General politics thread: | Page 71 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The left wing nut nuts will be delighted the Tories firmly have the BBC in their sights...
I'd prefer not to be forced to pay for an institution that punishes whistleblowers and engages in cover ups, and just like every other institution puts its survival and prosperity above any other concern, like truth or public good.
I'm sure the enlightened centrists will be making excuses for it presently.:grinning:
Still, I'd rather the BBC fix it themselves than get demolished by the tories.

Last edited:
I'd prefer not to be forced to pay for an institution that punishes whistleblowers and engages in cover ups, and just like every other institution puts its survival and prosperity above any other concern, like truth or public good.
I'm sure the enlightened centrists will be making excuses for it presently.
Your wish on the first bit will be granted. The BBC is doomed.

I'm not sure what it is the Tories want to destroy it for to be honest.

Obviously there are plenty of MPs who have vested financial interests in increasing the profitability of commercial stations, and no doubt are being "donated to" handsomely to chip away at the BBC.

But politically I'm not sure where the big benefit is. The license fee has and always will be unpopular because no one likes to pay for something that they imagine is free. But destroying the BBC is not a vote winner really.

You can't say the BBC gives Labour an easier ride, either in or out of government. Nor does the. BBC dare to call out the government properly anymore.

They can talk as much guff as they want about the BBC being left wing, but it has no particular left or right wing influence on the public.

As for this Diana tripe, you would have to be in your late 30's to even remember the interview (I would have been about 12) and much older to have cared about it. It's all well and good claiming (correctly) that the public don't give a shit about Boris's corrupt redecoration of Downing Street, but surely they give even less of a shit about a 25 year old interview between a long dead woman and a dying journalist, in which said dead woman freely answered questions?

I'm sure the enlightened centrists will be making excuses for it presently.:grinning:

Every large organisation has flaws, on every end of the political and philanthropic spectrum.

It's only those on the fringes who can't cope without echo chambers who struggle with the BBC.

Your wish on the first bit will be granted. The BBC is doomed.

I'm not sure what it is the Tories want to destroy it for to be honest.

Obviously there are plenty of MPs who have vested financial interests in increasing the profitability of commercial stations, and no doubt are being "donated to" handsomely to chip away at the BBC.

But politically I'm not sure where the big benefit is. The license fee has and always will be unpopular because no one likes to pay for something that they imagine is free. But destroying the BBC is not a vote winner really.

You can't say the BBC gives Labour an easier ride, either in or out of government. Nor does the. BBC dare to call out the government properly anymore.

They can talk as much guff as they want about the BBC being left wing, but it has no particular left or right wing influence on the public.

As for this Diana tripe, you would have to be in your late 30's to even remember the interview (I would have been about 12) and much older to have cared about it. It's all well and good claiming (correctly) that the public don't give a shit about Boris's corrupt redecoration of Downing Street, but surely they give even less of a shit about a 25 year old interview between a long dead woman and a dying journalist, in which said dead woman freely answered questions?

Because folk like I am a Tree and their right wing counter parts can't cope with different perspectives.

Because folk like I am a Tree and their right wing counter parts can't cope with different perspectives.
Where do you get that from? Its got nothing to do with perspectives. I can cope fine with other perspectives. You may have noticed me talking with people who have other perspectives on here without much of a problem.
Mostly I think the BBC's drama and comedy are utter bollocks, their news is nothing I can't get elsewhere and they have no sport on TV that is worth watching.
Their educational stuff and documentaries are really good though. Also local radio would be missed.

Last edited:
Politically the BBC aren’t too bad either side anymore. Comedically it’s incredibly left wing. I wouldn’t mind so much if some of the BBC manufactured comedians were remotely funny... but when people like Nish Kumar gets gig after gig to spout his ‘comedy’ that just revolves around calling everyone right leaning a racist, that’s what makes me wanna cancel my license fee. It’s just not funny and irritating.

His shows since been axed thank god, but there are many more like him that are about as funny a stubbed toe.

I know they recently clamped down on a few, which is fair enough. Why can’t comedy just be funny - too many times it feels like a bloody political lecture without a laugh to be had.

Politically the BBC aren’t too bad either side anymore. Comedically it’s incredibly left wing. I wouldn’t mind so much if some of the BBC manufactured comedians were remotely funny... but when people like Nish Kumar gets gig after gig to spout his ‘comedy’ that just revolves around calling everyone right leaning a racist, that’s what makes me wanna cancel my license fee. It’s just not funny and irritating.

His shows since been axed thank god, but there are many more like him that are about as funny a stubbed toe.

I know they recently clamped down on a few, which is fair enough. Why can’t comedy just be funny - too many times it feels like a bloody political lecture without a laugh to be had.

The left are upset because Nish had his series cancelled. Keep up!

Where do you get that from? Its got nothing to do with perspectives. I can cope fine with other perspectives. You may have noticed me talking with people who have other perspectives on here without much of a problem.
Mostly I think the BBC's drama and comedy are utter bollocks, their news is nothing I can't get elsewhere and they have no sport on TV that is worth watching.
Their educational stuff and documentaries are really good though. Also local radio would be missed.

Well you're talking crap about the drama, try watching The Pursuit of Love that's on right now.

Sure, I'll give it a watch. I've an open mind, but I really dislike the style of most BBC dramas of the last few years.

Like? I think they're largely strong still.

I actually often dislike their documentaries, the art of telling a story without a fucking celebrity voiceover or presenter has largely died.

Like? I think they're largely strong still.

I actually often dislike their documentaries, the art of telling a story without a fucking celebrity voiceover or presenter has largely died.
Recently I've watched a bit of Killing Eve which i didn't like at all, Line of Duty which has steadily gone downhill after being really good for a while, Dr. Who which is utterly dreadful, a few others that were so bad I can't remember them (this is my general impression, I try to watch something and end up immediately hating it), the bodyguard which i found boring and predictable. I'm not really into period drama but I hear the BBC do good things in that area, but its not my thing. In general, I find their dramas to be very unartistic and formulaic.
IMO the best thing to come out of the BBC in recent years was Orphan Black and that was BBC America and finished a good few years ago now.
TBH the documentaries I watch are mostly science and history documentaries, and I think they're great, although even the science docs have dried up somewhat in the last couple of years. Horizon used to be awesome, even just 3-4 years ago, but they stopped talking about pure science and moved to a kind of health and lifestyle (ie more fearmongering and 'headline-y' science) focus. Also, Storyville is of inconsistent quality but the good ones are really great. I haven't noticed a particular problem with celebrity.
I'm a particular fan of Bettany Hughes' documentaries:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b06542cg/genius-of-the-ancient-world

Last edited:
Recently I've watched a bit of Killing Eve which i didn't like at all, Line of Duty which has steadily gone downhill after being really good for a while, Dr. Who which is utterly dreadful, a few others that were so bad I can't remember them (this is my general impression, I try to watch something and end up immediately hating it), the bodyguard which i found boring and predictable. I'm not really into period drama but I hear the BBC do good things in that area, but its not my thing. In general, I find their dramas to be very unartistic and formulaic.
IMO the best thing to come out of the BBC in recent years was Orphan Black and that was BBC America and finished a good few years ago now.
TBH the documentaries I watch are mostly science and history documentaries, and I think they're great, although even the science docs have dried up somewhat in the last couple of years. Horizon used to be awesome, even just 3-4 years ago, but they stopped talking about pure science and moved to a kind of health and lifestyle (ie more fearmongering and 'headline-y' science) focus. Also, Storyville is of inconsistent quality but the good ones are really great. I haven't noticed a particular problem with celebrity.
I'm a particular fan of Bettany Hughes' documentaries:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b06542cg/genius-of-the-ancient-world

If you don't like critically acclaimed drama maybe that's part about your taste rather than the quality of the output?

How about:

Inside Number 10
I May Destroy You
A Very English Scandal
Normal People
Small Axe

All made in the last couple of years and great in different ways.

If you don't like critically acclaimed drama maybe that's part about your taste rather than the quality of the output?

How about:

Inside Number 10
I May Destroy You
A Very English Scandal
Normal People
Small Axe

All made in the last couple of years and great in different ways.
It probably is my taste! To be fair I have quite specific taste..
If I say some tv show is bollocks it can't really mean anything except that it is not to my taste. Its hard to evaluate things objectively that rely so much on taste. I guess its like I think most music on the radio is also bollocks.

It probably is my taste! To be fair I have quite specific taste..
If I say some tv show is bollocks it can't really mean anything except that it is not to my taste. Its hard to evaluate things objectively that rely so much on taste. I guess its like I think most music on the radio is also bollocks.

I'm pretty surprised given your politics you've no interest in Small Axe or I May Destroy You...

Inside Number 10 has consistently been one of the best TV shows for a decade.

I guess if you just like American formulaic stuff then high brow stuff isn't for you.

I'm pretty surprised given your politics you've no interest in Small Axe or I May Destroy You...

Inside Number 10 has consistently been one of the best TV shows for a decade.

I guess if you just like American formulaic stuff then high brow stuff isn't for you.
Haha. Interesting way of putting it. BBC dramas are pretty much written to a formula, unlike some of the genuinely interesting tv shows coming out of America recently like the latest series of Twin Peaks, The OA, Legion, or even Dirk Gently which was a Netflix show, shows which actually have new ideas and properly use film to explore them with some originality, instead of the same old sterilized London backdrop to a boringly told story.

Haha. Interesting way of putting it. BBC dramas are pretty much written to a formula, unlike some of the genuinely interesting tv shows coming out of America recently like the latest series of Twin Peaks, The OA, Legion, or even Dirk Gently which was a Netflix show, shows which actually have new ideas and properly use film to explore them with some originality, instead of the same old sterilized London backdrop to a boringly told story.

Actually the original Dirk Gently was a BBC show, and was remade by Netflix and BBC America...

Twin Peaks 2 was gash.

Legion is a poor man's Watchmen if you've read the comics. Marginally more interesting than most Marvel shite but if this is your idea of ground breaking lolz

OA - lol it's now clear you like a specific narrow genre of supernatural comic book stuff. Yeah that's super original.

Try something grown up like Small Axe or I May Destroy You. The likes of Steve McQueen have wonderful distinctive voices.

Actually the original Dirk Gently was a BBC show, and was remade by Netflix and BBC America...

Twin Peaks 2 was gash.

Legion is a poor man's Watchmen if you've read the comics. Marginally more interesting than most Marvel shite but if this is your idea of ground breaking lolz

OA - lol it's now clear you like a specific narrow genre of supernatural comic book stuff. Yeah that's super original.

Try something grown up like Small Axe or I May Destroy You. The likes of Steve McQueen have wonderful distinctive voices.
What are we going to get next, an essay on why Coldplay are the best band since U2?

Status
Not open for further replies.