Good Morning Thread | Page 527 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Morning all. Hope we are all enjoying the weather. I am at the hospital for my weekly treatment for my wonky blood. I'm getting bored of it now. It's even worse now that Florence, the Italian nurse has moved departments. Absolutely gutted lads.

Ford Focus. It's not the most economical car but have never had issues with it so have kept it. Yeah I have done that calculation and it is ridiculous. Hence why I borrow the wife's car a few times a week....

Mind you petrol is 1.92.9 in Cheddar. More expensive than Oxford.
I managed to get an average of 28mpg out of mine yesterday. I've been using an STP additive to clean the injectiors and fuel system. I reckon it's made a slight difference.

Ford Focus. It's not the most economical car but have never had issues with it so have kept it. Yeah I have done that calculation and it is ridiculous. Hence why I borrow the wife's car a few times a week....

My daughter lives in south Somerset and I've seen an independent garage in a country area selling petrol and diesel at lower prices than my local major supermarket in an urban area. Industry experts say wholesale prices have been falling for a number of weeks now but prices have still been rising at the pump. We've been right royally ripped off by the big retailers.

I managed to get an average of 28mpg out of mine yesterday. I've been using an STP additive to clean the injectiors and fuel system. I reckon it's made a slight difference.
Really pleased I bought a self charging hybrid about 18 months back. Generally get between 60 and 70 mpg. Mix of both town and country driving. For me it’s the way forward in the medium term.

My daughter lives in south Somerset and I've seen an independent garage in a country area selling petrol and diesel at lower prices than my local major supermarket in an urban area. Industry experts say wholesale prices have been falling for a number of weeks now but prices have still been rising at the pump. We've been right royally ripped off by the big retailers.
I'm in Brixham and we have a local 'Harvest' garage. Diesel is 1.95 there and 1.99 at the Morrisons ten minutes up the road.

Let's do the maths. I would welcome input from others on this to come up with the best formula to calculate a true cost per mile. This would include the depreciation of he value of the vehicle over time

Absolutely. Mrs D is going Hybrid when it's time.for a new car. I need to.make the leap as well.

Yeah, don't we all. I find it all very confusing what strategy to take and I'm certainly not a petrol head. It needs to be the right return on investment for me. As an example would my money be better served in solar panels and leave the electric car idea for a few more years. Then there are hydrogen cars coming behind.

Don't hate me, but that is sort of why I'm holding onto my 3L Diesel. My office is a couple of miles away and I get to work from home part of the week. The golf club / gym is about 8 miles away. I don't rack up a load of miles, but do know that I begrudge the miles per gallon when I do.

It's been a long time since buying a car was an easy choice.

Let's do the maths. I would welcome input from others on this to come up with the best formula to calculate a true cost per mile. This would include the depreciation of he value of the vehicle over time

Is it perhaps the case that there isn't a "go to" calculator online. You'd think you'd be able to google it and there would be a tool where you can plug all your information in.

Makes me a little cynical that there isn't a great ROI with electric cars. They are so expensive that it just takes too long to recoup your outlay.

I get the feeling leasing cars is getting more popular.

How much did the car cost and how many miles would you need to do to recoup the extra cost above a standard model ?
I bought a used 67 plate Kia Niro hybrid with 18k miles in the clock for just over £15k. Really pleased I did. My old RAV4 at best average was 29mpg. There was no point in going full electric as infrastructure is so limited just now and lots of improvements needed yet. Thought my way was the best halfway house.

I bought a used 67 plate Kia Niro hybrid with 18k miles in the clock for just over £15k. Really pleased I did. My old RAV4 at best average was 29mpg. There was no point in going full electric as infrastructure is so limited just now and lots of improvements needed yet. Thought my way was the best halfway house.

The new price of the Kia would have been 25 k plus so the depreciation of 10k for 18,000 miles is scary !!

I think it's approx 50 p per mile before you start.

The new price of the Kia would have been 25 k plus so the depreciation of 10k for 18,000 miles is scary !!

I think it's approx 50 p per mile before you start.

Yes but it is always higher depreciation in the early 2 or 3 years. My relative depreciation is far less, indeed the last time I looked it was worth more than I paid for it. I waited 15 years to replace my RAV. The cost of repairs was getting prohibitive and that is something you must weigh up. Less repair cost in the earlier years and with Kia’s there is a 7 year labour and parts warranty. I am really pleased with the value that I have. Had to dip my toe in the water at some stage and if you get scared off at every turn you never do anything.

That's really interesting 54, my daughter asked me about hybrids and I said I was looking at the Ford Puma mild hybrid so she said she would also be interested. Having discovered how 'mild' it is, i.e. basically a DRS system which assists the petrol engine, I though I would look at other options. Self-charging hybrids seem to be very limited as far as I could see with Totoya/Lexus seeming to have most of the market. I came across the Kia Niro and Stonic models and suggested to my daughter that she take a look at them so it's interesting to read your comments on the Niro.

Yes but it is always higher depreciation in the early 2 or 3 years. My relative depreciation is far less, indeed the last time I looked it was worth more than I paid for it. I waited 15 years to replace my RAV. The cost of repairs was getting prohibitive and that is something you must weigh up. Less repair cost in the earlier years and with Kia’s there is a 7 year labour and parts warranty. I am really pleased with the value that I have. Had to dip my toe in the water at some stage and if you get scared off at every turn you never do anything.

Of course the initial depreciation is the worst but some buy new. So the variations on mileage cost will be different. That's why I'm looking for individuals formula. A Kia hybrid will have an overall mileage cost for its life even from new to end, although that might not be known yet .

Of course the initial depreciation is the worst but some buy new. So the variations on mileage cost will be different. That's why I'm looking for individuals formula. A Kia hybrid will have an overall mileage cost for its life even from new to end, although that might not be known yet .
I've only ever bought new once as a private motorist, that was only because the model was so new there were no second hand models. I have always bought 'nearly new' so as not to be clobbered by the depreciation that applies straight out of the showroom.

Morning all, looks like its gonna be another hot un!

Oh Yes! Ants Mass Murder 3, they are effin back, well on the outside sill of the Conservatory, they got a blasting of Water/Vinegar mixture, waiting again.

I know its hot! but my lawn is getting worse, the dead/drought looking area is spreading, though we give it a good watering every night, I said to Mrs PY last night, if this keeps up we will have no lawn by the end of the summer, she is not happy as she was always proud of our lawn.

Jesus Hod, read all your finings and things for Road/Car crimes, definately for financial gain there, but as somebody has already said, Australia has seemed to copy the British mode of using car drivers/road users as finance gainers only multiplied by tons.

Mrs PY has been again put onto the Top of the Tree warning list, regards the uplift in Covid cases, phone call every bloody five minutes, though some of them are heat related.

Try and have a good day all, look after each other.

Ants...yep welcome to my hell...and wasps...naffing wasps!!!

I've only ever bought new once as a private motorist, that was only because the model was so new there were no second hand models. I have always bought 'nearly new' so as not to be clobbered by the depreciation that applies straight out of the showroom.

Yes, it makes good sense but all vehicles are new as a starting point. That vehicles overall mileage cost is specific to it over its life. Not easy to calculate.