Footballs gone mad | Page 2 | Vital Football

Footballs gone mad

I take issue with the thread title. Purely on the basis this is not a new phenomena and we shouldn't be surprised at all.

I take issue with the thread title. Purely on the basis this is not a new phenomena and we shouldn't be surprised at all.

So maybe title the thread "Football's still mad" ??

And it is.
Oh and Hughton also got them to FA Cup semi final...their best run I presume since they were in the final itself (1983?), maybe best run for 36 years and I'd be surprised if they'd ever made the semi or final any other season.
What exactly do owners expect? Brighton were homeless and virtually dead for a long period. They have never spent any length of time at the top level, I'd rate them a third division club traditionally.
Hughton will have just delivered them their highest ever turnover with another year's worth to come at least. And yet still not good enough apparently.

Absolutely disgraceful bearing in mind the successes he's had over the last few years - really good manager and who seems a decent and unassuming man - not just football but the world has gone mad - leadership being taken over by donkeys.

Murphy was going backwards at Lincoln at that time - we only reached safety from relegation the game before the Bradford fire (v. Cambridge from memory). The view was that he had lost momentum and it was time for a change. Despite what he had achieved a few years earlier, I don't remember too many objections when he left. Lincoln's error was the manager they selected to take his place, rather than the decision to part company with Murphy.

I felt at the time Murphy was unlucky and that he did well to keep us in Div.3.- of course things had declined from us being a promotion chasing side.I did think he would have kept us in Div.3 if he had stayed ,although it would have been in the lower reaches.It just shows the risks of trying to do something about mediocrity-it can be a case of "Be careful what you wish for ",especially if you appoint a poor replacement.

Hughton seemingly did a great job in getting them to the PL, but remember how much money they gambled in doing it - I seem to remember them deliberately losing around £40 million in their promotion season alone (and possibly £25 million the season before). That does not denigrate the job he did, but it certainly helped. They would have been in big trouble very quickly had promotion not been achieved.

All clubs have ambition, and Brighton do not want to become just another Championship/PL yo-yo. Their ambition has moved on from simply wanting to make it to the PL to wanting to stay there long-term. Quite simply, they obviously do not see Hughton as the man to deliver that. They have been on a dire run, no escaping that, and the alarm bells have been ringing for some time. Take a quick look at their match stats throughout April for a real horror story. They have significant negative momentum that does not bode well for next season.

Fans will always love him for taking them up, but would that become tainted if he took them down again? Of course. Should loyalty to a promotion-winning manager extend to allowing him to lead them meekly to relegation? Of course not. As BB says, he will have no problem getting another job because he is very effective at Championship level in particular. I can see a raft of ex-PL clubs forming a queue right now.
Yeah, Bolton and Ipswich. Souless, boring man who smil less than my Mrs!

Of all the crazy sackings you could get mad at, this isn't one. He did very well there but they'd have been relegated this season if not for a very weak bottom 3. Results like the 5-0 home defeat to Bournemouth showed that some of the players had stopped playing for him - not his fault, but you can't sack half the squad.

Sometimes it's just time to move on for both parties. At least Brighton had the respect to wait until the end of the season. Knowing Hughton, I'm sure he'll take it with good grace and do a good job elsewhere.

I'm not surprised. Leaving aside Brighton's poor form they really are one dimensional and devoid of any flair or ambition. That's alright when you are in National League North and you have to get the job done to the limitations of your budget and players. It's another thing altogether when your TV money starts at 100M plus. Obviously they can't fish in the same pond for players as the big six but they should be capable of competing for very good players along with the likes of another ten or so PL clubs; players that are capable of far more than was on show this season. Hughton's Brighton side have shown no sign of improvement over the last two years and if anything have gone backwards this season.

I'm not surprised. Leaving aside Brighton's poor form they really are one dimensional and devoid of any flair or ambition. That's alright when you are in National League North and you have to get the job done to the limitations of your budget and players. It's another thing altogether when your TV money starts at 100M plus. Obviously they can't fish in the same pond for players as the big six but they should be capable of competing for very good players along with the likes of another ten or so PL clubs; players that are capable of far more than was on show this season. Hughton's Brighton side have shown no sign of improvement over the last two years and if anything have gone backwards this season.
He was an average journeyman footballer who has taken his qualities into management!

It's the right decision at the right time. If the speculation about Graham Potter being the replacement is correct I think B&HA are about to embark on the greatest period in their history.

It's the right decision at the right time. If the speculation about Graham Potter being the replacement is correct I think B&HA are about to embark on the greatest period in their history.
I don't know if this is tongue in cheek, or not.
But, this fella has taken Swansea to the heady heights of mid-table with all of their spending power from the vast parachute payments. I'd suggest the Sunderland route to success has an equal, if not greater, chance of occurring.

I don't know if this is tongue in cheek, or not.
But, this fella has taken Swansea to the heady heights of mid-table with all of their spending power from the vast parachute payments. I'd suggest the Sunderland route to success has an equal, if not greater, chance of occurring.

No sooner had Potter been appointed by Swansea than the owners pulled the rug from under his feet by selling most of their best players. They didn't give Potter any of the vast parachute payments. Had Swansea backed Potter, as Stoke did Rowett and WBA Moore, I'm convinced they'd have gone straight back up automatically. Swansea will pay for their short-sightedness for years to come.
The reaction of Swansea supporters is a good gauge as to Potter's performance. They are greatly saddened at the prospect of Potter departing but are quite rightly directing all anger at their American owners. Had a lesser manager than Potter been at the helm this season The Swans could have been following our route to back to back relegations.
All I can say is watch B&HA's progress over the next two or three seasons if Potter gets the job. Then you'll see how tongue in cheek I was being. By the way, who'd have thought three years ago we'd be meeting in the league in 2019-20; I'm presuming our failure to get past Pompey and Charlton/Donny is a formality.

No sooner had Potter been appointed by Swansea than the owners pulled the rug from under his feet by selling most of their best players. They didn't give Potter any of the vast parachute payments. Had Swansea backed Potter, as Stoke did Rowett and WBA Moore, I'm convinced they'd have gone straight back up automatically. Swansea will pay for their short-sightedness for years to come.
The reaction of Swansea supporters is a good gauge as to Potter's performance. They are greatly saddened at the prospect of Potter departing but are quite rightly directing all anger at their American owners. Had a lesser manager than Potter been at the helm this season The Swans could have been following our route to back to back relegations.
All I can say is watch B&HA's progress over the next two or three seasons if Potter gets the job. Then you'll see how tongue in cheek I was being. By the way, who'd have thought three years ago we'd be meeting in the league in 2019-20; I'm presuming our failure to get past Pompey and Charlton/Donny is a formality.

There's all this talk in 100% about irresponsible spending and the clubs in the championship mortgaging their future for a shot at short term success. What Swansea did was responsible and sustainable. Despite the parachute payments their wage bill was a looming tower threatening to topple ovee. Yet they're now being called out...