General Football thread | Page 70 | Vital Football

General Football thread

They are both incredible young players.

For some reason, tennis is the one sport that really makes me sick to watch when I care about the result. It's probably the most psychological of sports.
Being a cynic I see tennis as one of those privileged sports like motor racing that you do well in if youre from wealthy stock

She has been incredible, qualified and didn't drop a set. Thought she was just cracking when the US crowd were being dicks and putting her off, but she composed herself and breezed it. Could be a dominant player for a while if she plays like that every tournament.

We obviously have better players in the Nottingham tournament than they have in the USA. She lost in the first round here !

That applies to almost all sports, and is irrelevant to the points at hand
I didnt refer it to any point in hand, didnt even realise there was a hand to be honest.
Youre right to a biggr and bigger degree tho, the grassroots of sport is becoming a less even playing field

We obviously have better players in the Nottingham tournament than they have in the USA. She lost in the first round here !

From the Gavin Williamson school of thought, it's simply because Nottingham is a much better location than places like the USA.

From the Gavin Williamson school of thought, it's simply because Nottingham is a much better location than places like the USA.
Turns out that Britain produces so many extraordinarily talented people that now not even Gavin Williamson can hold on to his job.

Sad to hear about death of Jimmy Greaves, now there was a striker. Remember him scoring 4 against us in early sixties, about 1962 I think, when we lost 9-2, having taken the lead early on

I am really surprised that the untimely passing of Jimmy did not warrant its own thread; this is the greatest English goal scorer of all time ffs.

Jimmy's goal scoring feats will probably not resonate with the younger generation, who think Sky invented football in 92, which is a crying shame.

To put things into perspective; if the likes of Grealish and Kane are valued at 100m, Greaves would be in the 500m bracket; particularly in an era were tackling is prohibited.

Greaves was one of the first British players to go and play abroad, when he signed for AC Milan; the move did not go down too well in Italy, with his own players disliking him and the opposition resorting to kicking, punching and spitting on him.

He lasted a total of 12 league games for Milan before getting a move back; he managed to score 9 goals in those 12 games.

He was also the master of the one liner; when asked how he coped with a goal scoring drought, he said "it was the worst 15 minutes of his life".

RIP Jimmy

Didn't he score against us in the 1967 semi final\/ 2-1 and we would have won it if Joe Baker hadn't been injured...