Has anyone ever started afresh? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Has anyone ever started afresh?

The Fear - 16/4/2013 17:25

James06 - 16/4/2013 17:10

Yeah that's it, 5 pages of advice at Deano's request, but go and speak to johnny fucking G, fears bum chum. What do we know eh? I dunno why I bother sometimes!

Jonny is my favourite... he's polite unlike you lot of yobbos! :80:

Oi, I'm always polite........

tosser

Anyone ever run a pub?

Is there money to be made? Bit dubious what with all the news of pubs closing left right and centre, but surely if lots are closed now that means there's more business for the ones that remain open?

Marstons do a franchise. Initital investment of 15k which I could cover with my redundancy money.

For the 15k they give you a pub, fully kitted out with kitchen, and everything you need. They do all the leg work in finding you suppliers and also do all the work when it comes to paying utility bills etc, which means all you are left with is the day to day running and making it as profitable as possible.

I realise it would be hard work and a hell of a lot of long unsociable hours, but I'd be my own boss, have full control over how I want the pub to run, and I reckon I'd quite enjoy it.

Just dunno if there's money to be made in the industry any more.

have you asked johnny gee?

I know a couple who have run a few pubs, he's a head chef and she's the manageress. They've had proper top quality foody pubs out in the sticks and enjoy it, but they've done it all their lives.

I also know another couple at the opposite end of the scale who have their own pub on the outskirts of glasgow.

In the first instance the main issue is unsocial hours, and keeping the place profitable by maintaining standards, getting costing right and keeping one step ahead of rivals, which isn't easy and is very hard work.

In the second instance the pub is run pretty much by it's punters - the main issue is protection rackets, robbery, drug raids and violence.

It's no picnic either way, that's for sure.

Malvern is hardley Glasgow.

I'd be going down the posh foody pub route I reckon. I'm thinking iPad menu's, LCD screens showing beer prices that change like the stock market depending on what's selling, fancy decor...

Hopefully attract the right clientel, so wouldn't have to worry too much about violence.

tough industry, thousands of pubs have closed over the last 10 odd years (drink driving then no smoking was final nail for many)

Be a decent way to make a living if you could get the right one though.

I think you'd be suprised which ones make the most money. The couple I know who have had exactly the pub you're talking about scrape by. The fella in glasgow is minted - his wristwatch is worth half my house!

But i know what you mean for the lifestyle - i'd want the same.

Just as a bit of early market research though, who do you think your punters will be? What age group and background? Will they be impressed or might they be bamboozled by ipad menus for example?

IMO for those type places (because they are often out the way a bit) its all about the reputation which comes from the grub, the venue and the service.

aye, agree with Jim, what you like and what the punters might like can be very different. When I used to buy and sell houses I had to learn that quickly!

Yes I think meeting the customers needs is vitally important in that industry.

From what I know the majority of the profit will be made from food so getting that right is important as well.

The Fear - 17/4/2013 10:30

What you like and what the punters might like can be very different. When I used to buy and sell houses I had to learn that quickly!

Always makes me chuckle on them home development programmes when Sarah Beeny, oozing class and with her fantastic knockers will say ''I'd advise you to simply skim that over and paint it magnolia, keeping things cheap, fresh, clean and inoffensive - maximising profit and creating an appealing space'' (they always say space)

and then some cocky overstyled gobshite blonde bint with dark roots, big sunglasses, high heels a big belt buckle and no class whatsover will say ''well we've actually decided to put a great big fuck off stained glass window depicting jesus christ's resurection as a symbol of the rebirth of the property and goodness overseeing the development going forward''

Then wondering why on earth it still hasnt flogged when they've halved the asking price 6 months after it went on the market.

DeanoVilla - 16/4/2013 10:16

Well teaching is out. Just spoken to an advisor from the education.gov website and got told you definitely need a degree. No fast tracks without one.

Would take 3 years full time and 25k in fees.

No way can I a) afford to be out of work for 3 years or b) want to be in debt to the tune of 25k for the rest of my life.

Back to the drawing board.

I've now narrrowed it down to -

a) win the lottery

b) commit a crime and live at her majesty's pleasure... I hear they get playstations in prison now.

c) take my redundancy money to Vegas and go death or glory. Either come back rich, or spend the rest of my days living in a box in the Old Town, sucking off tourists for $20 a pop.

d) Attempt to get another job in IT.

e) Suicide.

Maybe I should start a poll?

You missed option F

f) Use your redundancy money to start up on your own

Be your own boss, row your own boat merrily down the stream

If it doesn't work out for you then find another job in I.T as least you will have tried

What have you got to loose baldy?

James06 - 17/4/2013 13:18

The Fear - 17/4/2013 10:30

What you like and what the punters might like can be very different. When I used to buy and sell houses I had to learn that quickly!

Always makes me chuckle on them home development programmes when Sarah Beeny, oozing class and with her fantastic knockers will say ''I'd advise you to simply skim that over and paint it magnolia, keeping things cheap, fresh, clean and inoffensive - maximising profit and creating an appealing space'' (they always say space)

and then some cocky overstyled gobshite blonde bint with dark roots, big sunglasses, high heels a big belt buckle and no class whatsover will say ''well we've actually decided to put a great big fuck off stained glass window depicting jesus christ's resurection as a symbol of the rebirth of the property and goodness overseeing the development going forward''

Then wondering why on earth it still hasnt flogged when they've halved the asking price 6 months after it went on the market.

Drives me mad! An expert who has made millions buying and selling property yet these gits know better and ignore her! LOL

If I had a few quid on the hip to invest in property I'd phone channel 4 and say I'm up for it, get Beeny round and do absolutely everything she suggested. Which would hopefully at some stage include a tit wank.