Has anyone ever started afresh? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Has anyone ever started afresh?

A lot of sought after professions have cut off criteria that they dont look beyond, and this must be theirs.

I once worked as a barristers clerk and part of the job was sorting out applicants for pupilage - trainee barrister positions within the chambers. They took on a handful each year and they initial cut off for applicants was having 4 A's at A-level! I couldnt get my hat on that they would turn away great candidates, and potentially excellent barristers because they may have got a B in one of them, even if the remainder of the CV was perfect. But those were the rules when it came to narrowing down the applications.

The job I am in now I wouldnt have got if it wasnt for my degree. I'm an accountant and have trained to be so while in this job, costing the business somewhere in the region of 10k. My degree is in geography almost entirely irrelevant to what i do now. But the MD at the time only took on graduates for roles, it was his way. The company my dad worked for for nearly 50 years is the same.

You cannot teach if you are on the sex offenders register.It may have only been flashing,but rules are rules.

DeanoVilla - 16/4/2013 10:16

Well teaching is out. Just spoken to an advisor from the education.gov website and got told you definitely need a degree. No fast tracks without one.

Would take 3 years full time and 25k in fees.

No way can I a) afford to be out of work for 3 years or b) want to be in debt to the tune of 25k for the rest of my life.

Back to the drawing board.

I've now narrrowed it down to -

a) win the lottery

b) commit a crime and live at her majesty's pleasure... I hear they get playstations in prison now.

c) take my redundancy money to Vegas and go death or glory. Either come back rich, or spend the rest of my days living in a box in the Old Town, sucking off tourists for $20 a pop.

d) Attempt to get another job in IT.

e) Suicide.

Maybe I should start a poll?

Yep, Dan is having to do that too. he thought the 2 years teaching English as a second language in china would get him an 'in', but no, he has to go to uni.

SiggyBrownie - 16/4/2013 13:29

I find it a bit ironic that someone who wants to go into the field of education thinks they should be able to teach without a degree. Am I the only one?

Between my husband and myself we are currently paying off more than $60,000 in student loans and will most likely be paying them off for the rest of our lives.

No, hadn't really thought very deeply in truth but as the question has been posed, I don't think it is wrong to expect every teacher to have a degree.

So no Siggy, you're not the only one... maybe we are the only two!

Well given the mess those with degrees have made of the educational system, let Deano in I say!!

sirdennis - 16/4/2013 14:49

DeanoVilla - 16/4/2013 14:41

Maybe we could suck cock in Vegas together?

In public service jobs , aren't they going to look at postings on social network sites now ?

So if the Headmaster is a bumder I'm in with a shout?

To be fair can see why you need a degree to teach, there's a lot to it and teaching is one of the better courses where you actually get some experience out on the job whilst at Uni, bit like Nursing but not as much. You do sit here at Uni tho and think how are some of these academic assignments going to help me as a Nurse and it's the same with teaching. One of my best friends is in her final few months doing a primary school teaching degree and her 12,000 word dissertation is in for this Friday. Probably wont have much bearing on how good a teacher she is but they say you put theory into practice. For a start without degrees, there'd be too many people trying to go into careers such as teaching.

As for changing direction, it's hard. It's hard to get out of the comfort zone your in. Some of the women on my course are older and have had to give up jobs and go to £550 a month bursary to be a student nurse and they've got families and mortgages etc. Its tough. At the end of the day though, whether you hate the job or not, you being able to have a decent life outside of work is the most important. At the end of the day we all work to live not live to work. I wasn't sure I was ready for Uni when I left school and was considering getting a job first but knew if find it difficult to get out of if I didn't like it in the future. When I was at Royal Mail end of 2010 they were trying to discuss permanent contracts with me and it was a decent job with good money actually but I knew I'd be bored rigid within a few years and I was starting at Uni the following month so I left.

DeanoVilla - 16/4/2013 14:57

In public service jobs , aren't they going to look at postings on social network sites now ?

I thought reading the guardian usually got the job!

DeanoVilla - 16/4/2013 14:02

The 2 guys I work with both have degrees and say the degree hasn't helped them at all in real life. All getting a egree proves is that you can study for a degree.

I have good GCSE's, a BTEC National Diploma in IT and 15 years IT work experience.

I've taken the 2 mock numeracy and literacy tests on the education website and passed both with flying colours without any revision.

I don't see how a degree can be the deciding factor when it comes to suitablity of teaching 5-11 year olds.

Surely personailty, enthusiasm, life/work experience and other qualifications should count for something?

I think the entry criteria needs more flexibilty personally, but hey ho. They've just lost a potentially great teacher, which without blowing my trumpet too much I know I would have been.

I thought there was a fast stream (I'm sure it was for bankers a year or so back?) to get a teaching degree. I agree that maybe things could be sped up but I do have to disagree, if people have been told they have to get a degree to teach (which they have) and they make the sacrifice of 3 years of loans/loss of income etc etc then it would be wrong to then change totally.

Deano you own property.

Take your redundancy, add your savings and buy and renovate a shit house up north (in sunderland you can get end terrace for £35k just needs updating (£5k)

rent it out for £450 a month, and repeat 5 times.

You can retire within 5 years.

DeanoVilla - 16/4/2013 14:57

Perhaps you should apply to a catholic school then.

My cousin is turning his back on a head of dept (English) job in a secondary school to become a plumber. He has a firstclass hons degree, not that he needed it to do the plumbing.

He did a plumbing course throughout the summer holidays and is continuing with it whilst doing part time teaching. He cant wait to pack up teaching altogether and become a plumber full time which will be the end of this school year.

Must admit, the few teachers I know always seem disillusioned.

You spoken to Jonny G about it Deano? He often seems a bit peed off with it all to me.

Yeah that's it, 5 pages of advice at Deano's request, but go and speak to johnny fucking G, fears bum chum. What do we know eh? I dunno why I bother sometimes!

Dont go into teaching, the school system is fucked and as much as anyone wants to think they can go in and change anything, they cant and they wont.

Unless you're gonna be the netball coach at a university, then have at it son.

James06 - 16/4/2013 17:10

Yeah that's it, 5 pages of advice at Deano's request, but go and speak to johnny fucking G, fears bum chum. What do we know eh? I dunno why I bother sometimes!

Jonny is my favourite... he's polite unlike you lot of yobbos! :80: