General politics thread: | Page 2 | Vital Football

General politics thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW this is what prompted Jones to suggest the curfew.
It was to make the old men in the House of Lords understand what women have to deal with constantly.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/sout...lapham-19992681.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I think her point was why should it be women that have to stay in because of crimes committed against them instead of those committing the crimes?

Is this not standard procedure to warn against going out when there is a killer on the loose?
There is a massive leap to say that there should be a curfew and assume there is always a 'potential' killer on the loose.

Is this not standard procedure to warn against going out when there is a killer on the loose?
There is a massive leap to say that there should be a curfew and assume there is always a 'potential' killer on the loose.
I agree, and I would be worried were this a bill that was about to go through, but its not, its just something someone said.
To me it looks like she was making a political point about the response to crime committed against women further victimising women.

Its a very 'women vs men' attitude that personally i think is unhelpful, but I don't think she is actually trying to get a curfew implemented.

I agree, and I would be worried were this a bill that was about to go through, but its not, its just something someone said.
To me it looks like she was making a political point about the response to crime committed against women further victimising women.

Its a very 'women vs men' attitude that personally i think is unhelpful, but I don't think she is actually trying to get a curfew implemented.

Very ambiguous and the incorrect point being made. Perfect Green party member, then ;-)

Very ambiguous and the incorrect point being made. Perfect Green party member, then ;-)
OK so let's imagine for second...
A forest fan gets stabbed at a football match.
The next day, the police turn up at your house to tell you that Forest fans aren't allowed to go to football matches for the next month in case any of them get hurt.
How do you react?

OK so let's imagine for second...
A forest fan gets stabbed at a football match.
The next day, the police turn up at your house to tell you that Forest fans aren't allowed to go to football matches for the next month in case any of them get hurt.
How do you react?

At the moment with relief. But I'd have that 'Oprah' look.

The white male right wing getting all red in the face about Megz, r cuntry, the tranzgenderz, how you can’t say anything anymore.

They’re fairly easy to identify they’ll be sharing badly spelt opinion pieces as fact on Facebook & their profile picture will contain all/some of the following; them holding a fish, a union flag, a picture of Churchill & or a poppy.
Or a sheep profile picture lol.

I honestly cannot comprehend how any bloke could do that to a girl/woman. It genuinely shocks me everytime I hear stuff like it. I’ve got 3 sisters who I was talking about this with and how women are talking about men need to not harass and it’s a culture problem, meanwhile men are saying women need to be more careful when out and about - I wholeheartedly disagree with both. There isn’t a culture problem, it’s individual evil bastards! That’s it. But why should women have to contend with that when they go about their life?

The problem is with people who stab to death or rape and murder is the punishment doesn’t reflect the seriousness of the crime. You hear about these young offenders who’ve killed a teenager for no reason being sentenced and apparently smiling with no remorse as they go down for 15 years, as they’ll be out in 10.

A woman I worked very closely with has a lovely normal family but her 10 year old son was attacked by a teenager, unprovoked, kicked in the head and he’s been in a coma for nearly a year. He’s having to relearn how to talk, use his limbs - some may have read in the evening post... the attacker got 5 years... what kind of punishment is that? What message does that send out? In probably less than 5, he’ll be out and about living life as normal whilst my friend and her family will have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

It should be in my no doubt controversial opinion, that anybody who murders or does something that causes life changing injuries for no reason or there’s no rationale and it’s beyond reasonable doubt who the culprit is, are given a death sentence.

Let’s see how rife knife crime is then or how many of these pieces of shit, the like who murdered that innocent girl Sarah would be on the streets courting women. People can call on the systems ability to change people for the better, but so many don’t, and even if it did, would you rather potentially save the life of somebody innocent or and stop somebody going into a life of crime as a result, or lose an innocent life in the hope that you might get somebody evil change their ways?

It should be in my no doubt controversial opinion, that anybody who murders or does something that causes life changing injuries for no reason or there’s no rationale and it’s beyond reasonable doubt who the culprit is, are given a death sentence.

Problem is, all guilty verdicts have to be beyond reasonable doubt, that's part of the process of giving a verdict.
They still get it wrong alot of the time.
In the US, 1 in 25 death sentences turns out to be wrong.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

Problem is, all guilty verdicts have to be beyond reasonable doubt, that's part of the process of giving a verdict.
They still get it wrong alot of the time.
In the US, 1 in 25 death sentences turns out to be wrong.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

It’s a tough one, and as you point out, perhaps there are some where there is even 0.1% doubt, in which case, it shouldn’t happen.

But I just cannot accept that people like this police officer where no doubt they will find DNA on his car and clothes and his partner will sell him out, that he gets to go and live his life, albeit in a cell. I just don’t think there’s fear of consequence in this country, and as such, police are laughed at.

The punishment needs be more severe.

It’s a tough one, and as you point out, perhaps there are some where there is even 0.1% doubt, in which case, it shouldn’t happen.

But I just cannot accept that people like this police officer where no doubt they will find DNA on his car and clothes and his partner will sell him out, that he gets to go and live his life, albeit in a cell. I just don’t think there’s fear of consequence in this country, and as such, police are laughed at.

If this cop ends up in jail I would say the consequences would be much more severe for him than for most people. Especially if he was a dickhead cop his whole life and pissed off a bunch of people.
I just don't think its practical or useful. In the US, a tiny proportion of people who could get the death penalty actually get it. Most get life. In the UK there were 683 murders last year.
The decision to push for a death penalty trial isn't made by a jury or a judge (they just rubber stamp it), its made by prosecutors and it isn't made rationally at all. You can't kill all cold blooded murderers, because there are alot more than you would think, so they choose based on factors such as how good the defence lawyers are, who the victim was and public perception of the crime. It isn't based on justice but the image of law and order.
I don't think you ever, ever see cops getting the death penalty for anything, for example, because they will have good legal representation so no-one would even try.
Besides that, the evidence that the death penalty works as a deterrent is sketchy at best.

There is the argument that its not about justice but society's right to retributive action which is fair enough, but I don't think you can argue for it on practical grounds, only that we have the right to punish this person in kind for their crime.

Death penalty = innocent people being executed. There is no way around that.

I also think it's flawed for 2 other reasons, 1 it's based on vengeance rather than justice. 2. It is the easy way out for hideous crimes, let them rot forever instead.

Death penalty = innocent people being executed. There is no way around that.

I also think it's flawed for 2 other reasons, 1 it's based on vengeance rather than justice. 2. It is the easy way out for hideous crimes, let them rot forever instead.

But they don’t rot forever, particularly young offenders.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...er-trial-Video-shows-defendants-laughing.html

Remember that PC Andrew Harper who was dragged with the car. They laughed as they were sentenced. It just makes me sick. I don’t want to sound like I enjoy the thought of killing people, but I also don’t enjoy the thought of innocent people dying whilst they get to live their life in any form.

I just keep imaging if that Sarah was my partner or my one of my sisters - I don’t know how anyone could ever come to terms with their killer being able to carry on.

Regardless of whether it’s capital punishment, the justice system is generally flawed and lenient. It’s a bad example for young offenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.