Footballs gone mad | Page 3 | Vital Football

Footballs gone mad

There's all this talk in 100% about irresponsible spending and the clubs in the championship mortgaging their future for a shot at short term success. What Swansea did was responsible and sustainable. Despite the parachute payments their wage bill was a looming tower threatening to topple ovee. Yet they're now being called out...

In the words of the old song ; It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it,
t'aint what you do it's the time that you do it.

Ellis Short did it the wrong way and at the wrong time with a succession of terrible appointments at manager and sporting director level. He's £200,000,000 poorer as a result and we have only stayed out of administration or worse due to his generosity.
Swansea had just spent seven seasons in The Premier League yet wouldn't support their new manager for twelve months. There's a time to speculate and a time to pull your horns in. In my opinion Sunderland and Swansea both got it wrong.
The golden future career I expect Potter to enjoy will show what a false economy Swansea's owners made.

There's all this talk in 100% about irresponsible spending and the clubs in the championship mortgaging their future for a shot at short term success. What Swansea did was responsible and sustainable. Despite the parachute payments their wage bill was a looming tower threatening to topple ovee. Yet they're now being called out...

Swansea had been making big operating losses for the last few seasons - even after the increased TV revenues -it had been player sales that were bailing them out (£37m in 2016-17 and £46m in 2017-18).

It was hardly surprising that they had to do that again following relegation.

What's more they had a £90m wage bill. They still had a very experienced squad last season.

I have no idea about Graham Potter's qualiites but I do know that Sheffield United got promoted with a wage bill around £20m.

In the words of the old song ; It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it,
t'aint what you do it's the time that you do it.

Ellis Short did it the wrong way and at the wrong time with a succession of terrible appointments at manager and sporting director level. He's £200,000,000 poorer as a result and we have only stayed out of administration or worse due to his generosity.
Swansea had just spent seven seasons in The Premier League yet wouldn't support their new manager for twelve months. There's a time to speculate and a time to pull your horns in. In my opinion Sunderland and Swansea both got it wrong.
The golden future career I expect Potter to enjoy will show what a false economy Swansea's owners made.

Yes and Swansea were Sunderland #2 in the making... Bad investments in players on Premier League wages, a succession of poor management choices, facing vastly reduced income in little over two years. Do you balance the books now or shoot for the moon, fail and turn into another L1 has-been saddled with debt and a wage bill you can't shift? I could be accused of being over-cautious in my life, but I know that faced with that situation, and having seen what has happened to practically every other club that has been in the same situation, I sort it out now and lay the foundation for a more sustainable future.

So Swansea not much more than a decade ago were bottom of L2 with a crumbling stadium and going nowhere. Regardless of the great years in between they now find themselves in The Championship with an excellent modern ground and much improved fan base. They appear to be cutting their cloth to avoid going into debt so that when the stars align once more they are in a position to push on and quite possibly launch another assault on getting promoted back to the PL. If that doesn't happen they stand a very good chance of becoming an established Championship side. Remember this is Swansea we are talking about, not Villa or Leeds. It strikes me as good and sensible progress and one of football's success stories.

Potter's left Swansea City and is set to become the new B&HA manager.
I expect B&HA to become an established Premier League club now. I don't think Swansea City will play in The Premier League again in my lifetime.

On reflection I was too hasty to denigrate Hughton's performance at Brighton recently. After due consideration I feel he should be given another chance at Championship level with immediate effect.

On reflection I was too hasty to denigrate Hughton's performance at Brighton recently. After due consideration I feel he should be given another chance at Championship level with immediate effect.

I think he suits teams that play in stripes too.