Here we go.... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Here we go....

Looking vack on it perhaps I was a bit harsh as it is hard to break down a 10 man defence. I really wanted Sterling to do well if just to stuff it to our shit stirring press but als he did his headless chicken routine again. Get Rashford in. Loftus-Cheek was better than Alli and I wasn't impressed by Young. Otherwise a good team performance. If we had more than one player who knew how to score it would have been all over by half time instead of the customary torture we went through.

Still think the BBC commentary was really biased.

Btw I heard Mark Halsey on 5Live criticising the ref's time management. F### me, talk about pot and kettle after what he did to us in 1999.

I was happy with the start, didn't think it was a penalty (way too many penalties awarded in this tournament so far), we lost our way after that. Subs were positive but could have arrived earlier. Great effort to keep going for a winner against a side that offered little more than a reasonable defensive performance and a LOT of cynical play. The winner was pure justice and I felt not one iota of sympathy for the Tunisians.

Young doesn't (or cannot) beat his man, Sterling is great on the ball but has no end product and I would like to see both benched going forward.

Panama look like they tire in the second half so a reasonably comfortable win should be on the cards.

Anyone watching England may perhaps think that packing the defence and hitting us on the break is the way to go and there will be better teams out there than Tunisia. They gave McGuire all the freedom he needed while others may not be so generous. Converting chances when you're on top will make all the difference and that will come as the tournament progresses. Not sure Young is of the right calibre to start a game, as HerrL mentioned, and surely start with Rashford but then I'm not the manager.

Young doesn't (or cannot) beat his man, Sterling is great on the ball but has no end product and I would like to see both benched going forward.

I agree although I am not sure the job of a wing back is actually to beat his man regularly. Risks losing possession if attempted in defensive areas. What struck me though is that he does not seem to attempt to tackle fairly. Reminds me of Scholes in that respect. Only seems to be looking to push in the back or foul.

The problem is that I don't think Danny Rose has had enough games to recover his top form. Makes the omission of ex-gill Ryan Bertrand seem a mistake.

I thought we did well, nerves tended to have several players snatching at chances they would normally bury but overall a pleasing performance.
Whilst I'm not saying we shouldn't have a change for the next game, I do feel that a sub has the advantage of fresh legs and only 20 minutes to play, he can afford to run hard and chase every ball.

The first 20 minutes was probably the best football of the competition so far, so i take great pleasure from that. However, once Tunisia changed their tactics , the second half was no different to the performances against Slovakia, Algeria, Iceland etc. We shouldn't gloss over that as it is a big concern.

Well, I'm looking forward to Panama, hopefully we'll squeak a cheeky little 1-0 defeat instead of an awful 2-1 win so Hardy will be happy (although "us lot" probably won't be happy with that!!!!)

The first 20 minutes was probably the best football of the competition so far, so i take great pleasure from that. However, once Tunisia changed their tactics , the second half was no different to the performances against Slovakia, Algeria, Iceland etc. We shouldn't gloss over that as it is a big concern.

Of course it was different. This time we scored. And actually even in the apparently awful second half we still had a couple of good chances that people seem to conveniently forget in order to reinforce their predetermined opinions on the matter.

Sorry but we were much better than in previous crap games. There was no comparison.

I'm not saying we won't do crap but some people are massively over analysing and using a 20 minute lull in performance in what was an otherwise very good performance to moan its 'same old england' etc. "We should be massively concerned" etc.

Sorry but i think the game was positive.

Loftus-Cheek made a good impact, keen to see more of him
Obviously worth noting whether he made an impact coming on as a sub agaisnt tired legs or whether he'd do the same as a starter.

I suspect just like in the rugby, our 'finishers' are just as important as the starters and you don't want to swap them around too quickly on the basis of one performance.

Dont forget many people thought the first half was some of the best football theyd seen of the tournament so far, of which the starters were all key to that.

Dont forget many people thought the first half was some of the best football theyd seen of the tournament so far, of which the starters were all key to that.

I agree, I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to ditch Sterling. Some of the players didn't have their best games, but it's only been one game. He could cut Panama to shreds.

If Alli is struggling he can be rested, but other than that it's important to keep the team together and push on. I'd be interested to see how Belgium do against Tunisia (who in reality are actually French).

I agree, I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to ditch Sterling. Some of the players didn't have their best games, but it's only been one game. He could cut Panama to shreds.
I agree with this; for all the people being critical of Young, Sterling and Lingard, just because they weren’t at the top of their game in the opening match, doesn’t suddenly make them rubbish players that shouldn’t be in the squad!
Young is a converted winger but had kept Luke Shaw out of the full back position at United all season so must impress Mourinho. He hit a poor free kick a yard over and was castigated for it, Trippier curled one a yard wide yet people seemed to ignore this?
Sterling’s early miss was embarrassing, but I think it was offside anyway, and anyone who has watched the Premier League for the past few years will know he is not a natural in front of goal, very inconsistent, but has just had his best season for City.
Lingard was unlucky 2 or 3 times with shots blocked/saved and post hit, and he fluffed a couple of others as the early misses seemed to knock his confidence, but he is a player who can score from virtually nothing and he creates chances too.
I don’t think the team we put out against Panama should matter too much in any case, but the longer we go without scoring the harder it will get.

Oh and why does everyone keep banging on about that Ronaldo fella? I mean, he's ok but when was the last time he scored a hat trick?:shrug: