Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 222 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

I had the Phizer one the other day and the nurse told me its about 70% effective on the first dose and the second tops it up.

She was right mate....effectiveness against the Indian variant is lower but overall effectiveness against hospitalization/death is even higher especially after second dose! Anyway....back to the game...!

The vaccines aren't 100% that's the issue, like 30% after one dose and 60% after two (AZ)

No mate, wrong thread maybe.

30% on first dose for Indian variant - boosts to 80% after second dose and studies have shown that true for both AZ and Pfizer.

The Indian variant is still not the dominant strain either.

For original/Kent variants first dose is 50/60% plus and second dose goes into 80/90% area.

Away from the hugely enjoyable game , I am sad to report that there were too many fans not giving a shit about the Covid measures in place.

Walking to the ground was fine , going in was fine .No delays. Weirdly quiet in the concourses, can’t hang around .

On the stands was the issue. Anyone wearing a mask was in the minority I’m afraid. Either no mask or wearing it around the neck were the majority. Another issue was that everyone stood up so people were therefore not in the exact place they should be as planned for social distancing. This meant that people were close together. For example the family next to me , dad and two teenage kids were too close to me and we’re not where they should be. Consequently I shuffled closer to the the bloke on my left. It was on the edge of being too close and uncomfortable. They were not wearing masks and the worst was that the seats they should have been in front of were then filled in the second half by two friends of the daughter who had clearly been sitting elsewhere in the first half. So that is not keeping to their match day bubble is it.
Felt sorry for the bloke in front of me who is a ST holder I sit near to normally who was grabbed and hugged after the penalty by some pissed up bloke who he wasn’t with. He looked really uncomfortable.

After the game, rather bizarrely I thought, everyone was bottle necked out of the same second set of large gates on the trinity rd side of the holte with the first set locked. That meant proper close crowding . I am guessing they were trying to get people going one way away towards the church but that meant tightly packing people leaving which didn’t work. I thought they were staging people exiting to prevent that.

My conclusion.
The only way we are back in August is if the vaccines work. It won’t be beaten or get us back to full houses or even half capacity by people behaving and adhering to social distancing and mask wearing.

Yes looking round there were far more people not wearing masks than were and it has been the same at every game I have seen since fans were allowed back. I got there about 45 mins before kick off and the stewards were asking people to put masks on then , but as the ground filled up I guess they thought it was a futile task.

Not that masks are conducive to singing and shouting. Mine was soaked by the end of the game !!!!

Yes looking round there were far more people not wearing masks than were and it has been the same at every game I have seen since fans were allowed back. I got there about 45 mins before kick off and the stewards were asking people to put masks on then , but as the ground filled up I guess they thought it was a futile task.

Not that masks are conducive to singing and shouting. Mine was soaked by the end of the game !!!!
Were they strict on the ID ing?

Away from the hugely enjoyable game , I am sad to report that there were too many fans not giving a shit about the Covid measures in place.

Walking to the ground was fine , going in was fine .No delays. Weirdly quiet in the concourses, can’t hang around .

On the stands was the issue. Anyone wearing a mask was in the minority I’m afraid. Either no mask or wearing it around the neck were the majority. Another issue was that everyone stood up so people were therefore not in the exact place they should be as planned for social distancing. This meant that people were close together. For example the family next to me , dad and two teenage kids were too close to me and we’re not where they should be. Consequently I shuffled closer to the the bloke on my left. It was on the edge of being too close and uncomfortable. They were not wearing masks and the worst was that the seats they should have been in front of were then filled in the second half by two friends of the daughter who had clearly been sitting elsewhere in the first half. So that is not keeping to their match day bubble is it.
Felt sorry for the bloke in front of me who is a ST holder I sit near to normally who was grabbed and hugged after the penalty by some pissed up bloke who he wasn’t with. He looked really uncomfortable.

After the game, rather bizarrely I thought, everyone was bottle necked out of the same second set of large gates on the trinity rd side of the holte with the first set locked. That meant proper close crowding . I am guessing they were trying to get people going one way away towards the church but that meant tightly packing people leaving which didn’t work. I thought they were staging people exiting to prevent that.

My conclusion.
The only way we are back in August is if the vaccines work. It won’t be beaten or get us back to full houses or even half capacity by people behaving and adhering to social distancing and mask wearing.

Football and any other large scale events were always going to be the tricky point due to the emotion and passion involved. The thing I have to question though is the mask wearing. Now, I'm not an anti mask person, or an Covid is fake person- im actually a Nurse in the NHS and have worked through this pandemic. I wasn't at Villa Park yesterday sadly but I was at Wembley on Saturday for Non-League Finals Day. What is with the mask wearing once you are in your seat? As you said we all purchase tickets in our 'pods' or 'bubbles', whatever you want to call it. You are outdoors where risk of transmission is far less. Why are we having to wear a face covering in this scenario? Why can't they say wear your mask until you get to your seat? Yet you can go into a pub and sit with 5 strangers not from your household and as soon as you sit down you can remove the mask. It's utterly bonkers to me. I really don't understand it.

Good news is the Vaccines do work and are working. June 21 looks increasingly likely to go ahead so this bizarre rule making should be hopefully making its way out the doors very soon. Masks when your outdoors where the Scientists have said its virtually the most minimal risk you can have of catching it. Crazy.

Football and any other large scale events were always going to be the tricky point due to the emotion and passion involved. The thing I have to question though is the mask wearing. Now, I'm not an anti mask person, or an Covid is fake person- im actually a Nurse in the NHS and have worked through this pandemic. I wasn't at Villa Park yesterday sadly but I was at Wembley on Saturday for Non-League Finals Day. What is with the mask wearing once you are in your seat? As you said we all purchase tickets in our 'pods' or 'bubbles', whatever you want to call it. You are outdoors where risk of transmission is far less. Why are we having to wear a face covering in this scenario? Why can't they say wear your mask until you get to your seat? Yet you can go into a pub and sit with 5 strangers not from your household and as soon as you sit down you can remove the mask. It's utterly bonkers to me. I really don't understand it.

Good news is the Vaccines do work and are working. June 21 looks increasingly likely to go ahead so this bizarre rule making should be hopefully making its way out the doors very soon. Masks when your outdoors where the Scientists have said its virtually the most minimal risk you can have of catching it. Crazy.

In relation to the purchase of tickets in bubbles. Yesterday, because everyone was standing up in the HL I ended up being stood next to by someone who was not in my bubble. He was not wearing a mask. I was . Then at half time, his bubble was joined by two others who were not there in the first half. So clearly bubbles were mixing and by persons not wearing masks and the great British public again not using common sense and doing what they want. So it's no wonder that they have to be treated like kids.

In relation to the purchase of tickets in bubbles. Yesterday, because everyone was standing up in the HL I ended up being stood next to by someone who was not in my bubble. He was not wearing a mask. I was . Then at half time, his bubble was joined by two others who were not there in the first half. So clearly bubbles were mixing and by persons not wearing masks and the great British public again not using common sense and doing what they want. So it's no wonder that they have to be treated like kids.

I get the people not being in their correct seats- that should have been better policed. It certainly was at Wembley on Saturday. But I still find it utterly bonkers their is a rule in place which goes against everything the science shows.

Thought I'd bring this post from @Melon Donkey into here. Glad someone else posted it, I feel like Mr Angry at the moment over so many things!

My conclusion.

What I don't get is why there have been no fines, no commentator has mentioned it, in fact, I can't see many bothered at all.

Spent the whole time since the fans return to football seething.

They agreed to the terms but are too ignorant, stupid, or selfish, to follow the rules. Makes me furious.

I get the people not being in their correct seats- that should have been better policed. It certainly was at Wembley on Saturday. But I still find it utterly bonkers their is a rule in place which goes against everything the science shows.

But they agree to the rules when they take the tickets, not that I'm Mr Rule Follower, but with Covid, I have and think those who can't be arsed are just selfish twats. Fine, I get that outdoors there is less chance, etc, but as said, they had a choice, go, follow the code of conduct, or don't go.

It is the level of slackness and lack of punishment, along with the feckless government, that has cost lives, you would surely agree being in the health field... well, not a field, but you get my drift!

But they agree to the rules when they take the tickets, not that I'm Mr Rule Follower, but with Covid, I have and think those who can't be arsed are just selfish twats. Fine, I get that outdoors there is less chance, etc, but as said, they had a choice, go, follow the code of conduct, or don't go.

It is the level of slackness and lack of punishment, along with the feckless government, that has cost lives, you would surely agree being in the health field... well, not a field, but you get my drift!

I agree, I'm someone who also follows the rules and regulations that are set and there has been too many people not following rules BUT for me their still has to be a degree of logic behind the decisions being made. I'm not sure their is the logic there with this decision regarding masks when you are outdoors in your supposed 'bubble'. It feels like it is just there for the sake of it. I just struggle to understand why I and so many others have been allowed to sit with that same bubble outdoor a pub/restaurant since April 12th and inside the pub/restaurant since May 17th without a mask when I'm seated, but then when I'm at a football stadium, in the open air, in my bubble again with social distancing, I struggle to see the logic. Make it make sense, that's all I'm asking for. I'll follow any rules but I want to understand why I'm doing it.

but then when I'm at a football stadium, in the open air, in my bubble again with social distancing, I struggle to see the logic.

From my position in the HL on Sunday.
There wasn't social distancing across the board and bubbles were mixing . So there was logic in it but maybe the club/authorities were pre-empting the fact that rather predictably the rules would be ignored.

Can't speak for other areas of the ground tbh.

From my position in the HL on Sunday.
There wasn't social distancing across the board and bubbles were mixing . So there was logic in it but maybe the club/authorities were pre-empting the fact that rather predictably the rules would be ignored.

Can't speak for other areas of the ground tbh.

The paradox being as well is that when everyone left the ground those wearing masks took them off and mingled with 1000's of others without any social distancing whatsoever.

I agree, I'm someone who also follows the rules and regulations that are set and there has been too many people not following rules BUT for me their still has to be a degree of logic behind the decisions being made. I'm not sure their is the logic there with this decision regarding masks when you are outdoors in your supposed 'bubble'. It feels like it is just there for the sake of it. I just struggle to understand why I and so many others have been allowed to sit with that same bubble outdoor a pub/restaurant since April 12th and inside the pub/restaurant since May 17th without a mask when I'm seated, but then when I'm at a football stadium, in the open air, in my bubble again with social distancing, I struggle to see the logic. Make it make sense, that's all I'm asking for. I'll follow any rules but I want to understand why I'm doing it.

I agree re the lack of logic, but then I look at the buffoons who run the country. But also, to be fair, I'd rather erring on the side of caution (do masks, work, do masks not work? I'd rather wear them until clear proof on the latter, not like we did for so long, not have them at all and guessing)

Think my main point is you buy your ticket with conditions. Follow those conditions, or don't buy the ticket. Just like we buy tickets knowing we aren't allowed to take beer to our seats. I don't like it, I don't see the logic, I see other sports allowing it, but I don't break the rule because there are penalties. That wouldn't cost lives, this does cost lives (the virus not necessarily this rule) but there seem to have been no sanctions at all.

Looking on via TV there seemed to be people congregating together in the Holte End whereas there weren't any people in the half of the lower North. Next to none in the lower trinity. Was this down to the club or peoples weird obsession with standing behind a goal?

Looking on via TV there seemed to be people congregating together in the Holte End whereas there weren't any people in the half of the lower North. Next to none in the lower trinity. Was this down to the club or peoples weird obsession with standing behind a goal?

Yup exactly that. No other stands had people standing up. And that is exactly why the HE looked as it did. If you sit down you stay where you are. Standing up you shuffle ,move a bit , jump about for the goals or action thus you move from your allocated spot . I'd be happy sitting but when you arrive and it's everyone standing what can you do. And the stewards can't sort it.
Looks like the Holte upper were all sitting.