General Football thread | Page 506 | Vital Football

General Football thread

Appealing doesn’t have anything to do with cooperation

Otherwise it would stop teams appealing and that’s not legal
Totally agree and I don’t really understand why some on here and pretty much everyone on any other teams form think we should automatically hand over the 2 points for cooperation because we appealed.

It was documented that the 2 points were given back due to us cooperating and helping them with the investigation rather than fighting and hiding stuff. End of.

The IC made a decision that they thought was fair and we disagreed and appealed

That is our right and doesn’t take away from the fact that we cooperated with the investigation

Not related.

I assume it is possible in theory to add more points but only because the appeals panel believe outright that the punishment was too lenient, not because we appealed.

One another point as many have highlighted on here I think (without being a lawyer) that the issue around the EFL approving of losses for covid and promotion then the EPL rejected at the last minute is a super strong argument.

They have made statements already about not being able override things impacting clubs when outside the EPL, I.e in the EFL. So why do they feel they can reject the findings of the EFL on our accounts from the time we were in the EFL?

Didn't need to. If our finance guy recognises we are in the shite if we don't do anything and we don't do anything then that's enough to me

All we've done is try to find excuses, loopholes or change the rules after the event

It's been a shite season overall and all I'm bothered about now is staying up and trying to forget about it all
Well actually you do need to read it if only to stop posts like this 😂

As pope and others have stated..we are in the shit due to the epl moving the goalposts at the last minute..so how in flying fuck can we prepare or plan for that?

I'm not independent

I support us and desperately want us to stay up

I think we were mad not just to take the 4 points and get on with it

We've just created more chaos and worry we didn't need
We haven’t stopped co-operating, we’re just appealing the decision made, which we are entitled to do. Otherwise why provide an appeals process.

Totally agree and I don’t really understand why some on here and pretty much everyone on any other teams form think we should automatically hand over the 2 points for cooperation because we appealed.

It was documented that the 2 points were given back due to us cooperating and helping them with the investigation rather than fighting and hiding stuff. End of.

The IC made a decision that they thought was fair and we disagreed and appealed

That is our right and doesn’t take away from the fact that we cooperated with the investigation

Not related.

I assume it is possible in theory to add more points but only because the appeals panel believe outright that the punishment was too lenient, not because we appealed.

One another point as many have highlighted on here I think (without being a lawyer) that the issue around the EFL approving of losses for covid and promotion then the EPL rejected at the last minute is a super strong argument.

They have made statements already about not being able override things impacting clubs when outside the EPL, I.e in the EFL. So why do they feel they can reject the findings of the EFL on our accounts from the time we were in the EFL?
Are you a Derby fan or an FA apologist? Whatever it is, I’ve seen a lister on here be wrong so consistently one given topic

Give it a rest man. You’re tiresome on this topic and clearly on your own

So did I imagine all those stories that our defence centred around the fact we deliberately delayed selling Brennan to get more money for him?

And why did we keep spending when we knew we had a problem?

We just kind of turned a blind eye and did our own thing.

And got punished as a result

We didn't even deny it

We just asked for leniency

And the tribunal thought they were being lenient just giving us 4 points. Some wanted to give us more I read
You didn’t but those stories were only part of the picture. The IC weren’t happy that we didn’t sell to Atletico even though that deal was dependent on a sale. They also wanted us to sell to Brentford ignoring the players wishes and the fact that we would be £17.5m worse off which is against the spirit of PSR.

And before you say that the spirit is irrelevant, it isn’t. And you would be wrong to suggest otherwise.

If the wording of a law or regulation goes against the spirit of said law or regulation then the judge or commission must show why they have chosen one over the other. In most cases the law or regulation ends up being amended to fit the spirit.

Are you a Derby fan or an FA apologist? Whatever it is, I’ve seen a lister on here be wrong so consistently one given topic

I think you're replying to the wrong post

Not sure I understand what you are saying?

I am just saying I don’t think they can take points back off us for appealing?

And that the EPL seem to be applying different tactics when assessing efl and epl rules?

Not sure how that makes me a derby fan or out on my own?

Last edited:
You didn’t but those stories were only part of the picture. The IC weren’t happy that we didn’t sell to Atletico even though that deal was dependent on a sale. They also wanted us to sell to Brentford ignoring the players wishes and the fact that we would be £17.5m worse off which is against the spirit of PSR.
In fairness, Brentford's first bid was July so would have been irrelevant anyway

The commission don't say they wanted us to sell to Atletico; they claim that, had we done so, we could have claimed a "near miss" whatever that is, as mitigation. But reading the report (try it Wolfie) I don't feel a huge amount of confidence that they would actually have "let us off" on this basis given the deal probably would only have done through when it did anyway.

The report seems pretty clear that the PL would have charged us anyway and gone after us with just as much gusto. Remember, they wanted 8 points- all to make us a sacrificial lamb to stave off an independent regulator so Masters keeps his job

In fairness, Brentford's first bid was July so would have been irrelevant anyway

The commission don't say they wanted us to sell to Atletico; they claim that, had we done so, we could have claimed a "near miss" whatever that is, as mitigation. But reading the report (try it Wolfie) I don't feel a huge amount of confidence that they would actually have "let us off" on this basis given the deal probably would only have done through when it did anyway.

The report seems pretty clear that the PL would have charged us anyway and gone after us with just as much gusto. Remember, they wanted 8 points- all to make us a sacrificial lamb to stave off an independent regulator so Masters keeps his job
Think the last sentence is the crux of the matter. Previous seasons tams had discussions and plans with PL. Like Everton they carries on regardless.

Did you see any of Chelsea game. VAR denies Chelsea winner. Correct decision. The shock is why the ref failed to spot the foul in first place. It isn’t just VAR it is the woeful standard of refereeing. They could do better by picking a passing fan to ref. Doesn’t matter if they don’t know rules, neither do the refs. That man with the white stick and the dog, he will do.

Think the last sentence is the crux of the matter. Previous seasons tams had discussions and plans with PL. Like Everton they carries on regardless.

Did you see any of Chelsea game. VAR denies Chelsea winner. Correct decision. The shock is why the ref failed to spot the foul in first place. It isn’t just VAR it is the woeful standard of refereeing. They could do better by picking a passing fan to ref. Doesn’t matter if they don’t know rules, neither do the refs. That man with the white stick and the dog, he will do.
I agree the standard of refereeing as well as Var is abysmal in the premier league. I watched a brilliant game in the championship between Hull and Ipswich without of course Var and the game was much better for it both from a fluidity and emotional standpoint. in other words the game flowed much better and when goals were scored both players and fans could celebrate without the prospect of a crushing disappointment 5 mins later after the goal was ruled out!
I would add I think the refereeing has been better in the championship which makes we wonder if premier referees are starting to rely on Var to correct their mistakes which is a joke in itself

I know it’s childish, but I want to park the bus and Yates to get punched in the face by Jack Grealish to get him sent off….then I want Murillo to score from his own half, then I want Ryan Yates to king foo kick Kevin De Byrney and get sent off…even then we’ll lose 1-6 but at least it’ll be funny

Then I want us to beat Sheffield United

We are effectively 1.5 points ahead of Luton. We had three golden chances to save ourselves, as I still believe one win should save us. We have thrown away the Everton chance, we still have two bites at Sheff Utd and Burnley, with a lesser chance against Chelsea, and virtually no chance today. We definitely need to win next week though , otherwise we could end up going to Burnley needing at least a draw. I certainly wouldn't fancy our chances if we went to Burnley needing a win, and I certainly don't want it going to the last game.

I’ve never looked forward less to a match than today …..

Next week will be worse. The target today must be that we don't do something stupid like losing 6-0 and start to throw our superior goal difference away too. Next week we've got to win.