Forest v Charlton match thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

Forest v Charlton match thread

I think the changes last night have really given Lamouchi an excuse for a performance that was irritatingly similar to some of our efforts with a full side. Last night was as dreadful and uninspiring as Cardiff at home, as Sheffield Wednesday, and even though we beat Barnsley and Wigan, we were just as crap against them.

The problem is just myopia on the part of the manager. In home matches against weaker sides, our system simply doesn't work. Having 7 of your starting 11 as defensive players (including the keeper), gives you no room for chasing a game. I was bewildered as to why we didn't change it at halftime, we were crying out for somebody like Carvalho to come on for Yates.

We were sluggish and rubbish, yes, but we often are when we win. Our inability to find a Plan B has left 3 or 4 points out on the pitch this season. Charlton kept giving us the ball back, but they must have been laughing at how hopeless and ponderous we were in possession. I'm also starting to find myself in the minority of fans who think Tiago is useless. He's a pretty footballer, but he doesn't progress our attacks at all. His set-pieces are dire, too.

My worry is that when Sow is injured, Sabri picks Yates and his lack of mobility, pace (to elaborate, that is something other than the one, ponderous pace that he plays at), dynamism, skill, passing etc is a problem for us.

I'm not saying that Yates is a bad player, but I just don't think that it works with him and Watson together. That is no criticism of Watson either, he was one of our better players last night.

I've not seen anything from Semedo yet, that would justify him getting a place on the bench, never mind starting and I just don't understand why, when losing 0-1 at home - he wouldn't give Carvalho 30 mins?

To freshen it up, I would rather we actually give Brennan a run or perhaps even Zach Clough, given that we're paying his wage - it may just help us to sell him.

Hogan was frightening at Brentford but he never stood a chance at Villa. If he did play he looked awful and he spent most of his time either injured or ignored.

Fair play to Brum for taking a punt as he was similarly bad at Stoke. I can only imagine what our fans would have said (me included) had he been signed but if he carries on the way he has started he will have no shortage of suitors in the summer.
I'd have said great, always rated Hogan. Certainly better than what we signed.

Agree with all that building the squad etc. The problem is that we may to forced to sell some of the better parts of the squad to rebuild the not so good parts which is rather self defeating. The key is being able to keep your good players, and build on that, but that does seem the way with the current regime. Perhaps next season may see a loosening of the purse strings a bit, may be we are still trying to balance the books from all the money Karanka spent. With FFP it is always going to be difficult for a club with an income stream the size of Forest's to improve the squad without financing that improvement by sales, although some with even lower income streams eg Brentford seem to manage it comfortably, perhaps we should be looking closely at their business model

Agree that we need another season of rebuilding but, firstly, that may not have been necessary had we recruited better this year. Of the 16 players or so that we've brought in (admittedly some on loan), only Samba, Ribeiro, Sow, Ameobi and (to a degree) Silva have been successful. You can ship the other dross out, for me. I have no confidence that the 'recruitment team' would perform any better next season.

What we've done is add to our dead wood - with some highly questionable permanent signings (Da Costa, Jenkinson, Adomah, Bong). Unimpressed.

Secondly, as you say above, we may have to sell our stars from this season, e.g. Cash, Worrall - two of our own. What a shame that would be.

In the Championship you can't stand still. Our best chance is right now, which makes our lack of ambition /apparent need to economise all the more disappointing.

Last edited:
I actually think this might be the worst January transfer window we have had.

I would probably have preferred that we do absolutely nothing, letting no one go and no one arrive rather than add to the deadwood.

At such a crucial time too.

Apparent European scouting geniuses but we bring in a reject from huddersfield and another from Brighton on a 2 year deal

Hopefully Millwall and reading can at least get a draw tonight, if they do damage wasn't too bad and we can make up for last night on Saturday. I have a feeling all the 3 injured players will magically appear and the team ignore Charlton and carry on from Leeds, that loss pissed off most of us Sabri will want to put it right.

That said, I don't think we should be too hard on Bong.

It was an utterly dreadful debut.

But that can't be reflective of who he is as a player.

You don't play a significant part in a Brighton promotion squad and then play plenty for them in the PL playing like that.

He was rusty but there has to be a lot better to come

You don't play a significant part in a Brighton promotion squad and then play plenty for them in the PL playing like that.

Was never impressed the times I saw him and although he was better than last nights showing it wasn’t by too much.

Glad somebody said it- cant really judge cos we were so disjointed

The vast majority of brighton fans say he is absolutely terrible. Sadly.

It was like Dour Doug or Cotternill ghosts had returned to shower us with shit one last time. Big big wake up to our scouts that these players not only aren’t PL class but aren’t even top half of the championship.
It seems you forgot the odds these fellas had against them, especially Dougie. When he arrived the team went on a winning streak that brought us close to the play offs, at the time of his sacking he had to play most of that season without the Ass ...can u imagine this Forest without Grabban or/a d Sow for half a season? ... we will be calling for Sabris head as we will be , at best mid table fodder playing football like yesterday's

The vast majority of brighton fans say he is absolutely terrible. Sadly.

Our recruitment team seem like they are fond of smoking bongs. Maybe some form of confusion derived from a conversation in relation to the above mentioned smoking paraphernalia thereby leading to Gaetan's arrival at the club.

You don't get promoted with a left back playing the way he did and you certainly don't stay in the PL with one.

An established PL side's views of what is terrible is going to be a bit different to ours.

Djimi traore won a champions league at fullback

Danny fox won promotion as a left back

Lamouchi post match from BBC site, pretty much what we've been saying:

"We could have played for two or three hours and we didn't create a lot, wrong night and a bad performance. Lewis Grabban didn't play with a problem with the knee, same as Samba Sow and Sammy Ameobi.

"But for Matty Cash, and Yuri Ribeiro it was a mistake. Tonight was totally different to three days ago, no rhythm, none of the same fight or spirit.

"I changed because we have a lot of games, but it was my mistake."
Bong and Jenkinson (as shit as they were) must be buzzing after hearing that, they must be chomping at the bit for the next game. Poor team selection, and poor post match as well. I like him, but it wasn’t his greatest night as manager.

Yes he fooked up, but he owned it too (couldnt have done much else). I hope after today we can stop the moaning and get on with getting ready for west brom. Im as fed up as the next tricky but im also fed up with moaning.

Automatic is still a (slim) possibility which is astonishing really, a play off place is ours to lose. We are having a much better season and have improved.

If we sell our best players in the summer i will be pissed but not before it happens so im not gonna start gnashing my teeth now. Bad as it was, it was just 3 pts and not as bad as leeds or brentford losing to us. Beat wba then we will once again forget the horror show.