Footballs gone mad | Vital Football

Footballs gone mad

Brighton have sacked Houghton. Cue another foreign unknown manager.

:shake: Unbelievable! Yes you are correct anothe foriegn coach on the way I suspect.

Be careful what you wish for though! Ipswich sacked McCarthy because the fans weren't happy. Look what happened to them. Oh yes they were relegated and will be playing us next season :grinning:

Ridiculous, hope they get a quick reality check next season and go down.

Yes we could be playing them in the League the season after next then. Which will be another one of our victims in the FA Cup run. Only Arsenal in the League to go then :grinning:

This reminds me of when Charlton let Curbishley leave cos they thought they could do better.
Totally deluded, the Swansea manager is favourite apparently.

Never ceases to amaze really.. i thought he has actually done ok and the end of the day he kept them up . 3 others didnt

To be honest I'm not surprised that he's gone as Brighton have been dismal since Christmas. I'm sure the owners envisaged another season of struggle if he had stayed.

To be honest I'm not surprised that he's gone as Brighton have been dismal since Christmas. I'm sure the owners envisaged another season of struggle if he had stayed.

I think Brighton are likely to have another season of struggle either way tbh.

Except by keeping Brighton up that is the same as winning promotion from the Championship again.
And earns them another £100 million and more!

The 20 Premier League clubs could employ the best 20 managers in the world, sign the best 400 players in the world, and three of them would still be relegated!
Brighton have stayed up. That is a major success for a club like them.

This is a very mad and very short sighted sacking.

The sort of comments on here are those that come from fans of teams who don't watch the teams in question or media hacks who don't pay out of their own pocket.

There comes a point when mere survival is not enough and you have to aspire to something better, or at least more entertaining. Since promotion Brighton have been a safety-first side, which has at least worked in keeping them from relegation (just, they were fortunate this season there were three poor teams below them) but I can well imagine it's been difficult for their own supporters to watch them.

The same for Ipswich, and lots of other clubs making up the numbers and boring everyone to death in the name of survival.

I'm sure all of us are aware that it sometimes becomes a real chore to watch your own side. Change might not work out, but at least it gives a bit of hope.

And Hughton will have no problem whatsoever getting another manager's job, so what's the issue?

The top 6 is the top 6 every year, Leicester aside, so the prem is a 14 team league, i see no difference between 7th and 17th apart from around £20m, brighton earned £102m, watford earned £120m. Staying up (£17th) guarantees a similar amount for next season. Realistically 7th is the ceiling. Charlton, Sunderland, Leeds, Villa etc.. swap and change managers and are struggling to get back, I’m sure if you offered them 17th in the Prem for the next 5 years they’d snap your hand off.

If you offered me the Imps staying up in the championship for a couple of seasons, I’d snap your hand off right now, given our financial situation. Obviously if our finance improves my expectations, likewise would increase. Football fans need to be realistic.

I can see why clubs try to do something about medirocracy- It may galvanise improvement, but equally it can lead to a decline and a relegation. Two times when I think this has applied to City is first in 1970 when we sacked Ron Gray and had to apply for re-election the following season. The other was when Murphy departed in 1985,and we subsequently suffered 2 sucessive relegations to the Conference.

Also Brighton picked up 22 of their 36 points in the first half of the season. The second set of 19 games yielded 14 points. That's relegation form, why wait for it to continue at the start of next season?

"Earning" 100m plus from TV rights is an irrelevance, nearly all of it (or more) is going to go to the players.

Stoke lost £50m in 2017-18 when they were relegated, WBA lost £13m.

Relegation is coming for Brighton sooner or later anyway. They may as well try something different.

Hughton seemingly did a great job in getting them to the PL, but remember how much money they gambled in doing it - I seem to remember them deliberately losing around £40 million in their promotion season alone (and possibly £25 million the season before). That does not denigrate the job he did, but it certainly helped. They would have been in big trouble very quickly had promotion not been achieved.

All clubs have ambition, and Brighton do not want to become just another Championship/PL yo-yo. Their ambition has moved on from simply wanting to make it to the PL to wanting to stay there long-term. Quite simply, they obviously do not see Hughton as the man to deliver that. They have been on a dire run, no escaping that, and the alarm bells have been ringing for some time. Take a quick look at their match stats throughout April for a real horror story. They have significant negative momentum that does not bode well for next season.

Fans will always love him for taking them up, but would that become tainted if he took them down again? Of course. Should loyalty to a promotion-winning manager extend to allowing him to lead them meekly to relegation? Of course not. As BB says, he will have no problem getting another job because he is very effective at Championship level in particular. I can see a raft of ex-PL clubs forming a queue right now.

I can see why clubs try to do something about medirocracy- It may galvanise improvement, but equally it can lead to a decline and a relegation. Two times when I think this has applied to City is first in 1970 when we sacked Ron Gray and had to apply for re-election the following season. The other was when Murphy departed in 1985,and we subsequently suffered 2 sucessive relegations to the Conference.
Murphy was going backwards at Lincoln at that time - we only reached safety from relegation the game before the Bradford fire (v. Cambridge from memory). The view was that he had lost momentum and it was time for a change. Despite what he had achieved a few years earlier, I don't remember too many objections when he left. Lincoln's error was the manager they selected to take his place, rather than the decision to part company with Murphy.

20th in the Premier League for shots attempted, shots on target and expected goals from open play.

19th in the PL for shots in the box and expected goals overall.

Given that their owner (and a fan) Tony Bloom is analytical driven, no surprise to see him take action.

Totally barking . Feel sorry for the guy , just another reason why I don't watch Division one , and haven't for some years .

Hope he gets another post very soon , which I feel he will