General politics thread: | Page 7 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think today of all days is in anyone's best interests for us to be discussing mothers on a personal level.

I think I already brought it up. There are more single mothers and a rise in violence, it might be looked at even if as only one aspect to the issue.

In reality there ARE many issues, culture, media, the change in females themselves who arent exactly quiet demure ladies who keep quiet when confronted. So whilst that wouldnt be blaming females for a rise, it would suggest more confrontations. Weve all seen social media too, look at the role models, often uncooth foul mouthed, aggressive females.. its different to 20-30 years ago,

Blatantly isnt a female issue tho, its obvious that men have suffered more than females at the hands of the very same types. It is violent behaviour thats the issue and it affects everyone really.

Males are typically the dominant species across the animal kingdom, I think violence might be inherant to a degree in many males, a natural defense mechanism or whatever. Its hard to see how we'd remove it. I saw someone on tv saying it was shocking that for males aggression could be a seen as a side of manliness... but, well it kinda is no?

I think I already brought it up. There are more single mothers and a rise in violence, it might be looked at even if as only one aspect to the issue.

In reality there ARE many issues, culture, media, the change in females themselves who arent exactly quiet demure ladies who keep quiet when confronted. So whilst that wouldnt be blaming females for a rise, it would suggest more confrontations. Weve all seen social media too, look at the role models, often uncooth foul mouthed, aggressive females.. its different to 20-30 years ago,

Blatantly isnt a female issue tho, its obvious that men have suffered more than females at the hands of the very same types. It is violent behaviour thats the issue and it affects everyone really.

Males are typically the dominant species across the animal kingdom, I think violence might be inherant to a degree in many males, a natural defense mechanism or whatever. Its hard to see how we'd remove it. I saw someone on tv saying it was shocking that for males aggression could be a seen as a side of manliness... but, well it kinda is no?
A hit the nail on the head post. I would add in another human instinct. Fear. In this case fear of the consequences of violence. Remove it as we largely have done and it increases.

I haven't found any data, to be honest I haven't actually looked, but I'm guessing that the cost and impact of hauling coal across a continent in trains, and then a ocean to get to the UK, is significantly more costly and environmentally damaging then a train ride down from Cumbria.

That said, anything, particularly figures that are published at this stage I would be sceptical of
As former mining engineer, its pretty easy to knock holes in the most 'detailed' evaluation that involves going sub-terrainean I've been involved far to long to stick my hat on anything that's printed.

With the best will in the world, once you are underground, everything you may have planned for can go out of the window in an instant, if mother nature doesn't want to hang around while you take a large chunk out of the middle, there really isn't anything you can do about it.
They can plan, survey and drill as much as they like, but until you are down there, everything is nothing more than an educated guess.
That's the same for every mine in the world.

What I can say is that at full production, there is the potential for 3m tonne of low ash coal to be produced for the UK steel industry. At the moment every cobble is imported from somewhere else, mainly the US.
The surface exposure will be minimal, there will be no exposed stock yards, and no waste product to dispose of. Its not ideal, but if we consider the whole process on a global scale (as we should) it will be state of the art and significantly less environmentally damaging than those currently supplying the coal.

That said, compared to recycling, primary steel production in a blast furnace is always going to be more environmentally damaging. Unfortunately there aren't enough arc furnaces or recycled metals around to make blast furnaces redundant. If there was, it would certainly happen.
From an economical position, its hard to gauge, arc furnaces use a huge amount of electrical energy, whereas Blast Furnaces use COG from the coke making process, taking the syngas from the coal and using it to fire the furnace. Either way its a high energy and dirty business.

Every ton of primary steel produced needs around 750kg of coal for the manufacturing process, and the UK produces around 7m tonnes per year, all the coal in imported, as are the iron ore pellets.

The UK currently has 3 major mining projects being considered. WCM with the coal mine, a huge potash mine near Whitby.....the tunnel bringing the product to the surface is in Middlesbrough, and a Tungsten Mine ( 4th largest deposit in the world) near Plymouth. There are also lithium mines planned for Cornwall, mainly re-opening the old tin mines and using a hydro-cracking process to extract the minerals dissolved in water.
Do we stop all these projects? They will all be environmentally damaging. The tungsten mine is a particular ugly blot on the landscape.

I wish there was an alternative to mining as an industry. If you dig holes, surface or underground, it is damaging to the environment, but if we are determined to go to a carbon neutral future, (and that shouldn't even be questioned) then unfortunately we need these raw materials, and that means there are consequences.
The trick is to mitigate the consequences as much as possible, and we do that very well in the UK due to pretty strict regulations.

One final point, and an additional benefit of the Cumbrian coal mine is that it would probably kill of the possibility of a nuclear waste depository in the region for good. Its not a good idea to have nuclear waste being stored in the same place as mining is taking place....water can find its way into the most unusual places, mainly when you least expect it.

Kwasi Kwarteng claimed on the Today programme this morning that the Coal Mine is not going ahead.

When he was pressed on the issue and asked if that was the official Government line, his retort was "I am sure the Communities Minister will come to the right decision"

If Robert Jenrick is the decision maker on this issue, it will come down to whether the Company building the mine are prepared to make a sizeable donation to the Tory Party or not.

Kwasi Kwarteng claimed on the Today programme this morning that the Coal Mine is not going ahead.

When he was pressed on the issue and asked if that was the official Government line, his retort was "I am sure the Communities Minister will come to the right decision"

If Robert Jenrick is the decision maker on this issue, it will come down to whether the Company building the mine are prepared to make a sizeable donation to the Tory Party or not.

If they are smart they have already made a donation.

Can you provide some information on the origin of QAnon being on the hard left, CP? This is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that.

I’m sure that will be the case.

I’m really not sure why this is being dealt with by the Communities Minister and not the Department of Industry, but there you go.

I look forward to the spin of why importing coal (that we have to use) instead of producing it ourselves is the best way forward.

I’m sure someone from Government can come out with a suitable patronising statement.

Can you provide some information on the origin of QAnon being on the hard left, CP? This is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that.

Prepare yourself for an attack on something you haven't said.

It's a very long story and will require you to trust me on parts. Do you know much about the history of Anonymous or the chan boards?

I have absolutely no idea about this source, never heard of it. I simply Googled it to see if there was any further info on it, in response to CP's comment
I get it, but the story isn't as clear cut as these articles are making out.

For example, the gag order, has anyone said why there was a gag order on the dad?
I would assume its because this was a court case involving a child and as such, certain privacy laws would kick in. I don't know for sure though i'm just kinda guessing.

The article on TheBL is also written from a clearly anti-trans perspective, going on about doctors with a 'transgender agenda' and an evil school putting ideas in a kid's head. The truth of the matter is probably alot more real than that.

I must say that the involvement of the Hard Left in QAnon and 4chan is a new one on me.

All of the reading I have done on the subject suggests that QAnon first appeared on the 4chan message board around 4 years ago.

The guy, assuming it was a male, started posting Right Wing gibberish under the user name of "Q"; the messages became known as Q Drops or Breadcrumbs and when like minded fruitcakes joined in, the group came to be known as QAnon.

There has been complaints that some of the more colourful postings are the work of infiltrators, but I have not heard of the Hard Left being accused.

Is there such a thing as the Hard left in America?

I just cannot picture the Americans sitting round discussing resolutions and standing orders, certainly not when they could be running around popping a cap in someone's ass.

I must say that the involvement of the Hard Left in QAnon and 4chan is a new one on me.

All of the reading I have done on the subject suggests that QAnon first appeared on the 4chan message board around 4 years ago.

The guy, assuming it was a male, started posting Right Wing gibberish under the user name of "Q"; the messages became known as Q Drops or Breadcrumbs and when like minded fruitcakes joined in, the group came to be known as QAnon.

There has been complaints that some of the more colourful postings are the work of infiltrators, but I have not heard of the Hard Left being accused.

Is there such a thing as the Hard left in America?

I just cannot picture the Americans sitting round discussing resolutions and standing orders, certainly not when they could be running around popping a cap in someone's ass.

Potted history that I'm really simplifying:

Anonymous (who initially were very much hard left but also revelled in misinformation and general shit posting) ran various chans on the Web and #IRC

The #IRC chans were used to bring people together for bot attacks, 4chan etc were largely places to shit post.

In the early days bot chans were open to anyone with a grievance against an organisation but gradually a hierarchy appeared which controlled the use of DDOS/Nukes etc.

This pissed off a lot of folk within Anonymous who by nature were anarchists or generally pretty much railed against any form of authority.

So for a long time there was open warfare with various chans (Irc and places like 4/6/8 chan etc) changing ownership depending on who successfully led attacks.

New chans were being formed that promoted various different splinter groups with different focuses. Lots of bullshit was put out to discredit, create confusion etc.

And the difference between hard left/ hard right anti-establishment types can be waifer thin ideologically. Throw in a lot of shit posting then the conditions were right for more misinformation to come which was siezed upon by those on the fringes of the right.

There's a reason why Qanon all orginated on boards that were originally designed to be for free speech for antiestablishment/hard left/anarchists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.