Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 140 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

The decision was taken at a board meeting on Monday after the 12 clubs agreed at the end of last week that completing the campaign was unfeasible.

Average points per game played has been used to determine final placings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52646282

And surely as a smaller league, that would have been easier to control than the PL or Championship, L1, L2

But if they use that method, I suspect so would 'we' and that is probably why they say Christian Purslow is keen to see the season finished.

To me, it still doesn't look great safety wise, despite a clear self interest in seeing football back. But then, so much of a hash in this country, so much confusion and so many not following the rules, that anything could happen.

Looks like if it doesn't resume, we are down. If it does, at least we have the fighting chance (but.....!)

Meh. Whatever.

Yep it is the way I read it. Play and have a chance to stay up, dont play and get stitched up. I do wonder if a Manchester Utd was in our position whether they would consider relegating them in a points per game debacle?

Yep it is the way I read it. Play and have a chance to stay up, dont play and get stitched up. I do wonder if a Manchester Utd was in our position whether they would consider relegating them in a points per game debacle?

They only fair way id to void it but if we have to play we should play Shef it'd first then all teams have played the sam number of games otherwise we will always have a useless game in hand worth less than a point

I should say, I caught something that some turned up after the Celtic announcement, thinking it would only be time before the PL followed suit.

In fairness I should've caveated the post and stated I hadn't yet seen photos out of fairness.

But trophy presentations anywhere without the season being completed OR mathematical guarantee point reached is pathetic.

I've watched plenty of foreign games if there's been a couple of decent teams playing. Bundesliga games have been on Setanta/ESPN & BT for years now.
Didnt you ever watch Football Italia back in the day?

Yeah man of course I watched Football Italia. But that was a different time mate. Sky hadn't properly kicked in, still a bit of novelty about football on tv unlike the saturated product now. Gazza , who is my top non villa player of all time was over there, so was Platty . Different times completely .
Used to watch it loads in my bedroom as a teenager. I spent alot of time in my bedroom as a teenager :wub:

So Troy Deeney is refusing to restart.

Nothing tactical there then. If the season is ended and they finish as it stands then Watford stay up. If it restarts they could very possibly go down. It’s not in their interest to play on. I would imagine there will be a few like this, West Ham the same.

Refusing to start but also refusing to take any pay cut I assume?

Newsnight covered this debate last night, Simon Jordon mentioned what I have mentioned, it is difficult to see how they can have it both ways. Some say it doesn't matter how much they earn, but it does, I don't blame them taking it, this isn't jealousy, but if they aren't working but want full pay, at that massive rate, it will send clubs bust or give them massive problems, surely?!

If it is deemed safe to play and he refuses to do so then surely he’s in breach of his contract?

I know someone who has been sacked for refusing to work in what he see's as an unsafe environment, he's been with the company less than 12 months so hasn't got a leg to stand on.

So Troy Deeney is refusing to restart.

Nothing tactical there then. If the season is ended and they finish as it stands then Watford stay up. If it restarts they could very possibly go down. It’s not in their interest to play on. I would imagine there will be a few like this, West Ham the same.
Eventually I think you will see 17 clubs turn on the bottom 3 if games can't restart and they'll go down the PPG voting route

Looking at it from another angle maybe Deeney is living with someone vulnerable or has an underlying condition.

I know Dean Smith said 2 of our players wouldn't be able to play , one has asthma and the other has got an elderly relative living with them so there maybe a good reason for Deeney not to go back.

Eventually I think you will see 17 clubs turn on the bottom 3 if games can't restart and they'll go down the PPG voting route

Indeed. It makes no sense to finish for anyone if they are already indicating they finish where they are. The only clubs who would want to resume would be be us and Bournemouth for the fighting chance.

It’s turned full circle with the dismissal of the voiding of the season. I just cannot for the life of me understand the logic of PPG and finishing as it stands. It’s not finished and it’ll turn very messy.

Indeed. It makes no sense to finish for anyone if they are already indicating they finish where they are. The only clubs who would want to resume would be be us and Bournemouth for the fighting chance.

It’s turned full circle with the dismissal of the voiding of the season. I just cannot for the life of me understand the logic of PPG and finishing as it stands. It’s not finished and it’ll turn very messy.
" I cannot understand for the life of me..." its simple. Those that have, wish to keep from those who may have not. Simple. Self preservation in the name of sport.

Looking at it from another angle maybe Deeney is living with someone vulnerable or has an underlying condition.

I know Dean Smith said 2 of our players wouldn't be able to play , one has asthma and the other has got an elderly relative living with them so there maybe a good reason for Deeney not to go back.

Yes. To be fair. I believe it is his son who is only 5 months old and has had breathing difficulties.
But there are thousands and thousands of people in risky jobs in terms of exposure to the virus who will have relatives with conditions that are a worry in terms of the virus. Like everyone of us this situation has already and will turn into a calculated risk having to minimise that risk as much as possible balanced with living your life as 'normally ' as possible. There is no vaccine, there may not be. Therefore there are no answers that will absolutely guarantee his safety. There isn't for all of us because of the indiscriminate nature of this virus. There are no answers for him unless you housebound yourself potentially forever.

And it is still Troy Deeney though!. Lol.

Last edited:
There'll be some strange anomalies if they go down the Weighted PPG route. As Martin Samuel,(him again) pointed out, that under this system, our game against Liverpool would be 3 points to them because they've won all their home games. Based on our away form we would receive a notional 0.53 points. So in a game which, in reality, we would have got zero points, under this system we get 0.53.
Swings and roundabouts suggest we would also lose out in some situations but can someone from a statistical background please explain how this guesswork produces a credible outcome with all of the possible variables and rogue upsets involved.

Refusing to start but also refusing to take any pay cut I assume?

Newsnight covered this debate last night, Simon Jordon mentioned what I have mentioned, it is difficult to see how they can have it both ways. Some say it doesn't matter how much they earn, but it does, I don't blame them taking it, this isn't jealousy, but if they aren't working but want full pay, at that massive rate, it will send clubs bust or give them massive problems, surely?!

To be fair to Deeney, he said he couldnt care less about the money, they can fine him as much as they want. He wont be the only one who refuses to return