Good Morning Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

You are not alone Walt...I think 360 million Americans still use lbs, inches, and a slightly diluted gallon as well.

You know you lost the argument when you use Americans as an example.

Fahrenheit. The defence rests.

Do you know what , I am not an unintelligent man , but I simply have not got a clue what 160 lbs is in metric . I have never used it . Same with kilometres an hour . What’s that all about ?
Even Professor Brian Cox talks about how many kilometres Jupiter is away from us , for example . Leaves me stone cold . Means absolutely nothing to me .
As a chippy by trade , I was forced into using metres etc but still had to revert to feet and inches as well on lots of occasions when working for dinosaurs like me .
Our scales indoors are set on stones and pounds . When I’m weighed at the doctors ,they use kilos , ( if you can get an appointment ha ha ) . Airlines use kilos . I’m good at guessing what twenty kilos are when packing the cases but I really have not got a clue what that is proper English !

Ha, I'm comfortable in both, although can't us stone for weight measurements.

Was referring to weightlifting, most (if not all) competitions I have seen are measured in KG.

I also find it a lot more humbling keeping the numbers lower.

That is such a beautiful read Ex. Please pardon my absolute ignorance. I had no idea your wife has gone to a far better place of pain free peace. My sincere condolences mate.

What a tower of strength and nobility she was. To show that much bravery and courage when she knew she didn't have long speaks volumes of her character during her good health times also.
I'm in awe of you and your family and how you've all adapted. She will be very proud as she looks down from her angelic post.

You're a wonderful father. I just wish I was half the father you are.

Kind words, thank you.

I'm sure you're a good dad too and your kids love you for it.

Do you know what , I am not an unintelligent man , but I simply have not got a clue what 160 lbs is in metric . I have never used it . Same with kilometres an hour . What’s that all about ?
Even Professor Brian Cox talks about how many kilometres Jupiter is away from us , for example . Leaves me stone cold . Means absolutely nothing to me .
As a chippy by trade , I was forced into using metres etc but still had to revert to feet and inches as well on lots of occasions when working for dinosaurs like me .
Our scales indoors are set on stones and pounds . When I’m weighed at the doctors ,they use kilos , ( if you can get an appointment ha ha ) . Airlines use kilos . I’m good at guessing what twenty kilos are when packing the cases but I really have not got a clue what that is proper English !

C'mon Walt, how much did them bags of spuds weigh?... and you were probably carrying one bag under each arm in them days!

Lol! if that's the case. Up norf we know our local chippy! meat & tato, and all that!

Got to be honest, I still shudder at the thought of gravy on chips and having a 'bap'.

I was young, was in Sheffield for a game, we went for some fish and chips after the game and as I queued behind some unintelligible locals, as it was my turn next I was convinced I'd be transported back in time into a foreign land, and so was fascinated in trying to understand what the locals were saying, so I just asked for fish and chips and a roll - how hard can it be right?

Then I got asked two quick-fire questions that I was still trying to work out what they meant and saw her pour gravy all of my chips - it was absolutely disgusting and I refused to take them, she went mental! - so it all kicked off and we all got turfed out !!

Bloody heathens, the lot of them!!

Last edited:
Got to be honest, I still shudder at the thought of gravy on chips and having a 'bap'.

I was young, was in Sheffield for a game, we went for some fish and chips after the game and as I queued behind some unintelligible locals, as it to my turn I was convinced I'd be transported back in time into a foreign land, was fascinated in trying to understand what the locals were saying, so I just asked for fish and chips and a roll - how hard can it be right?

Then I got asked two quick-fire questions that I was still trying to work out what they meant and saw her pour gravy all of my chips - it was absolutely disgusting and I refused to take them, she went mental! - so it all kicked off and we all got turfed out !!

bap?.... In Manchesta, we can em Barms (Barm Cakes).

I was young, was in Sheffield for a game, we went for some fish and chips after the game and as I queued behind some unintelligible locals, as it to my turn I was convinced I'd be transported back in time into a foreign land, was fascinated in trying to understand what the locals were saying, so I just asked for fish and chips and a roll - how hard can it be right?

OI, watch it you big southern Jesse....no wonder Spurs have such a poor performance record up here...lol😀

Nah, best in the World is from Saff' end mate.
I used to love there as well as a youngster...I used to spend my school dinner money on plaice and chips most days...it was very good I must admit....don’t know what it’s like now though...last time I was there 5 years ago I didn’t recognise it...it was a great place to live as a teenager...loads of coffee bars, pubs, live music and of course the bowling alley plus the amusement arcades.

Why, why do you call a bread roll a Barms or bap?
Good point, but being from London originally, 40 years on, I am still adapting.....but luv it up ere!. Haven't researched Barms, but don't mind tucking in to them, chips with gravy too!

Anyway, someone has to carry the cockerel flag aloft up ere, albeit at half mast for past 18 months.

I used to love there as well as a youngster...I used to spend my school dinner money on plaice and chips most days...it was very good I must admit....don’t know what it’s like now though...last time I was there 5 years ago I didn’t recognise it...it was a great place to live as a teenager...loads of coffee bars, pubs, live music and of course the bowling alley plus the amusement arcades.

To be honest, haven't been near the place in probably over 10 years, maybe more!

Good point, but being from London originally, 40 years on, I am still adapting.....but luv it up ere!. Haven't researched Barms, but don't mind tucking in to them, chips with gravy too!

Anyway, someone has to carry the cockerel flag aloft up ere, albeit at half mast for past 18 months.

No no no !! Gravy on chips is barbaric!

Ony things allowed on chips are vinegar, salt and if you must some sort of tomato sauce, although I do note how so many have curry sauce on them now, which is admittedly as disgusting as having gravy on them.

Fresh lovely crisp chips and then pouring nonstop heated sludge on them - makes NO sense!

It's why we just can't understand Northerners - fizzy top beers (fart drink) and gravy on chips...eeekkkk!

Last edited: