• Leave to other PL team

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Leave to non-PL team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay at Spurs

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As players age most if not all also change / finesse their game for many reasons - often injury issues can be the biggest driver - we could be witnessing this in Harry.

Personally, unless we can find a solution, we have a problem. He's almost stopped playing off the shoulder at times now and has a tendency to drop deep rather than press and run wide to pull the defenders with him, this in turn forces us to play deeper and on the counter. Can't say I like it unless we intended to only be a counter attacking team.

Of course he can score from almost anywhere, but last season in the back half, you could see how this 'new' way of playing affected his game and his scoring/assist rate, which in the first half had been truly amazing. Second half of the season he simply didn't present the same level of threat as defences and opposition coaches figured out how to nullify his contributions.

Nuno now has to figure out a solution, we just better hope it doesn't take too long.

I can't help but feel that at times we can play fluidly without him, but struggle when Son isn't around..

I did think after the CL final he had lost a yard of pace. Hence why he dropped slightly deeper at the start of the 2019/20 season.

He can still work on his acceleration in training which will help him play off the shoulder again. Add some really good stretching exercises with real recovery techniques and he will be back in the game.

I personally think it's a mentality issue.

If he can't press or bully defender's anymore for 90 minutes we have 3 options.

1. Drop him to the Teddy position with Son playing as an out and out striker.
2. Use as an impact sub.
3. Sell him.

Him wondering around like a muppet isn't helping anyone.

It increasingly begins to look as if accepting City's best offer would have been our best option.

The trouble is Charlie shouted his mouth off about what their best offer would be, and it never was - they never went above 120 mill, way short of what the club clearly thought was adequate.

I think once Charlie realised his every word was being monitored it was too late - we'd but up the barriers and City realised they had an amateur in the mix.

That said, I do believe if we'd managed to secure one of the attacking targets we were so publicly identified with for the £75 mill or so we would have had to possibly pay, we'd have sold him regardless. But we didn't and so we're stuck with him, which in many respects is a million miles away from being a disaster.

But now, Nuno has to find a way to re-enthuse him and get him back to his best - and that may well mean getting hauled off more than some will like.

So at the moment unless we see more from Harry, I'm not certain keeping him was a blessing or a curse.

That said, unless we inject some creativity and soon, I'm not sure it matters anyway.

The trouble is Charlie shouted his mouth off about what their best offer would be, and it never was - they never went above 120 mill, way short of what the club clearly thought was adequate.
That said, unless we inject some creativity and soon, I'm not sure it matters anyway.

I've never begrudged him wanting to improve himself, and do have some sympathy that he must pine for the days of vintage Kane and Alli, Son and Eriksen. Fact is though that those days are gone, and he's doing very little to inspire a new way forward for the Club, himself and those around him.

Losing your pace is one thing. That can happen through injury but as you get slower you can adapt your game. You don't have to lose a load of value.

Put that to one side as it isn't the issue.

90% of what is being discussed here is stamina related. Not shutting down, not showing for your team mates, not moving off the ball to create space for others. It's funny that Kane can turn this stuff on and off when he chooses. His brain clearly knows what to do as we've seen it for years. He can also compete for headers with his back to goal. He's stopped doing that as well.

So the question becomes whether the Spurs medical team are knowing that all his performance stats operate at a lower rate than the rest of the squad who can clearly all run around and recover. The most obvious example would be the recovery rate metric which is very measurable and they would have years worth of data on him.

So it's not stacking up, which means that I'd be shocked if this wasn't a mental attitude issue with the player. If the above is right and we can't help him correct himself, then don't let him wear the shirt. It is that easy. The world will keep on turning at Spurs.

I did think after the CL final he had lost a yard of pace. Hence why he dropped slightly deeper at the start of the 2019/20 season.

He can still work on his acceleration in training which will help him play off the shoulder again. Add some really good stretching exercises with real recovery techniques and he will be back in the game.

I personally think it's a mentality issue.

If he can't press or bully defender's anymore for 90 minutes we have 3 options.

1. Drop him to the Teddy position with Son playing as an out and out striker.
2. Use as an impact sub.
3. Sell him.

Him wondering around like a muppet isn't helping anyone.
Love it! Use Kane as an impact sub.

Only at Spurs...

It increasingly begins to look as if accepting City's best offer would have been our best option.

I'm not sure I agree, largely because the offer was derisory and there were no options available to replace him.

It also sends a message to other players that being a **** doesn't pay off.

I think next summer will be opportune. Will give Paratici 12 months to get his feelers out.

I was disappointed we didn't go for Eduoard though. Typically the fucker blasted two past us.

Last edited:
...well tbf, he's not doing it (and hasn't been for some time) when starting games, so it's not exactly an unreasonable opinion.
I wasn't being sarcastic! It's a valid option and one I'd expect Nuno to be utilising if there isn't an immediate improvement.

But there would be an element of farce if it materialises. We refuse to negotiate with City unless they start talking near £150m and then a couple of weeks later we use Kane as an impact sub.

I wasn't being sarcastic! It's a valid option and one I'd expect Nuno to be utilising if there isn't an immediate improvement.

But there would be an element of farce if it materialises. We refuse to negotiate with City unless they start talking near £150m and then a couple of weeks later we use Kane as an impact sub.

I don't think there is any element of farce. It would be just further management of the Kane situation. He wants out, he naffed himself, now he is playing like he doesn't give a shit and further reducing his chances of a big move.
having him as a sub might make him wake the naff up. This would actually be congruent with rumours that the Kane Train really pissed management off.

There is another side of this that has emerged and I think most people have picked up on it. Kane's supposed commitment to team ethics is conditional. Which means it is bullshit.

Well yes, it does seem all a bit Spursy when you spell it out!

I don't think there is any element of farce. It would be just further management of the Kane situation. He wants out, he naffed himself, now he is playing like he doesn't give a shit and further reducing his chances of a big move.
having him as a sub might make him wake the naff up. This would actually be congruent with rumours that the Kane Train really pissed management off.

There is another side of this that has emerged and I think most people have picked up on it. Kane's supposed commitment to team ethics is conditional. Which means it is bullshit.
It's open to interpretation.

Having fought tooth and nail all summer to keep our most prized asset, to then, within a couple of weeks, use him as an impact sub - well I find it a wee bit farcical. Not the management of Kane per se. But the overall situation.

It's open to interpretation.

Having fought tooth and nail all summer to keep our most prized asset, to then, within a couple of weeks, use him as an impact sub - well I find it a wee bit farcical. Not the management of Kane per se. But the overall situation.

I think we wanted to sell but Kane triggered Lewis and Levy.

Kane’s performance has not been electrifying by any standard last few games his energy on the pitch has been poor…I do not feel his heart is fully with Spurs after the tranny window…turning a blind eye to it would be wrong if he wants to play earn your place! No room for sulky attitudes.

He needs an attitude adjustment. Starting him in current form is just massaging his ego.

8th season and he still doesn't have anyone challenging him for his spot. Now that is farcical.
But he's finding it difficult to drop him (I assume) because, with Son out, he doesn't have anyone to replace him.

If Son is out on Sunday, do we start with Scarlett?

Throughout the transfer window I argued that we needed another quality forward in addition to Kane staying. Two if he left.

But we're here now. If Son is fit we can revert back to that opening weekend's front 3 of Moura, Son and Berg (or Gil). But without Son which is it, Kane or Scarlett? Unless there's another combination?

But he's finding it difficult to drop him (I assume) because, with Son out, he doesn't have anyone to replace him.

If Son is out on Sunday, do we start with Scarlett?

Throughout the transfer window I argued that we needed another quality forward in addition to Kane staying. Two if he left.

But we're here now. If Son is fit we can revert back to that opening weekend's front 3 of Moura, Son and Berg (or Gil). But without Son which is it, Kane or Scarlett? Unless there's another combination?

I would play Dele as a false 9. With Son, Bergwinj and Gil in free roam.

If injuries kick in then Lucas, Nile John and Dane come in.

I really do believe the only way to wake Kane up is by dropping him to the bench.

I would taunt him about him not breaking Shearer's record too.

Depending on Lo Celso and Ndombele they can also get moved further forward.

We do have some options. But we really do need to invest in our forward areas moving forward if we want CL.

I would go with 4-1-3-2 moving forward.

One of Skipp or Hojbjerg in the holding role allowing the full-backs to get forward.

Using combinations of Gil, Ndombele, Gio, Dele, Bergwijn and Moura in the 3

Using Son, Dele, Bergwijn, Scarlett in the 2

It doesn't really matter though. If you get the 5 ahead of Skipp or Hojbjerg working together, we will be a good team. Too much talent there not to be.

Kane can figure out from sitting on the bench or the stand whether he wants to be part of it. Eventually we might realise he is the one holding us back anyway.

Lloris
Tanganga, Romero, Sanchez, Reggie
Skipp
Gio, Ndombele, Gil
Dele, Son

That is a very good team.

Thomas Tuchel reveals Chelsea talks with Harry Kane representatives over summer transfer

Chelsea didn't get far in their pursuit of Kane but in Romelu Lukaku, Tuchel has a striker playing the best football of his career

By Matt Law, Football News Correspondent 17 September 2021 • 10:30pm

Harry Kane ultimately stayed at Spurs after his valuation was not met

Thomas Tuchel has confirmed Chelsea held talks with Harry Kane’s representatives, even though he thought the Tottenham Hotspur striker would join Manchester City.
But Chelsea head coach Tuchel was pleased Kane stayed at Tottenham for the same reason he believes Romelu Lukaku has been the perfect fit for the Blues since returning to Stamford Bridge.
Tuchel publicly revealed his interest in Kane in May after the Tottenham star had made clear his desire to move and representatives of the 28-year-old had contacted Chelsea.
“We never had a list with his name on it and I never went to Marina (Granovskaia) to tell her to buy him,” said Tuchel. “But the club sorted out the situation. There are many people around players - their agents and advisors and people in between and we had some information from these people, but it was never that close.”
Kane and Lukaku will go head-to-head when Tottenham entertain Chelsea on Sunday and asked if he was relieved the England captain did not join City, Tuchel said: “I thought that this was going to happen.
“No I was not scared, but if it would have happened I would have been very interested in how maybe it would have changed Manchester City’s style of playing.
“We are not afraid of anyone. We accept any team and Manchester City, Man United and Liverpool, they are the teams strong like no other in this League and they have strong squads. These are the guys with whom we want to compete and it’s normal that they fight for the best players and I thought this was maybe going to happen.
“On one side, I was happy that he stayed because it is also nice that it exists in football that players play for one club only and so Harry Kane is Tottenham and even for me.
“I have absolutely nothing to do with Tottenham, I have never worked for them, but when I think about Tottenham in the last decade you think about Harry Kane and this is very nice. Like you think about Messi and straight away you think about Barcelona and it is very hard to think that he plays for another club now and that’s the same for Harry Kane.
“So from this side I was happy because I like it and a part of my personality is still a fan and I like that things like this happen. It is also nice that Romelu is back at Chelsea and some things are a good fit and should not be changed.”
Chelsea re-signed Lukaku for £97.5million from Inter Milan and Tuchel believes the Belgian is a different type of striker to Kane, despite the fact the pair are so prolific.
Tuchel said: “I find that Romelu plays a bit higher up the pitch and Harry Kane also likes to drop into number 10 positions, to pockets and turn and to assist. He has a super partnership with Son, so he is very strong in finding space between the lines. I find Romelu up higher in the pitch.
“But they also have similarities. They love to score and they score whenever they play, they are up for it and it is a certain mindset that you cannot learn. I am pretty sure they both started showing this mindset when they started playing football when they were five, six, seven years old.
“These guys are born to score goals and if they do not score they are not happy. Harry does everything for his team no matter if he plays for Tottenham or England, he is not shy to work defensively. He does what is needed to do, to defend set pieces and whatever. Romelu is the same, he is here to help us win titles. That is what big players do.”
Tottenham were one of the clubs interested in signing Antonio Rudiger last summer and the German is stalling on Chelsea’s offer of a new £140,000-a-week contract.
Rudiger could earn more than double his current £100,000-a-week wages by leaving Chelsea on a free transfer at the end of the season and Tuchel admitted he does not know if the central defender will re-sign.
“I hope that they find solutions, but it's not only between coaches and players, and what we wish for,” said Tuchel. “And that's why it's between the club, the player and the agent at the moment.
“I feel him very calm and focused, and it's not a distraction for him.
So everything is in place and give things the time they need. Sometimes it needs a bit longer, sometimes things are very fast.
“But in the end it's between him and the club, and that's in good hands. I am calm and relaxed, whatever has to happen will happen.”