Football During Coronavirus Crisis | Page 141 | Vital Football

Football During Coronavirus Crisis

To be fair to Deeney, he said he couldnt care less about the money, they can fine him as much as they want. He wont be the only one who refuses to return

Fair enough, and if the comment above re a 5 year old son with breathing difficulties. Think my comment was a general one, the likes of Rose and Sterling I believe (I don't read much in the papers, only what is linked in here, had enough of them!) are saying they don't want to play. Fine, don't. But don't then take the full wage as well, to me they are biting the hand that feeds.

There'll be some strange anomalies if they go down the Weighted PPG route. As Martin Samuel,(him again) pointed out, that under this system, our game against Liverpool would be 3 points to them because they've won all their home games. Based on our away form we would receive a notional 0.53 points. So in a game which, in reality, we would have got zero points, under this system we get 0.53.
Swings and roundabouts suggest we would also lose out in some situations but can someone from a statistical background please explain how this guesswork produces a credible outcome with all of the possible variables and rogue upsets involved.
Professor Healy calling, world renowned expert on logic. There is in my field a phrase which cuts through human self interest and greed. A F---------g load of bol----s. Donald Trump University.

Premier League: Six positive coronavirus tests across three clubs

There were six positive tests for coronavirus across three Premier League clubs on Sunday and Monday, as the top flight prepares to resume next month.
More to follow.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52726278

Coronavirus: Premier League receives six positive tests

"The Premier League has confirmed it has received six positive tests for coronavirus from three clubs after the first phase of mass testing.
A total of 748 tests have been carried out over the weekend and it is unclear whether they include players, non-playing staff or a combination of both.

Anyone who tests positive must now self-isolate for seven days and cannot attend the club training ground."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...us-premier-league-receives-six-positive-tests

So out of the 748 players and staff tested on Sunday 6 have returned positive results . The 6 come from 3 clubs and have been put on isolation for 7 days.

What the implications of those results mean I do not know.

The Premier League will probably look upon 6 positive tests out of 748 people as a positive result in itself and carry on full steam?

Last edited:
So out of the 748 players and staff tested on Sunday 6 have returned positive results . The 6 come from 3 clubs and have been put on isolation for 7 days.

What the implications of those results mean I do not know.

Nothing .
This season will be finished behind closed doors over July and August is my overwhelming feeling on this.

Project restart...aaaaahhhhhh......hhhaaaaa will come to fruition come hell or high water or 60,000 deaths.

It's spiffing for morale chaps, remember.

Yes. It will be interesting to see if the number of positive tests increase or not once the players start training again. That will be a true test of if the procedures are working.

It's spiffing for morale chaps, remember.

Despite your incredibility about it, it is. Entertainment as an industry is. The national sport is good for morale.

And on top of that, the Gov will want to deflect some attention - good luck with that - but also show signs that there will be life and indeed, entertainment, alongside or indeed (one sweet day please) after covid.

Said it before, people are bored. People want something to focus on, football is the national sport.

With that said, I am still not entirely convinced by all the plans and the efficacy of playing as things stand - my stance has always been to explore, hopefully things improve, and then yes, play. Just don't think with the way this country has dealt with it, things will/have improved enough.

And yes, the same as a lot here, my preference would be we all return as well, but we aren't - and we all know it - living in an ideal world at the moment (if ever).

Fair enough, and if the comment above re a 5 year old son with breathing difficulties. Think my comment was a general one, the likes of Rose and Sterling I believe (I don't read much in the papers, only what is linked in here, had enough of them!) are saying they don't want to play. Fine, don't. But don't then take the full wage as well, to me they are biting the hand that feeds.
Ok but I’m still puzzled by what appears to be the expectation of altruism. If we take Villa we have just extended the contract of Vassilev....the club can’t increase the wage bill and ask for pay cuts at the same time. As to Deeney you have to earn the right to be Villa‘s pantomine villain du jour! When he scored that header against us at VP I was like f**k it would be him.

Ok but I’m still puzzled by what appears to be the expectation of altruism. If we take Villa we have just extended the contract of Vassilev....the club can’t increase the wage bill and ask for pay cuts at the same time. As to Deeney you have to earn the right to be Villa‘s pantomine villain du jour! When he scored that header against us at VP I was like f**k it would be him.

No, I don't really expect it, the country is too selfish. Just my little head tries to live in an ideal world.

They could help, they won't. They could live without quite so much, but much like all the others at the top of the tree, they won't. We could all be in this together, but we never are.

Hope that is clearer! :grinning::grinning:

As for Vassilev, would it be better to lay him off then? That was the alternative, that wouldn't be productive. Get the point, but .... If they'd asked for players help and then spent £100m on a new player, then agreed.

Dunno, the industry, the top part sorry, is dumb, greedy and yet thinks it can preach to everyone else with their 'woke' or 'worthy' campaigns, but I don't see a great deal of worthiness from them.

Yes. It will be interesting to see if the number of positive tests increase or not once the players start training again. That will be a true test of if the procedures are working.

I'm trying to get my head around training in small groups how do you practice football without contact and if they aren't kicking a ball why bother training may just as well run around the park a few times

Despite your incredibility about it, it is. Entertainment as an industry is. The national sport is good for morale.

And on top of that, the Gov will want to deflect some attention - good luck with that - but also show signs that there will be life and indeed, entertainment, alongside or indeed (one sweet day please) after covid.

Said it before, people are bored. People want something to focus on, football is the national sport.

With that said, I am still not entirely convinced by all the plans and the efficacy of playing as things stand - my stance has always been to explore, hopefully things improve, and then yes, play. Just don't think with the way this country has dealt with it, things will/have improved enough.

And yes, the same as a lot here, my preference would be we all return as well, but we aren't - and we all know it - living in an ideal world at the moment (if ever).

I think I have posted before. Well actually...I'm not sure I did .:lol:

If those villa fans who do not want it back are open and honest about it part of the reason why not is because villa are in a relegation scenario. More likely will be relegated. Not much to look forward to given what has come before this season. If we were pushing for a league, top 4, then I think feelings will be different. If we were in Sheff Utds position we would be different. Free hit , try something different, blood the youngster type territory. If we go on a winning streak things will also be different.

So there is that but I will maintain that the government are not speaking for me and many others who I have spoken to. I object to them telling me so and giving their propaganda that the 'whole country' (as I have heard one politician say) wants football back. It's simply not the case. I'd be waiting to see whether the concept works and the country is boosted by it first before making grand statements.
And yes I have definitely said this before. The government want us distracted, of course they do.
I dont think ultimately it matters that the plans and efficiency is not great. I get the sense they are determined to press ahead. I'm convinced it will start in July possibly late June. They have Germany as a precedent and even if that ultimately fails they will argue that the premier league/ England (not UK remember) are different and in a different place (when we know we are not)

Yes, totally different place to Germany and we could have been equal to them, but that takes us back to the off topic thread. Agree though.

And yes, think maybe fans near the top are chomping at the bit, those at the bottom want it null and void, but it looks like that won't be the option, so do we need to chomp slightly in the hope we can fight back, or maybe not judging by the rest of the season!

I don't really believe, if it all comes back, rightly or wrongly, that we won't all be watching, or listening, or discussing, as - as pathetic as it might well be (as pathetic as it is?) - it is in our blood and we can't help ourselves

I agree those swear words don't speak for me either so I get why that has got you angry! LOL But the theory is right, something to focus that is slightly more positive, unless you are in the bottom 3 (or 5 ish maybe)!!!!!!!!!!!

Just been looking at the PPG tables. According to that we end up with 34.98 points, in 19th. Bournemouth in 16th end up with 35.74 points. 0.76 points better. Hammers in 18th have every right to be more aggrieved; 35.56 points, only 0.18 points behind Brighton. This is plain stupid.

Re Deeney, he said a few days he'd be prepared to walk away with nothing if he could protect the health of his family by doing so.

Allegedly Jurgon Klopp has said it is unfair to void the season after 76% has been played. https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sp...-news/premier-league-null-void-villa-18275302

Do Liverpool ever score/ win a game in the last 12 minutes or even extra time? More bollocks spouted through tainted eyes and mouth. Maybe if we can't play, the PL needs an honest man with no interest in football to work this out? A high court judge or even Ian Hislop pronouncing a judgement could do better than this lot.

Just been looking at the PPG tables. According to that we end up with 34.98 points, in 19th. Bournemouth in 16th end up with 35.74 points. 0.76 points better. Hammers in 18th have every right to be more aggrieved; 35.56 points, only 0.18 points behind Brighton. This is plain stupid.

Re Deeney, he said a few days he'd be prepared to walk away with nothing if he could protect the health of his family by doing so.

I would do exactly the same too. My family are number 1.

Despite my negativity I actually said from the start that the season should be finished . So I am not trying to wriggle out of relegation by championing null and void . However, from the start I was thinking that there was scope to finish the season in the early autumn and didnt contemplate this what seems rushed effort. To be fair didn't really consider the business side of things if that is the reason for hastening things. And I now get the business side of things.

It's funny because if there was no project restart to get on the back pages I am not giving football a thought. Too much other stuff going on. I'm not in the place to get excited about the product on offer . Of course I'll watch us. I'm villa through and through . I couldn't not. But it definitely feels like a going through the motions exercise for me at this stage. It may change when it starts which I have no doubt it will.
Few wins would help. I'm a right slapper like that. Easily bought

Despite my negativity I actually said from the start that the season should be finished . So I am not trying to wriggle out of relegation by championing null and void . However, from the start I was thinking that there was scope to finish the season in the early autumn and didnt contemplate this what seems rushed effort. To be fair didn't really consider the business side of things if that is the reason for hastening things. And I now get the business side of things.

It's funny because if there was no project restart to get on the back pages I am not giving football a thought. Too much other stuff going on. I'm not in the place to get excited about the product on offer . Of course I'll watch us. I'm villa through and through . I couldn't not. But it definitely feels like a going through the motions exercise for me at this stage. It may change when it starts which I have no doubt it will.
Few wins would help. I'm a right slapper like that. Easily bought

Yes, I was the same, wanted to finish the season and thought we could delay the next season to do so. But then, over time, you start to think of the players moving on, out of contract, buying and selling and it just looks too complicated doesn't it?

Or does it!

No idea anymore really. I can see what Klopp is saying re 76% but that still isn't 100% is it!

Such a shame we aren't all on the same number of games and that Liverpool aren't mathematically impossible to catch. Might make all this easier.

Gordonsleftboot has a good idea, take the decision to someone independent. But of course, the football authorities would never want to lose control !