General Football thread | Page 71 | Vital Football

General Football thread

Didn't he score against us in the 1967 semi final\/ 2-1 and we would have won it if Joe Baker hadn't been injured...
Probably, he was one of those players that scored against us for fun, but then he scored against most teams for fun. Joe Baker was put out in the quarter final against Everton when I think it was Brian Labone set out from the first minute to put Joe out and succeeded.

RIP Jimmy Greaves.

Always worth giving this another run out.

Greavsie - John Hegley

it's not much of a planet
that everybody leaves
there's not a lot of faith about
but I am someone who believes
that what we need without a doubt
is more of Jimmy Greaves

imagine Jimmy's picture in every picture frame
imagine all religion praising Jimmy's name
the world is just a candle
and Jimmy Greaves is the flame
won't you gimme Jimmy?

it used to be his turn of speed.
he left defences in a daze
now he rents his turn of phrase
and when I turn on the TV
and Jimmy's there
my spirits raise
and when I'm in a blazing row
and I'm in the process of rolling up my sleeves
I just think of Greavsie and he relieves me
more and more of Greavsie
is what this country needs

he's the man to sow the seeds of sanity
he's off the booze he's on the ball
he's got a message for us all
he can help humanity
to heal itself
to haul itself
from this self-destructive stupor
he's what you call a trooper
I think he's blinking super
he's a trooper super duper
so please don't give me Henry Cooper
he isn't Jimmy Greaves

people say that I'm loopy
they think I'm nothing
but a Greavsie groupie
but I tell them
you're not fit to wash
Jimmy Greaves' moustache.

Anybody watching Fever Pitch: The Rise of the Premier League?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09mqv7k

It's up to episode 3 and very enjoyable.
For fans over a certain age it brings back some forgotten memories. I personally completely forgot about the "Sky Strikers", who were a 2-bob English attempt at scantily clad half time cheerleaders.

Anybody watching Fever Pitch: The Rise of the Premier League?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09mqv7k

It's up to episode 3 and very enjoyable.
For fans over a certain age it brings back some forgotten memories. I personally completely forgot about the "Sky Strikers", who were a 2-bob English attempt at scantily clad half time cheerleaders.

I watched the first episode and that was enough for me. It seemed to want to paint English football as being at death's door before 1992, and then the PL came along as its saviour and made everything better.

It also largely focused on Man Utd - maybe understandable given they were the first champions - but also Alan Shearer for some reason.

I watched the first episode and that was enough for me. It seemed to want to paint English football as being at death's door before 1992, and then the PL came along as its saviour and made everything better.

It also largely focused on Man Utd - maybe understandable given they were the first champions - but also Alan Shearer for some reason.

Beckham is in it later and he IS a dreamboat.

English football was at it's death's doors because those rat bastard Scousers got everyone banned from playing in Europe so the more successful clubs had vastly reduced revenue that they would have got from gates and TV coverage for European games (which were major sources of revenue back then).

This reduced revenue reduced transfer fees which back then used to trickle down directly to the lower leagues as it was not uncommon for a top team to sign someone from the lower leagues or even non-league and put them straight in the first team.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor...ola-manchester-city-nottingham-forest-5955580

This has really really fucked me off. This arrogant twat, whose success simply stems from being able to spend billions on players to make his team work… and is still without a European cup for City… you know?… the trophy we have two of… suggesting that his shite academy, that has produced all of 2 players in the last 20 years, should play us to improve them.

He’s such a money man that he’s incapable of actually developing youth players in the first place so will only go and spend another £200m in the summer only to get knocked out in the semi finals of the Champions league.

Your club were whipping boys to your Manchester neighbors that offered nothing to the game. You’re now full of plastics in an empty stadium that still can’t buy the big boy prize. Get fucked.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor...ola-manchester-city-nottingham-forest-5955580

This has really really fucked me off. This arrogant twat, whose success simply stems from being able to spend billions on players to make his team work… and is still without a European cup for City… you know?… the trophy we have two of… suggesting that his shite academy, that has produced all of 2 players in the last 20 years, should play us to improve them.

He’s such a money man that he’s incapable of actually developing youth players in the first place so will only go and spend another £200m in the summer only to get knocked out in the semi finals of the Champions league.

Your club were whipping boys to your Manchester neighbors that offered nothing to the game. You’re now full of plastics in an empty stadium that still can’t buy the big boy prize. Get fucked.
Fully agree.

As someone in the article says, the EFL is not here for Man City's convenience. We are their competitors (if not directly) not their leg up.

He can have his under 23 players competing in the football league every week anytime he wants; send them out on loan. If they are really good enough to get in a side ahead of EFL players, they will

Fully agree.

As someone in the article says, the EFL is not here for Man City's convenience. We are their competitors (if not directly) not their leg up.

He can have his under 23 players competing in the football league every week anytime he wants; send them out on loan. If they are really good enough to get in a side ahead of EFL players, they will
As I put on another thread the other day, it is not that long ago that Manchester City v Macclesfield Town was a league fixture, in the Third Division, or whatever today's League One was called at the time. In fact, it was the same season that Forest were last in the Premier League.

Just remember the last time we played them with a team that cost less than wayne bridge

It's ridiculous. Man City barely have ANY fans, ANY history and to be honest, they haven't even really won that many trophies.

They are a tinpot outfit.

Just been reading in this mornings paper that Joe Kinnear has dementia. He didn't preside over the our most illustrious period by a long stretch, but I don't think any of us would wish that on him & his family, so all the best to him & them

Yes, was reading that he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of early onset vascular dementia in 2015.

Very sad.

great fkn football tho eh and has definitely been part of the progression of football, much like Wenger was I suppose, tho hes one pushing for a world cup every 2 years aint he?