Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 81 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Having read the above 2 articles it all seems like taking a massive risk after risk.

Regardless of what wages they are on, I can't see 100% of players feeling comfortable being forced back into playing football again with so many people dying on a daily basis.

And should they catch the virus from this proposed training and actual games that would involve close physical contact what happens if just one player catches the virus and permanently destroys his lungs if not kill him?

Would it have been worth taking such a big risk like this?..............Of course not.
Absolutely spot on.

Yesterday- FIFA medical adviser says football should not return and should be planning for next season

Today - UEFA medical adviser says football should be ok to return.

Symbolises a shambolic lack of joined up thinking caused by them pursuing their own agendas to get their own ducks in a row first.

Meanwhile the UK government make headline grabbing statements about wanting football to return yet the National Football Police Chief questions how football returning behind closed doors is possible given the challenges.
Do these people not know what phone and email are ?. Pathetic.
Also spot on.

I feel like I am talking to a brick wall.

You say it yourself. AT THE MOMENT. The health minister has said the same, AT THE MOMENT. I have said the same, AT THE MOMENT. But this industry, like any industry, is right in discussing if and when they can return and what that advice means. It might be next month, or the month after, fine. Then the season can be finished. It might be August, Fine, this season is done, the next might be able to start. It might not be until next year, ok, some within this industry will be on the dole or ruined, that is life.

Of course food, health and so on are more important. Jesus, how is that not just a given?

I'm getting irritated, so forgive me, but people are stating the bloody obvious.

What I am saying is jobs are jobs, you losing yours would impact you and yours, me losing mine, would do the same.

Throughout this I have said football/any other industry, can only return when the Gov give it the ok, that it is deemed safe. Again, that should be a given.

I'm sorry though that people can't see that no one losing their job, or an industry being destroyed would have anything but a negative effect on the economy and lives. I can't help it if people want to be clouded by that simple economic and political fact.

It is so fucking obvious what I am saying, some of you must just be trying to yank my chain or deliberatly be obtuse.

Talk of football returning does not effect the talks of the car industry returning, the talk of small shops being re-opened, the talk of building works being re-opened, and so on. They are not mutually exclusive.

If you think, for some unknown reason, I am saying I would rather no food be manufactured and it being replaced with football, then I'm sorry, that is your problem not mine.

But your job is no more or less important than any other hard working person trying to make a living to feed their families, pay their bills and contribute to the economy.

And my standpoint on the football debate could not be more clear. If it is deemed safe by the gov for this industry or any other to re-open, following clear, logical scientific and medical advice, great. THAT is why the Government departments are there, that is their job.

IF they deem it not safe, fine, life is more important.

That, again, should be a given. For anyone, in any debate, at any time. It should be ********* obvious.

I'm hardly saying fuck the footballers, make them play, and if one of them dies on the pitch, allow a sub to take their place.
This industry took 2 seconds to cancel every single league In England below the conference. I don't care how many times you bang your head against a brick wall, I'd do it once and never again. Beyond patronising sir as I have an opinion different to yours and think that if the greed league starts up again then so should every other one because its obviously safe to do so. You talked of no hierarchy in industry, I totally disagree again as food is more important than football which is why I am still at work helping sainsburys make millions.

As I understand it Arsenal , Brighton and West Ham aren't having group training , just holding individual training sessions at their facility. I think Arsenal have something like 10 pitches so there is plenty of scope to isolate the players..

I think they took the it was easier to have individual training there rather than they players having to go to a park to train.

Clubs surely can't be having group training? That can't be right in the current situation?

I suppose if they stay 2 metres apart they sort of meet the rules, plenty of places still working where they have no choice in working closely together.

I have to watch what i say here but to me football is bottom of the pile when it comes to needing to be there and players at the top level will all have treadmills and Gyms and roads at home they can run around on. I don't see the need to have to meet up

ps most people who are working now are doing it because they need the money PL footballers don't need the money they are getting it for sitting at home so sit at bloody home and think yourselves very lucky

No one should be promoted, no one should be relegated, no one should be champion. Void the season entirely. Any attempt to resume it is high irresponsible.

No one should be promoted, no one should be relegated, no one should be champion. Void the season entirely. Any attempt to resume it is high irresponsible.

About 4 European leagues have already done it but of course, those leagues that sky control are hanging on for ................the money, not the supporters not the players just the money.

At Arsenal, players will be invited as a group of 5 only at each time. What West Ham (another one of our final fixtures) and Brighton are doing I'm unsure?

The training at Arsenal IS on individual players rather than a group as I implied in an earlier post so they are not breaking the current social distancing rule imposed by the government. Attendance is not compulsory so it would be interesting to see if they all agreed?

When people are being asked to stay locally when they exercise etc then it's fair to question whether driving from different parts of London (or even further?) to the Arsenal training ground in Hertfordshire, as some of the squad will do, is within the spirit of what is intended for?

Last edited:
Players will be invited as a group of 5 only at each time.

The training IS on individual players rather than a group as I implied in an earlier post so they are not breaking the current social distancing rule imposed by the government. Attendance is not compulsory so it would be interesting to see if they all agreed?

I can actually see the logic in this however when people are being asked to stay locally when they exercise etc then it's fair to question whether driving from different parts of London (or even further?) to the Arsenal training ground in Hertfordshire, as some of the squad will do, is within the spirit of what is intended for?

So basically stay at home! Unless your journey is absolutely necessary and you can't work from home

This kind of story about footballers is helping to make it acceptable to break lockdown.
People don't need much of an excuse and are easily lead by things like this

I can actually see the logic in this however when people are being asked to stay locally when they exercise etc then it's fair to question whether driving from different parts of London (or even further?) to the Arsenal training ground in Hertfordshire, as some of the squad will do, is within the spirit of what is intended for?

But it's not 'exercise' it's their job so that's not the question.
The question is whether they can 'work' from home as per the guidelines. The guidelines being at this current time and since lockdown came in, if you can work from home then you must do so. I would argue that they can absolutely work from home . So to me this is setting a bad example when other industries are still complying with the guidelines.

As i said the other day there is a growing malaise by too many that seem to think it's ok and have taken it upon themselves to start getting back to normal which has categorically not been said can happen at the moment.

So basically stay at home! Unless your journey is absolutely necessary and you can't work from home

This kind of story about footballers is helping to make it acceptable to break lockdown.
People don't need much of an excuse and are easily lead by things like this

That's the way I see it as well mate only I'm trying to be diplomatic in my criticism of these clubs!

What makes them think they can act differently to everyone else is nothing more than misguided judgment and arrogance to me.

Last edited:
But the flipside is , it is ok to travel a short distance to get your daily exercise.

I have given up running along the canal as it is just too crowded and although the pavements are better I have been driving a couple of miles to my cricket club where I can run in complete isolation without having to stop . If the footballers live by the training ground I don't see the problem as there were reports of when they were running in the local park people were stopping them for selfies etc , which then breaks the isolation rules.

But it's not 'exercise' it's their job so that's not the question.
The question is whether they can 'work' from home as per the guidelines. The guidelines being at this current time and since lockdown came in, if you can work from home then you must do so. I would argue that they can absolutely work from home . So to me this is setting a bad example when other industries are still complying with the guidelines.

As i said the other day there is a growing malaise by too many that seem to think it's ok and have taken it upon themselves to start getting back to normal which has categorically not been said can happen at the moment.

Their job is playing football matches there aren't any matches to play and we all have to stay fit enough to work regardless of our jobs? They can video link to their coaches and indeed should be every day with Dean Smith.

About 4 European leagues have already done it but of course, those leagues that sky control are hanging on for ................the money, not the supporters not the players just the money.
Very much so and football without stadiums full of people is not worth watching at all, it will be an utterly shite 'product' devoid of atmosphere, drama and emotion.

Very much so and football without stadiums full of people is not worth watching at all, it will be an utterly shite 'product' devoid of atmosphere, drama and emotion.

all about TV not about football. If was genuinely about finishing the league play the games behind closed doors on the training grounds without TV cameras there.

It would be pretty pointless, so it is all about TV and the fans of lower leagues won't even see their team at all so even more pointless

Like putting on a pantomime with no audience.

yep but if sky & the prem can 'lobby' to get their product back on the telly and still flog their adverts without the inconvenience of the unwashed masses turning up - just think of the possibilities - (always just slap some crowd scenes and a bit of noise on the coverage).
base your soccerball franchise wherever you want & play the most advert-friendly games whenever suits