Has anyone ever started afresh? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Has anyone ever started afresh?

Bloke here has just told me his wife is a secondary teacher. He said some of the stories she comes home with are scary! He came out with the obvious ones about knives and backchat etc, but then came out with this cracker.

Apparently at her school, there is something called the BJ club, and it is exactly as it sounds.

3 or 4 girls at lunch breaks would go to the end of the playing field and get in a line on their knees.

The boys would then form and orderly queue and well you can guess the rest!

WOW! How things have changed. All we had in my day was kiss chase! Oh to be young again!

2 of my mates are currently out of work

one has been in the motor industry for 15 years and just had enough of the hours and quit, he wanted a new industry.. he has no chance. No one will look at him even though he has proof that he hits sales targets etc.

the other has been in IT for 10 years, just left his job and is struggling to get another job in IT.

its tough out there mate, I would suggest applying for other jobs in IT now, let them know of the redundancy coming up and most will be happy to wait for you to get your pay off etc.. then while in employment you can train and look elsewhere while still bringing in a full income and keeping all your money.

once the money stops and debts rise you start getting stress at home and then arguments happen...

Not read beyond first post, so forgive me if I repeat anything.

Reference primary school teaching yes you need a degree, get one in primary education. If you have a grade c or above in English & Maths you can teach numeracy and literacy. They ar always after male primary school teachers.

Good luck

DeanoVilla - 15/4/2013 13:52

Bloke here has just told me his wife is a secondary teacher. He said some of the stories she comes home with are scary! He came out with the obvious ones about knives and backchat etc, but then came out with this cracker.

Apparently at her school, there is something called the BJ club, and it is exactly as it sounds.

3 or 4 girls at lunch breaks would go to the end of the playing field and get in a line on their knees.

The boys would then form and orderly queue and well you can guess the rest!

WOW! How things have changed. All we had in my day was kiss chase! Oh to be young again!

Hmmm, not so sure about that. I went to an all boys school :92:

Disgusting to hear about that bj club. When i was at school there was nothing like that. There was a rumour one lad put it in the wrong hole once and that was it.

They don't know they're born nowadays.

The other thing you could look at is being a tutor. Do your PTLLS then you can basically set up your own training company offering IT training. You could then approach work programme companies offering this service and get paid. We are using a company at the moment to do it.
http://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications/learning/teaching/6302-preparing-to-teach-in-the-lifelong-learning-sector-ptlls

That's a link to show you the course. I'm gonna be doing mine soon

I'm currently in the process of starting afresh. Served an apprenticeship as an electrician but had been thinking about engineering for ages. Was approaching 30th birthday then when recession hit and hours being reduced decided to go for it, now or never mentality. Once this year's finished i'm into my final year. It's daunting at first but you'll always wonder 'what if?' if it's something you really want to do. I'd say go for it.

Well teaching is out. Just spoken to an advisor from the education.gov website and got told you definitely need a degree. No fast tracks without one.

Would take 3 years full time and 25k in fees.

No way can I a) afford to be out of work for 3 years or b) want to be in debt to the tune of 25k for the rest of my life.

Back to the drawing board.

I've now narrrowed it down to -

a) win the lottery

b) commit a crime and live at her majesty's pleasure... I hear they get playstations in prison now.

c) take my redundancy money to Vegas and go death or glory. Either come back rich, or spend the rest of my days living in a box in the Old Town, sucking off tourists for $20 a pop.

d) Attempt to get another job in IT.

e) Suicide.

Maybe I should start a poll?

c)....

Can I come?!

I'd look at other IT jobs for now mate, better to plan a major change whilst you have the security of £ coming in.

I started afresh pair of boxer shorts today. Thought it was time.

Not sure a poll is a good idea , knowing how minds work on here.

I would bet that C & E would be favourites to top the poll.

Do wish the govt would be more flexible

Still fail to see why a degree is needed in each and every case.They will lose a lot of good potential teachers like this

I couldn't go into teacher training because my post-grad qualifications weren't suitable - I needed a degree.

I've now started a degree course which I am having to fund up-front myself as I couldn't get a student loan because I have qualifications of a higher level than degree.

The fact that I've never received *any* support for my studies is irrelevant. My argument that surely *everyone* should be entitled to a student loan *once* fell on deaf ears.

When you see some of the wasters 'studying' that do get the help it can wind you up a little. Regardless, I won't let it beat me.

I find it a bit ironic that someone who wants to go into the field of education thinks they should be able to teach without a degree. Am I the only one?

Between my husband and myself we are currently paying off more than $60,000 in student loans and will most likely be paying them off for the rest of our lives.

Generally dont people who teach, have to be one level above those they are teaching?

Therefore a primary school teacher needs college education, secondary schoolteacher needs a degree to teach gcses and a levels (education certificate in the future?) and at uni you get taught by doctors and people with masters degrees.

The 2 guys I work with both have degrees and say the degree hasn't helped them at all in real life. All getting a egree proves is that you can study for a degree.

I have good GCSE's, a BTEC National Diploma in IT and 15 years IT work experience.

I've taken the 2 mock numeracy and literacy tests on the education website and passed both with flying colours without any revision.

I don't see how a degree can be the deciding factor when it comes to suitablity of teaching 5-11 year olds.

Surely personailty, enthusiasm, life/work experience and other qualifications should count for something?

I think the entry criteria needs more flexibilty personally, but hey ho. They've just lost a potentially great teacher, which without blowing my trumpet too much I know I would have been.