Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 170 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

Not sure persuading will come into it next season.
I can see a second wave of covid and no one being allowed
into grounds this side of Christmas, and when they are the numbers of tickets available will be very small.
S/T holders only.
That's likely too. Would you have to pass a fitness test to get a season ticket though? I can imagine a fair few elderly and immuno compromised people with season tickets. With no alternative they could just go f$£k it, I'll take the risk.

That's likely too. Would you have to pass a fitness test to get a season ticket though? I can imagine a fair few elderly and immuno compromised people with season tickets. With no alternative they could just go f$£k it, I'll take the risk.
Interesting that, would you get a situation where, say , over 60s not allowed to have a season ticket, people who have had a heart attack etc.
Would you have to sign a disclaimer.
Whole new world.
Vaccinated people only with a certificate.

There's been a big outcry (rightly) every time age discrimination has been proposed, last being Boris/Cummings idea that everybody over 50 would have a personal risk score which would determine what they were "allowed" to do, if there's a second wave. Can't see age being used seriously to determine who can attend matches.

If you take out every other row and every other seat in a row you should have reasonable distancing. So a ground would be limited to 1/4 full. VP would be around 11000 capacity. Going to get complicated.

Maybe they should televise all matches and a ST gives you access to all your club's matches online. As a bonus gives you access to say 4 home games IF the rules allow crowds in.

Maybe they should televise all matches and a ST gives you access to all your club's matches online. As a bonus gives you access to say 4 home games IF the rules allow crowds in.

I think that's exactly how it should be. All clubs will make a loss this year due to reduced gates, so they should be allowed to recoup that by selling virtual tickets on the club site/season tickets.

Hope we have a no commentary option though

Not sure it is discrimination if the stats clearly show x% more die over a certain age. We drift towards the off topic thread if we go too far in this, but relating to going to games, again, is it discrimination if under 1% of under 30's die and say 20% of over 70's and so on? (Just an illustration, don't have the latest figures)

The thing that would piss me off, as I am sure I've had it, is if the anti-gen tests don't appear at some point (as promised by the hapless fool of a health minister months back) so that those who have had, can go (to games and about their business in general) until/unless it becomes fact that you can then re-catch it.

I don't see how you can social distance from people who will have to walk right by you to get to their seats though, and concourses would have to be closed, goodness knows re toilets, the queues outside and so on.

Be far more sensible, albeit this is a nightmare (!), that games were made available to watch on tv and yes, unfortunately - much like when you go to a game - it does mean you'd have to pay. Not really any such thing as a free lunch in life is there?!

I think that's exactly how it should be. All clubs will make a loss this year due to reduced gates, so they should be allowed to recoup that by selling virtual tickets on the club site/season tickets.

Hope we have a no commentary option though

Clubs couldn't do it, it would have to be the ones who have the deals, Sky, BT, Amazon

There's been a big outcry (rightly) every time age discrimination has been proposed, last being Boris/Cummings idea that everybody over 50 would have a personal risk score which would determine what they were "allowed" to do, if there's a second wave. Can't see age being used seriously to determine who can attend matches.

If you take out every other row and every other seat in a row you should have reasonable distancing. So a ground would be limited to 1/4 full. VP would be around 11000 capacity. Going to get complicated.

I think JP Healy came up with that virtual season ticket idea a while back McParland, and I think it has some merit, and I am really surprised that someone at the clubs or the Premier League hasnt had a look into the viability of doing it.
I think it would have a decent take up if pitched at the right price.

Not sure it is discrimination if the stats clearly show x% more die over a certain age. We drift towards the off topic thread if we go too far in this, but relating to going to games, again, is it discrimination if under 1% of under 30's die and say 20% of over 70's and so on? (Just an illustration, don't have the latest figures)

Be far more sensible, albeit this is a nightmare (!), that games were made available to watch on tv and yes, unfortunately - much like when you go to a game - it does mean you'd have to pay. Not really any such thing as a free lunch in life is there?!

Its like the fiasco in Ireland of being to have 10 people (who don't live with each other) get together at a restaurant and another 10 people all doing the same thing. Yet Cinema's cant open at say 20% capacity. What I can understand is slowly seeing what might be causing spread and what isnt but logic would tell where issues might be had.

Im lucky I'll be able to see every game but surely no matter what choice is taken they have to make all games available for a small additional fee. No doubt they'll try scalp people though or give them such a limited choice it'll turn out you have to buy the most expensive package.

I think 20-25% capacity and no away fans is reasonable. You're out in the elements, you can wear a mask and stewards should govern it properly. It seems doable but I dont know how you manage where people come from and thats probably one of the bigger problems. I think everyone should have to have the contact tracing app too although I think if you want to do anything you have a responsibility to have it too.

I think JP Healy came up with that virtual season ticket idea a while back McParland, and I think it has some merit, and I am really surprised that someone at the clubs or the Premier League hasnt had a look into the viability of doing it.
I think it would have a decent take up if pitched at the right price.

Problem is a whole load of people would be watching on one card

[QUOTE="CDX_EIRE, post: 2412240, member: 2920"erly. It seems doable but I dont know how you manage where people come from and thats probably one of the bigger problems. I think everyone should have to have the contact tracing app too although I think if you want to do anything you have a responsibility to have it too.[/QUOTE]

That is a big problem, I'd limit it to 5 miles from Villa Park:throw:

Seriously you can't have people travelling from London to Manchester to watch Utd, if you ban away fans

Does that include the 3pm kick off games though? Sky at al don't have rights to those

no, it is as you rightly point out, against PL rules. Something would need to be changed. But clubs don't have the right to show games, again, unless rules are changed. Can't see the big tv companies wanting it, and clubs can't survive without the big tv money

Shouldn't be beyond them to televise it all really should it?

Its like the fiasco in Ireland of being to have 10 people (who don't live with each other) get together at a restaurant and another 10 people all doing the same thing. Yet Cinema's cant open at say 20% capacity. What I can understand is slowly seeing what might be causing spread and what isnt but logic would tell where issues might be had.

Im lucky I'll be able to see every game but surely no matter what choice is taken they have to make all games available for a small additional fee. No doubt they'll try scalp people though or give them such a limited choice it'll turn out you have to buy the most expensive package.

I think 20-25% capacity and no away fans is reasonable. You're out in the elements, you can wear a mask and stewards should govern it properly. It seems doable but I dont know how you manage where people come from and thats probably one of the bigger problems. I think everyone should have to have the contact tracing app too although I think if you want to do anything you have a responsibility to have it too.

Trouble is, fans can't be controlled at the best of times, and these aren't the best of times. And it would be tough for stewards to be governing social distancing really, they would need far more and if they had more, there is the full circle problem of them all social distancing.

You only have to look how idiots have behaved since lockdown, including some pathetic players, to see the problem.

Not really sure how this will happen if I’m honest.
What about a local lockdown at any point in the season. Hardly going to be a level playing field if anyone has to shut the doors midway through the season while the rest of the league plays with their fans present at home games .

Shouldn't be beyond them to televise it all really should it?

Surely that is the only safe way to do it.

Edit: Thinking more on it, I'm surprised Sky aren't all over this. I'm sure 15 years ago it would have been their dream to televise every match. The 3pm kick off rule was put in place, presumably not by Sky, to ensure fans still attended, which they can no longer do if they wanted to.

Once it has happened it will be very hard to go back to old ways, even if Covid disappears. Sky will know this, so it is certainly their moment to strike.

It'd be a shame when it happens, as I do think crowds will be diminished. The only positive I can think of is that tickets might just become a fair bit cheaper once we are allowed full capacity again.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="CDX_EIRE, post: 2412240, member: 2920"erly. It seems doable but I dont know how you manage where people come from and thats probably one of the bigger problems. I think everyone should have to have the contact tracing app too although I think if you want to do anything you have a responsibility to have it too.

Seriously you can't have people travelling from London to Manchester to watch Utd, if you ban away fans[/QUOTE]
You can have em coming from Cornwall to Brum though.

[QUOTE="CDX_EIRE, post: 2412240, member: 2920"erly. It seems doable but I dont know how you manage where people come from and thats probably one of the bigger problems. I think everyone should have to have the contact tracing app too although I think if you want to do anything you have a responsibility to have it too.

Seriously you can't have people travelling from London to Manchester to watch Utd, if you ban away fans[/QUOTE]
I just checked AA Route finder and it says Smethwick to Villa Park is 5.1 miles.
Be careful what you wish for.:lol: