General Football thread | Page 147 | Vital Football

General Football thread

His dogshit.

I would have said this was the game where the team had to put in a good performance or he goes.

Last chance saloon business.
Why?

Last chance saloon from what?

Before these Nations League games, his last acts as manager has been qualifying for the world cup with ease and losing England's second ever final on penalties.

So where has this "got to go" come from? Two defeats to Hungary, and reasonable draws with Italy and Germany?

Why?

Last chance saloon from what?

Before these Nations League games, his last acts as manager has been qualifying for the world cup with ease and losing England's second ever final on penalties.

So where has this "got to go" come from? Two defeats to Hungary, and reasonable draws with Italy and Germany?

Apart from being a nice bloke and having good PR, what does he have to offer?

Nothing.

When has he ever really looked like getting the best of the players available to him?

Never.

One of the greatest pools of players available in history.

Nothing.

When has he ever really looked like getting the best of the players available to him?

Never.

Are they?

Why are they?

Whom are the superstars?

Who are the players that Bayern, Real, Barcelona, PSG are spending £100m+ because they are desperate to buy?

Not all of them even play for champions League teams; quite a few don't. One of the squad today is a championship player and Kalvon Phillips very nearly was.

You have Kane, who is one of the better England strikers ever.

Then what?

I don't see any individual player better than Beckham was, or Lampard or Gerrard. I don't see any defender better than Sol Campbell was- certainly not John fucking Stones.

What is so special about this team that people think it should have won something? I rather think this lot getting to a final is a fucking miracle

If I was the head of the FA I’d boot Southgate and his waistcoat and big schnozzle down the steps of Wembley tonight , pay him off, and I’d get pochettino in to take us to the World Cup. Yeah an Argentinian. No fucks given.

Could be worse, we could be waiting for another season in the championship but instead we are waiting for PL.

Wont be disappointed if i miss the next ingerland game. Can see why the houghton comparisons cos we were clueless today.

Nothing.

Never.

Your first sentence was enough because it explains everything. This is also why Ron Greenwood got the job ahead of Brian Clough. Being nice is important for sure but it usually ends up with second place. A no nonsense and thorough professional who is as hard as nails and not afraid of making unpopular decisions is what’s required to be a winner combined with the actual coaching skills of course. Looking back over the years I can’t think of any England manager who matches this criteria. Perhaps Venables? But that’s about it.

Your first sentence was enough because it explains everything. This is also why Ron Greenwood got the job ahead of Brian Clough. Being nice is important for sure but it usually ends up with second place. A no nonsense and thorough professional who is as hard as nails and not afraid of making unpopular decisions is what’s required to be a winner combined with the actual coaching skills of course. Looking back over the years I can’t think of any England manager who matches this criteria. Perhaps Venables? But that’s about it.

Capello fit that criteria didn't he?

Why does he have to go?

Is that a disrespect to Hungary thing? Are there any other countries that are so crap that a home defeat automatically triggers the sacking of the most successful English manager of most of our lifetimes?

He has to go because despite having a huge amount of depth in talent, he still manages to fuck it up. Dreadful appointment, dreadful manager.

When it comes to tournaments, how often do you see teams winning them by playing all-out attack football and scoring a ton of goals?

Look at the last few winners and you'll see they've tended to grind out wins and scrape through the knockout rounds.

The idea that Southgate should have approached things any differently in the last two tournaments is nonsense.

Are they?

Why are they?

Whom are the superstars?

Who are the players that Bayern, Real, Barcelona, PSG are spending £100m+ because they are desperate to buy?

Not all of them even play for champions League teams; quite a few don't. One of the squad today is a championship player and Kalvon Phillips very nearly was.

You have Kane, who is one of the better England strikers ever.

Then what?

I don't see any individual player better than Beckham was, or Lampard or Gerrard. I don't see any defender better than Sol Campbell was- certainly not John fucking Stones.

What is so special about this team that people think it should have won something? I rather think this lot getting to a final is a fucking miracle

I'm not saying we should have won anything, but given our luck of the draw, we should have probably gone one better in the WC and reached the final and probably beaten Italy of the tactics were better.

TAA is arguably the best in the world in his position. James is not far behind.

Stones has won multiple PLs.

Maguire is one of the most expensive CBs in the world.

Henderson is a CL winning captain.

Rice was one of the best players in the PL this season.

Bellingham and Saka are among the best up and coming young players in world football.

Foden is genuine world class.

Grealish could be world class and is one of the most expensive players in the world.

Sterling has been awesome in major tournaments.

Kane is arguably the greatest English player of all time.

Abraham just scored a load in Serie A.

This is probably about the 3rd or 4th best batch of players England have had in it's history.

Last edited:
When it comes to tournaments, how often do you see teams winning them by playing all-out attack football and scoring a ton of goals?

Look at the last few winners and you'll see they've tended to grind out wins and scrape through the knockout rounds.

The idea that Southgate should have approached things any differently in the last two tournaments is nonsense.

Problem was that against Croatia, we went too defensive despite being on top, buckled under the pressure and conceded the momentum.

Same story against Italy and we got lucky against Germany because they missed a sitter, otherwise the exact same would have happened.

Our heavy reliance on Harry "Penalty" Kane is costing us. Southgate has his favourites in Mount/Maguire who play a lot. There are a lot of players who don't quite fit the system he seems to want us to play. There's little cohesion between these players, just a group of very good individuals.

Gallagher, I rate. I think he offers more than say Grealish. Ward-Prowse is underrated because he plays for Southampton and looks like an English Darren Fletcher and not a poster boy (the ex Man Utd one). I'm glad he's finally playing Guehi and Tomori. Tomori is good enough to start with Stones, leave council slab head at Old Trafford.

James is better than Trent IMO. Trent has just won it all. James has the hunger required for England. Left back, I'd put Colback or James if needed. Kyle Walker on the right.

Ramsdale shouldn't be seen in an England shirt again for a bit. Pickford is our number 1, Pope ought to be number 2, more club experience.

Kalvin Phillips is one of those good Championship/bad PL players. Rice/Ward-Prowse trump him.

Grealish doesn't fit in but tries to individually change games.

Saka cries a lot. Not sure what else he does.

Raheem/Foden are world class.

Bowen has made a good account for himself.

Southgate is just a woke yes man.

On another note, to stop talking about how wank England are under Southgate, Australia beat Peru on penalties last night to qualify for the World Cup.

The Peruvian keeper, possibly inspired by Samba had the instructions for the penalties taped to his water bottle.

The Australian keeper noticed this so threw the Peruvian keeper's bottle into the stands!

PMSL.