Forest v Charlton match thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Forest v Charlton match thread

Couldn't believe the amount of ball bong and Diakhaby lost or miscontrolled. If ribeiro gets injured we are in big trouble

6 points from 9 would have to be considered a good week, puts a bit more pressure on Saturday now.

Yesterday was perfect to drop Silva deeper and play Carvalho in his best position and yet even when we were losing he didn't try it. Bizarre tbh.

It's a learning curve for SL too and I suspect last night, Wigan away and a few others have given him pause for thought.

My issue with Taylor is that he'll be another striker in his 30s, where is the resale value?

Fully agree - I thought the game would have suited Carvalho and when he took Silva off instead of Yates, that certainly added to the criticism of SL's selection & tactics.

I do agree about Taylor too, but his resale value is of less importance as there is no fee to secure his services, just a wage and we'll certainly be able to offer more than Charlton. Even in January, would we have paid much more for Taylor (who declined a new contract) than we did for Da Costa?

As I said, no idea how Da Costa will adapt - very little to judge him on last night.

Opportunity wasted, certainly lessons learned for SL!

Fully agree - I thought the game would have suited Carvalho and when he took Silva off instead of Yates, that certainly added to the criticism of SL's selection & tactics.

I do agree about Taylor too, but his resale value is of less importance as there is no fee to secure his services, just a wage and we'll certainly be able to offer more than Charlton. Even in January, would we have paid much more for Taylor (who declined a new contract) than we did for Da Costa?

As I said, no idea how Da Costa will adapt - very little to judge him on last night.

Opportunity wasted, certainly lessons learned for SL!

That would leave us with 3 aging strikers and Tyler who the jury is very much out on. Unconvinced that's a wise strategy long term.

Also wage bill is definitely an issue even if a fee isn't.

I had an awful feeling we were going to lose this and seeing the team sheet prior to kickoff only reinforced this. I’m sad to say once Charlton scored I switched the iFollow off, I knew there was no way we were going to get anything out of the game with the team on the pitch and the way they were playing.

I’m laying the blame for this one firmly at SL’s door, he’s fucked around with the selection on a couple of occasions already and it’s backfired each time. I despise this resting players notion, they’re professional athletes for fuck sake!! Unless you have injuries to contend with you should always play your strongest team in my book. I get it that at this stage of the season some of the players might be tired playing 3 games a week but it’s the same for every other side - they’ll all be equally knackered.

Fantastic chance to secure 2nd spot and really pile the pressure on Leeds et al and we fuck it up completely - I’m absolutely fuming.

I have to agree with others about last night. I wanted the team to remain the same but changes were made. I heard that Sow, Ameobi and Grabban were injured so those three had to be left out.
Bong looked very rusty, but I think with more training and game time should be OK.
Nice to see Jenkinson back and again was rusty but better than bong. Good to see that he can swap sides.
Since his injury, I have to say Yates looks out of his depth. His positional sense and passing was not good and I agree with OKD and CP that once CHarlton scored it was perfect for Carv to replace yates and push Silva next to Watson. Particularly with the pace we had up front.
Apart from the chance, I didn't notice Walker and didn't notice Da Silva either when he came on.
Diakhaby looks like he has electric pace.
Just a disjointed performance by the team. Against Leeds the we seemed to fill the pitch but last night it was almost like we were playing 5 aside on a full size pitch there was so much space.
As has been said above, if we beat WBA to get 6 points from the three games we will be happy. 3 from 9 is disappointing but not the end of the world.
Also want to mention the crowd, very sad to see so many empty seats with probably 10 mins to go.

jenkinson looked like he had a worrying lack of pace for a fullback.

walker looked lost. like he has always done at this level. bullied

That would leave us with 3 aging strikers and Tyler who the jury is very much out on. Unconvinced that's a wise strategy long term.

Also wage bill is definitely an issue even if a fee isn't.

2/3 year deals for Da Costa & Taylor would mean they are 32/3 at the end of their contracts. Grabban is 32 now and on current form, he would not be short of suitors.

Agree with regard to wages, but pretty much all clubs in the same boat & it appears we have cut our cloth in January as a result of having such a bloated squad, which has seen plenty more leave NFFC.

Tyler may or may not prove successful at Forest, either way he is a saleable asset given he's proven his worth in L1.

We have a few youngsters coming through & have just signed the young Swedish lad.

The problem with the Championship - most of the successful sides have experienced strikers at this level, but they aren't quite good enough for EPL.

If Tyler doesn't do much these last games I think he will be sold to a lg1 side probably get a half decent fee. He needs to watch grabban who didn't used to do so much work defending from the front, Tyler just wandered around with their centre backs not closing down and made no useful runs. I would have taken off Tyler, Yates and got carvhallo and da Costa on when he made changes felt like a waste of a sub taking bong off even if he wasn't great.

2/3 year deals for Da Costa & Taylor would mean they are 32/3 at the end of their contracts. Grabban is 32 now and on current form, he would not be short of suitors.

Agree with regard to wages, but pretty much all clubs in the same boat & it appears we have cut our cloth in January as a result of having such a bloated squad, which has seen plenty more leave NFFC.

Tyler may or may not prove successful at Forest, either way he is a saleable asset given he's proven his worth in L1.

We have a few youngsters coming through & have just signed the young Swedish lad.

The problem with the Championship - most of the successful sides have experienced strikers at this level, but they aren't quite good enough for EPL.

Grant, did well in the PL and is younger than Walker...

I'm afraid Yates and Diakhaby are not footballers. I don't want to see either in a squad again. Let's try and develop Mighten and Brennen instead of these 2 clowns
I am sure I read that Bong was a loan only? Can someone factually verify?

In the summer we send back the loanees, and we have some deadwood out of contract. Need to off-load Hefe, Clough and Pants

Albert out for Diakhaby in is looking like a shocking move, despite Albert being passed it

I'm afraid Yates and Diakhaby are not footballers. I don't want to see either in a squad again. Let's try and develop Mighten and Brennen instead of these 2 clowns
I am sure I read that Bong was a loan only? Can someone factually verify?

In the summer we send back the loanees, and we have some deadwood out of contract. Need to off-load Hefe, Clough and Pants

Albert out for Diakhaby in is looking like a shocking move, despite Albert being passed it

2.5 year deal :/

I think the changes last night have really given Lamouchi an excuse for a performance that was irritatingly similar to some of our efforts with a full side. Last night was as dreadful and uninspiring as Cardiff at home, as Sheffield Wednesday, and even though we beat Barnsley and Wigan, we were just as crap against them.

The problem is just myopia on the part of the manager. In home matches against weaker sides, our system simply doesn't work. Having 7 of your starting 11 as defensive players (including the keeper), gives you no room for chasing a game. I was bewildered as to why we didn't change it at halftime, we were crying out for somebody like Carvalho to come on for Yates.

We were sluggish and rubbish, yes, but we often are when we win. Our inability to find a Plan B has left 3 or 4 points out on the pitch this season. Charlton kept giving us the ball back, but they must have been laughing at how hopeless and ponderous we were in possession. I'm also starting to find myself in the minority of fans who think Tiago is useless. He's a pretty footballer, but he doesn't progress our attacks at all. His set-pieces are dire, too.