Football will eat itself. | Vital Football

Football will eat itself.

Agree totally Moonay, the game is going to implode eventually, one league thriving the other leagues slowly crumbling The foundations of the lower leagues will collapse sooner rather than later! Football clubs that are community clubs are being sacrificed by big businesses such as Sky, and when these big businesses start to cut back after this pandemic the whole thing will go!

The writing has been on wall for sometime,
only for TV money, a lot of Prem Clubs would face serious financial problems,
if the rich owners get bored and walk away, leaving the clubs with a mountain of debt.

We often only see the true extent of consequences from decision years down the line. What we are seeing now with the money crippling so much of the game was set in motion years ago and it's the equivelent of trying to put toothpaste back in the tude to try and retroactively fix where we've got to.

Every decision in football by the authorities has been about the immediate future with very little thought going to the knock on effects.

I think the football pyramid as we know it is going to collapse it's just a matter of when rather than if. I can see the Prem breaks off completely and removing relegation and promotion or even the big clubs join a European super league and leave the mid table sides behind. That sounds absolutely hideous to me, but the big clubs with the glory hunting fans bases that rake in the biggest tv audiences already hate sharing out their tv rights revenue with lesser clubs and i think they'll unite to keep an even bigger share and cut out the rest of the league.

We often only see the true extent of consequences from decision years down the line. What we are seeing now with the money crippling so much of the game was set in motion years ago and it's the equivelent of trying to put toothpaste back in the tude to try and retroactively fix where we've got to.

Every decision in football by the authorities has been about the immediate future with very little thought going to the knock on effects.

I think the football pyramid as we know it is going to collapse it's just a matter of when rather than if. I can see the Prem breaks off completely and removing relegation and promotion or even the big clubs join a European super league and leave the mid table sides behind. That sounds absolutely hideous to me, but the big clubs with the glory hunting fans bases that rake in the biggest tv audiences already hate sharing out their tv rights revenue with lesser clubs and i think they'll unite to keep an even bigger share and cut out the rest of the league.

What become like the American version of Football where it's a franchise only with no relegation / promotion.....most probably imo!!!!

I wouldn’t have valued him at that, about a quarter maybe a third of that at best. Not entirely sure what Man City are thinking of with this one, far better centre halves out there for that price. Money these days is obscene and it’s why it’s so heartbreaking to see our players being priced way below their market value.

In the next 20 years I'll be dead and gone and glad I'll not see the demise of the game I once loved. Football and Latics have been a huge part of my life but honestly I'm beginning to despise everything football stands for.

Sadly tho Zakky your not alone in that thinking, I for one despise it, yet despite the feeling I continue to watch football.....those far far higher up than us are killing the working man's ( peoples to be politically correct) game alongside the totally selfish players / agents demanding more & more money every time a player moves......will I be bothered when football dies, probably not cos each season a little bit more of me becomes that bit more disillusioned with how money/ players greed/ TV rights are channeled into a more smaller & smaller group of clubs....so to me the likes of LiVARpool / Man Sh@tty / Man Ure / Chelski etc can take their portion of the blame when we look back in history and see who / what finally killed off football.

What become like the American version of Football where it's a franchise only with no relegation / promotion.....most probably imo!!!!

I think that will be exactly where we end up unfortunately and the rest of the game will be like colleague teams in America - just feeders for the main league.

With respect gents I would imagine Pep would have more idea on what he's buying.
I think you're missing the point Donnie.

He's a decent player, but for him to go for more than 4 times the amount that the administrators set as a bidding level for us is just astonishing.

What's does this make Kipre worth then?

As a person who, due to principles, will never pay Sky a penny for their overrated Sports Channels, it's no use blaming the clubs for the money in football, blame those that pay Sky's exorbitant fees for it.

If it weren't for those that pay those fees Sky could not offer the sort of money they do to the Premier League, World Cricket etc. etc.

The free to air channels have no chance of competing for major sport and have all but given up on trying.

The Premier league, and its clubs, take the tainted money, much as anyone on here would if it were offered, without batting an eyelid, despite seeing what effect it is having on grass roots football and the lower leagues.

If you want to blame the clubs for taking the money, fine, but if we all stopped watching Sky they wouldn't be able to take over in such a way, so I suggest to all those that watch Sky Sports you have a look in the mirror before criticising the clubs out of hand.

Me and thee together TB. ...................... though I must admit to being sufficiently hypocritical to go and watch stuff in the Insti/pub.

Likewise mate, however I generally go to have a drink, the football on TV is incidental.

Besides its usually Man Utd or City and I can't stand them, it also taints the ale having to share my surroundings with their supporters. Most of whom are locals that call their own home town club.

I expect we will be seeing a lot more clubs going into administration in the next few years. Unless you have a huge diehard fanbase you are at serious risk of going under and being expelled from the football league.

As a person who, due to principles, will never pay Sky a penny for their overrated Sports Channels, it's no use blaming the clubs for the money in football, blame those that pay Sky's exorbitant fees for it.

If it weren't for those that pay those fees Sky could not offer the sort of money they do to the Premier League, World Cricket etc. etc.

The free to air channels have no chance of competing for major sport and have all but given up on trying.

The Premier league, and its clubs, take the tainted money, much as anyone on here would if it were offered, without batting an eyelid, despite seeing what effect it is having on grass roots football and the lower leagues.

If you want to blame the clubs for taking the money, fine, but if we all stopped watching Sky they wouldn't be able to take over in such a way, so I suggest to all those that watch Sky Sports you have a look in the mirror before criticising the clubs out of hand.

My thoughts exactly TB, the PL has been the worst decision ever made in English football. It was always based on greed and selfishness. so the big clubs could keep all the spoils for themselves with absolutely no thought given to those left behind. The problem is it’s got so far up it’s own backside that the value of money has become totally irrelevant. When I think of a bunch of generally uneducated, avaricious young men being paid ridiculous and exorbitant amounts of money each week it makes me feel physically sick. When you consider that the majority of this money comes from those who subscribe to Sky and BT it almost makes you weep. As long as people continue so will the ever increasing imbalance. Sadly, I can’t see it end because it’s almost a drug for some people who look no further than their TV. Thankfully I’m not one of them and wouldn’t put a cent into Sky and therefore don’t contribute to this madness that is destroying football as we have always known it.

Well I’m a ‘lifer‘ at Latics and I also have Sky subscription including the sports, and I’m not about to give it up.
I hear the criticism and whilst some of it is valid and the Premiership as a concept is fully deserving its share of stick ...It’s not all one way.

The money generated by the Sky contract has allowed many clubs to build stadiums worthy of the name. These places do lack the atmosphere and sense of history that their old grounds had, but you are far less likely to get killed or injured in the new ones. The various tragedies we saw in the 70s and 80s would likely have been repeated over and over as the old grounds continued to deteriorate.

Yes too much money has found its way into players pockets and agents especially but for myself anyway who never sat in the stands and resented having to at the JJB....well I couldn’t go back to standing now.

Strangely I rarely do more than dip in and out of live matches on Sky, unless I have a specific interest... but I do like Sky Sports News ....and most of all I just couldn’t do without the cricket!!
Now....If anyone wants to get it back on the BBC ....resurrecting Jim Laker and Richie Benaud ...and Peter West interviewing a clearly pissed Ted Dexter during the tea interval ....(God bless em all) .....then I’d drop Sky like a hot turd tomorrow 😂