Gills hat tricks, apparently there have been some | Page 4 | Vital Football

Gills hat tricks, apparently there have been some

Long story short.

An Opposition goalkeeper who became a crowd favourite. Sometimes felt like he got a better reception than the Gills team when he ran out the tunnel.

I think it started at the Walsall game where we scored 3 or 4 goals in a 10 minute spell before half time. Second half the Rainham end baited him but he reacted in great way engaging with the crowd throughout the second half. I think Chris is correct with his shorts being way too big for him so lots of banter with that. He'd probably get booked today for dropping his shorts to the crowd but everyone loved it.

In future games he would run to the Rainham wearing a mask (a wolf I believe). I don't remember the super hero cape but could well believe it.

Just a bit of a fun story from back then.

My one time on the Stretford End. John Osbourne in goal for WBA.
Start of the second half, he trots up to the goal, and the Reds all break out into steady applause. As he approaches the nets, he smiles, gives an appreciative wave of the hand, whereupon the whole lot of them start roaring "Fuck off, Osbourne, Fuck off Osbourne." So he turns round and moons them. They were eating out of his hand for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Long story short.

An Opposition goalkeeper who became a crowd favourite. Sometimes felt like he got a better reception than the Gills team when he ran out the tunnel.

I think it started at the Walsall game where we scored 3 or 4 goals in a 10 minute spell before half time. Second half the Rainham end baited him but he reacted in great way engaging with the crowd throughout the second half. I think Chris is correct with his shorts being way too big for him so lots of banter with that. He'd probably get booked today for dropping his shorts to the crowd but everyone loved it.

In future games he would run to the Rainham wearing a mask (a wolf I believe). I don't remember the super hero cape but could well believe it.

Just a bit of a fun story from back then.
Thanks Mark. I think I would have liked footy 'back on the day'

Thanks Mark. I think I would have liked footy 'back on the day'

I know for a fact that Big Fat Jim Stannard didn’t like being called Big Fat Jim because I asked him at a function, after too many sherberts.
He got the right hump. 😁

I know for a fact that Big Fat Jim Stannard didn’t like being called Big Fat Jim because I asked him at a function, after too many sherberts.
He got the right hump. 😁
And of course Martin Allen hated the Mad Dog nickname.

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE

I've just found the ultimate in embarrassing hat tricks. This bloke scored a hat trick of own goals, how's your luck? Not for The Gills admittedly but some feat, all the same.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....-and-the-top-5-own-goal-performances.amp.html

How is your world view holding up Nobby? There’s been some startling revelations on this thread.

I bet you are wondering if there’s some truth to Pledge’s theories after all....

Don't be so sure. The ground was falling apart, hit by a shower of rust if the ball hit the rainham end roof, ankle deep in piss in the open air toilets, treated like animals by the police.

I Iike to reminisce but give me modern stadiums including ours.
You forgot the boiling hot piss water called "tea" and the stench of sweaty hot dogs that permeated the atmosphere. Oh, and the masses of dog shit in the alleyways on the way to the ground.

Ah, the good old days.

You forgot the boiling hot piss water called "tea" and the stench of sweaty hot dogs that permeated the atmosphere. Oh, and the masses of dog shit in the alleyways on the way to the ground.

Ah, the good old days.

Meat pies with lava inside. !!

On the subject of dog shit whatever happened to white dog shit. You don't see that now

How is your world view holding up Nobby? There’s been some startling revelations on this thread.

I bet you are wondering if there’s some truth to Pledge’s theories after all....
I've found this whole thread to be very cathartic. Now I've accepted that there actually have been Gills hat tricks, I get very excited about them and find them.everywhere I look. I enjoy life so much more now that you have all helped to cure my hat trick blindness. Thanks everyone ☺

Meat pies with lava inside. !!

On the subject of dog shit whatever happened to white dog shit. You don't see that now
Yes. Whatever happened to that? Used to be loads of it.

Anyone actually know what breed of dog was responsible?

Seem to be extinct now, thank f###.

My Dad told me that white poo came from white dogs, the same as black eggs come from black chickens.
If you don’t believe me, google big black cocks and see what comes up.
Bit like the swiss travel guide that told tourists me included. The different colour cow's produce different types of milk .IE one colour is for milk another for cheese and multi coloured for butter.Not sure which way round it was.