 full games to start getting a grip to the system and the team. What he expected from the iranian? that he will score a hat trick in 5 minutes?
The three portugese: I dont know if these players were forced on him or what was his part on their signing, but my view on them has been pretty clear. Diaz and Gonclavez , bar a miracle from the new coac/manager, might as well go back, as i dont see them much being part of a team that wants to win promotion, at least this year. they came here on a season long loan, so we expected them to be ready to be regulars and not to play a bit part in the campaign. for that we might aswell used a couple of our kids and not somebody elses, and to make it even worse, if we opted to keep them, we had to pay astronomical figures.
In regard Carvalio, I said enough of the boy. He might turn up to be the new Ronaldo, but for what we need right now, he is suitable. Chelsea paying 12 million for a player and then send him on loan somewhere to develop is one thing, Forest to spend the same figure is a different matter. My gut feeling is that if the new manager is allowed to sign between four and five players, Carvalio will be one of those to be replaced. I dont mean that he will not play again, he will cause somehow the club must get something from someone that costed twice of what we paid for the next most expensive signing, but he will not be as regular as he was under AK . Offcourse all this might change, if some of the less performing and under used players are given a second chance and they grab it with both hands (by the new manager).

I wish to see how the players behave today, during and after the game v Reading. We know that Dawson is Forest through and through. We saw earlier in the season, when he was on the touchline, how emotional he was. Now, is his chance to give even more. I have a feeling that the players respect him a lot. I know he is not the long term of the club (on the bench), but if he can manage to lift the morale of the team by at least 20%, that should be enough to see us through the next couple of games, and to keep us in contention. If we let him and Ireland continue till the end of the season, that is another matter. Man U did it, why cant we do it too. We all know were the upgrades are needed, if these players are brought in and Ireland/Dawson are happy with them...let them try to finish the season and then we assess the situation then.
Engaging and sacking managers is expensive, not just in regards their personal package. I think that with a couple of signings (starters and not back ups), this squad is good enough to make the play offs.
I am sure that AK wasnt relived just for the results only or some of them)...his relationship with the management and (probably with some of the players) wasnt great...that is not a receipt for promotion ... a similar situation to Billy, maybe that was kept more under wraps , but still toxic...

Well said. I really don't get the love in for kranky. One of our worst ever managers. Spent a fortune on garbage players. You forgot Soudani too. Another garbage signing. £2.5m down the shitter on a 31 year old. Fig is worth about £250k, not £2m. Geddy and Watson both old and past it. The club is now saddled with kranky's signings and the club will be close to FFP restrictions again, so the new manager won't have much room to manoeuvre. Marinakis shouldn't have trusted him with the money, as we were shite last season under him too. Last game of the season was classic kranky, 2-1 up then conceding 2 in 2 minutes to allow Bolton to stay up. Terrible manager.

Well said. I really don't get the love in for kranky. One of our worst ever managers. Spent a fortune on garbage players. You forgot Soudani too. Another garbage signing. £2.5m down the shitter on a 31 year old. Fig is worth about £250k, not £2m. Geddy and Watson both old and past it. The club is now saddled with kranky's signings and the club will be close to FFP restrictions again, so the new manager won't have much room to manoeuvre. Marinakis shouldn't have trusted him with the money, as we were shite last season under him too. Last game of the season was classic kranky, 2-1 up then conceding 2 in 2 minutes to allow Bolton to stay up. Terrible manager.
You’re not clever enough to understand FFP you ?. You and Malta should meet up, you’re both fuckin idiots.

Sooo, What is the difference with or without AK....... win 4-2 against table leader vs. lose 0-2 against second worst!

That's a little bit misleading as for a long time (even before Karanka) we would always seem to do well against the best teams and struggle against the ones near the bottom of the table.

He has previous but that smells like a drop in from a club official close to chubby.

From what I have been told that report is a very accurate assessment of what transpired.

Karanka has been throwing his toys out since October apparently; he did not take too kindly to some of the appointments the club made.

His recent threat to leave was not the first; he met with Marianakis last week, who attempted to talk him round, his efforts were met with more belligerence and unrealistic demands.

Marianakis decided to cut his losses and let him go.

That came has a big surprise to me when I heard it, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity or the credibility of the person who told me.

The two Greek guys on LTLF, who have been quite accurate with their predictions, have stated all along that if EM wanted AK out, he would have gone in the first instance without any hesitation.

Yes a lot of money was spent under karankas watch but how many of the people brought in were at his request? We may be saddled with a lot of players that got marinakis points with an agent to allow him better acquisitions for the Greek club.

From what I have been told that report is a very accurate assessment of what transpired.

Karanka has been throwing his toys out since October apparently; he did not take too kindly to some of the appointments the club made.

His recent threat to leave was not the first; he met with Marianakis last week, who attempted to talk him round, his efforts were met with more belligerence and unrealistic demands.

That came has a big surprise to me when I heard it, but I have no reason to doubt the authenticity or the credibility of the person who told me.

The two Greek guys on LTLF, who have been quite accurate with their predictions, have stated all along that if EM wanted AK out, he would have gone in the first instance without any hesitation.
So in short....AK is a quiet Billy...

There is a history of a kind of instability around Karanka.

However, that is part of the due diligence in picking a manager. You able to agree to work with that and presumably the board have done things and appointed people that run contrary to what Karanka felt he agreed to when joining.

That doesn't look good from either side.

Yes a lot of money was spent under karankas watch but how many of the people brought in were at his request? We may be saddled with a lot of players that got marinakis points with an agent to allow him better acquisitions for the Greek club.
That is quiet an accusation...!!!!

There is a history of a kind of instability around Karanka.

However, that is part of the due diligence in picking a manager. You able to agree to work with that and presumably the board have done things and appointed people that run contrary to what Karanka felt he agreed to when joining.

That doesn't look good from either side.
Pope at this stage dont know who to believe...what is clear is that not much attention has been given to the fans and their feeling. In a season where we are having a full house almost in every game, this internal 'war' came surprisingly out of the blue....its like watching 'House of Cards'...

After the initial problems when karanka first threatened to walk I’d imagine the board started to sound out possible replacements in case he did,this would have only made things worse and so it became a downward spiral from then on.

Not an easy read, but this IS well worth reading. Sums up most of my feelings. AK has only done an ok job, so I don't understand the backlash against our owners. I wouldn't have sacked him, but he has made about 4 decent signings out of about 30. The Leeds game apart (missed the WBA home game), I have not seen a really entertaining home game. We also seem to be getting worse, rather than gelling.

This is why I've never bought into the theory that Anigo was brought in to force AK out.

Marinakis is hardly the type to f**k around and he would have sacked AK long ago if he'd wanted to.