Here we go.... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Here we go....

The German commentator was saying he'd never seen such a soft penalty, and that we should have got two for the judo moves on Kane.

More worrying was the second half, where we had that petrified look we had against Iceland and didn't look remotely like scoring. Thank God we got away with it.

We'll take the points but it did show what a gap there is between us and the better teams. I struggle that Young is a world cup footballer and Sterling was disappointing.

Still we move on and that three points will probably see us out of the group.

The VAR thing is ludicrous though given that they didn't decide that the foul (Judo throw) on Kane wasn't worth a review.

Looked like change of instructions at half time to the players to play careful and play on the break. Same old tactics as used by Southgate with the U21s.

Its ok playing three defenders who can use the ball but they all have a mistake or two in them. Main thing is that we won :)

We'll take the points but it did show what a gap there is between us and the better teams.
I disagree - a lot of the other world class teams have struggled this first game and perhaps bailed out by a world class talent. With us I felt our workrate and pressuring will stand us in good stead. It was down to some poor finishing but also some unlucky finishing, but like I say with one or two changes (people only seem to whinge about Sterling, Lingard and Henderson which is a good sign) we’ll be there or thereabouts.

What pisses me off about Young is he's a cheat. A dirty one at that.
I would rather see England lose , than sink to the depths of other teams cheating players. We should be setting an example to the others. With VAR and multiple camera angles , let's sort these players out !
Mini rant over !

The German commentator was saying he'd never seen such a soft penalty, and that we should have got two for the judo moves on Kane.

More worrying was the second half, where we had that petrified look we had against Iceland and didn't look remotely like scoring. Thank God we got away with it.

Agree we didn’t look like scoring but didn’t see the fear that was so obvious against Iceland. I think we saw a team that will struggle to break down a well organised side (a bit like the Gills). We kept going and got our just rewards in the end.

We'll take the points but it did show what a gap there is between us and the better teams.

As is usually the case after the first round of games, nobody has looked particularly impressive so far. I fail to see any conclusive proof from the evidence on show that there is a gulf in class between us and any team. I think we all suspect that is the case but can only see reason to be positive after a difficult game.

Felt we were very very good for the first 25, heads went down a bit after the pen and I was a little concerned about our (lack of) response. The substitutions made a difference and I was impressed with the fact that we stayed the course for the last minute win.
All in all I think it was a good test for our young team which they passed..... just.
Should have had it wrapped up within half an hour and I take solace from the fact that we created loads of chances and that we couldn't possibly miss that many in one match again. Could we?

Yes, we reverted to type and froze in the second half. So much for the new approach. Not having a go at Southgate, his job is almost impossible. We only have one bloke who seems capable of scoring. Shocking air shot (Lingard?) exemplified this. Terrible 2nd half - groundhog day as I said.

We'll , I'm chuffed , and on Sunday will be holidaying in Sevilla.
2pm kick off will mean tapas , beer and hopefully some shady bar with a big TV.
C'mon you Lions:wahey:

A win's a win but we've got to be more clinical if we want to progress. Young definitely a weak link for me - some decent deliveries but he just can't go past the player in front of him. Sterling flattered to deceive as ever, I fear he's a bottler. So Rashford has got to start for one of those. If we want to play from the back, we have to shift the ball quicker to trouble better teams. An honourable mention for Maguire too, he really grew into the game.

Missed the winner driving to work. Overall a good starting performance I thought.
Did Tunisia come in as the highest ranked African nation?
For once I actually enjoyed an England Match