Gabby Agbonlahor thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Gabby Agbonlahor thread

Can all of the Gabby haters please get a grip. Let me restate my argument (and that of most of the Villa fans you call Gabby apologists'):
I do not consider him to be an elite EPL player but he does bring something to the table. I stated very clearly that I see him as an impact sub/ rotation player.
He infuriates me with his inconsistency which is why he is not a first team player in my opinion.
He had a decent game against Bouremouth. I would say we created 5 or 6 goal scoring chances/ half chances in the game and three of them were from Gabby; the foul he drew just outside the box, the individual run he made leading to a shot (yes a weak shot), and the cut back to Gueye. Again not great but how can you say he we woeful.
In response to some of your comments:
BarosBarryBouma
You listed 40 odd players that you would rather have. I agree, most of them I would rather have then Gabby but how many of them would sign a contract at 50k or less a week to play for us? The key part of that last sentence is PLAY FOR US. If Gabby was up for a contract this year I doubt we would be trying to resign him at 50k a week but it's the contract we offered him which he signed.
You quoted "I don't see anyone giving Gabby dogs abuse." here are three from just the last two pages:
"...can't run with the ball *at all*, can't control the ball *at all*, is obscenely overweight..." (Bonker)
"he has a touch like a baby elephant on a beach ball and very little skill , sooner the overrated wages thief goes the better" (Villan57)
"I should be playing every week. I'm 65, overweight, just over half a working heart but" (1958Villan)

Bonker
Pace? Not with the ball he ain't - when was the last time his "pace" got us *any* advantage in a game other than beating an opposing player to the ball until he gives it away again two seconds later?

Rewatch the Bouremouth game. How many people did he blow by on his individual run? If you want to criticize his finishing I am with you but nobody can disagree with his pace.
Summary: Is Gabby great? absolutely not. He is inconsistent, not technically gifted, and is far from a clinical finisher but to lump him in with the likes of N'Zogbia is misguided. I think he started last week because the game plan dictated it, the already large turnover of the starting XI, and injuries limiting options. I wager he will come off the bench or fill in for injuries/ fixture congestion and for that purpose he has value. Now do I sound like a Gabby Lover?

I ain't sayin Gabby kept us up, I'm saying without the goals he scored in those games we wouldn't have those points so therefore would have gone down. I also haven't said u can't criticise him, I'm just saying he doesn't warrant being called a wages thief. Did he give himself that contract? Is it his fault people have decided to pay him whatever wages he is on?

Fuckin lunacy what this bloke is sayin above...Villain57..... Hahahahahaha!!! I also never said its not right to criticise because Sherwood likes him. I merely laugh at the pathetic people who think they know better. As for the comment that he's signed other forwards, that's because we only had two. Did he sign Veretout, Gueye and chased Clasie, Praet and the lad from Malaga because he doesn't rate Westwood? No he just gave him a new contract.

Crispy not disagreeing but how can you say that his pace doesn't open up the field for our midfield to work in. This year it seems we have signed the players (along with Gil and Grelish) to capitalize on that. Again don't get me wrong I am not screaming from the mountain top the greatness of Agbonlahor but I think he is 1) better then stick he gets from fans on this site.

Frossum has summed it up well there. My point all along is this is a new era, we won the weekend FFS, Gabby is clearly part of the plans, whatever role that is. He has earnt the right I believe to try and change people's opinions, playing as part of a more positive squad.

I hope he proves the people who still believe in him right. UTV!!

Frossum - 12/8/2015 20:23

Crispy not disagreeing but how can you say that his pace doesn't open up the field for our midfield to work in. This year it seems we have signed the players (along with Gil and Grelish) to capitalize on that. Again don't get me wrong I am not screaming from the mountain top the greatness of Agbonlahor but I think he is 1) better then stick he gets from fans on this site.

Respect your opinion Frossum, he does scare the opposition defence but only for a short while until he makes a mistake or they push him out wide, I really want to see classic Gabby I really do and I hope Tim can get the best from him but for Gabby to progress he needs to take on board the advice given and listen to a couple of home truths and build on it.

He needs to stop hitting the ball at the keeper. What do they do with him in training? I'd get him practising his slot and his chip finish until his feet fell off.

HIT IT ACROSS THE KEEPER AND INTO THE CORNER YOU FOOL.

Seriously, he could score sooo many goals for us if he would just work on his finishing. It's driving us all potty. He's like a golfer with great approach play but terrible on the putter. For McGrath's sake, sort him out before I take up arms.

:13:

lol much as I like the guy that sums it up Grizz Gabby is deffo our true marmite player either you love him or hate him.

Villa_Grizzly - 13/8/2015 10:19

He needs to stop hitting the ball at the keeper. What do they do with him in training? I'd get him practising his slot and his chip finish until his feet fell off.

Seriously, he could score sooo many goals for us if he would just work on his finishing. It's driving us all potty. He's like a golfer with great approach play but terrible on the putter. For McGrath's sake, sort him out before I take up arms.

I almost feel like you have it or you dont as a CF.

You can work on finishing but ultimately I think its a lot to do with mentality and footballing mind. So he lacks the technique, mentality and mind to be a good finisher.

If we get another forward in, Keita Bolde Diao or whoever, it's pretty obvious that Gabby will be pushed further down the pecking order.

CDX_EIRE - 14/8/2015 01:25

You can work on finishing but ultimately I think its a lot to do with mentality and footballing mind. So he lacks the technique, mentality and mind to be a good finisher.

CDX thats pretty spot on, the number of times he ends up in a position to score and fucks it up completly is laughable.

col8 - 14/8/2015 07:28

CDX_EIRE - 14/8/2015 01:25

CDX thats pretty spot on, the number of times he ends up in a position to score and fucks it up completly is laughable.

I remember the days when I used to get excited when Gabby had the ball. But it's no good living in the past, for me we should give him until January to get back to his best, he needs to work on his touch and finishing in training, and if he can't improve, he needs to be moved on.

Another nail in Gabby's coffin just signed. Sinclair, Ayew and now Traore have all come in this summer, and all will playing in the wing/forward position Gabby is usually deployed in. Gestede will be the leader of the line. We also have Grealish and Gil on their way back as well, who will also be fighting for those positions.

Unless Gabby starts to really show some determination, hard work, self-belief and an actual end product on the pitch he's going to be dropping down to the bench... and from there, out of the team entirely. No easy rides any more; we've got serious competition for places up front now.

From my point of view if we can buy a better striker then fair enough. But Gabby would still be a handy option to come off the bench and have around for injuries.Although I like the guy and appreciate his loyalty I am not doing it through rose tinted specs.

Tim obviously see's Gabby as our main striker now Benteke has gone.

Gestede and Kozak to back him up.

Gabby for England!!!!!!!

I'd be shocked if Rudy isn't our main striker... or one more is brought in.

If they view Gabby as the answer then we could be in trouble, although I'd love him to bang them in. His lovely run v Bournemouth made you see he has the skills, then his 'shot' was ridiculously poor.