Fleetwood Town (H) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Fleetwood Town (H)

Just you and the haters.

To be fair Hindley, Jamie's distribution is not his best asset.

He does tend to hold on to the ball but I suspect that this is due to the fact that there have been moments recently where the ball has been released early only to see it come straight back and cause problems because the backs were not set. I mentioned it on another post that the previous week when Owen Evans deputised there were less long balls and we played out from the back more.

Hopefully with the signing of Whelan and Johnston, who were both schooled at Liverpool's academy, we will see JJ having the confidence to roll the ball out to them and we can start to build from the back.

Like you I think Jamie gets some stick on here, some deserved but most not., however I have said it before, all keepers are thick skinned, they have to be, and I doubt a few comments on a forum will affect his game. He is still the best option we have at the club and is certainly good enough for this division.

He does tend to hold on to the ball but I suspect that this is due to the fact that there have been moments recently where the ball has been released early only to see it come straight back and cause problems because the backs were not set. I mentioned it on another post that the previous week when Owen Evans deputised there were less long balls and we played out from the back more.

Hopefully with the signing of Whelan and Johnston, who were both schooled at Liverpool's academy, we will see JJ having the confidence to roll the ball out to them and we can start to build from the back.

Like you I think Jamie gets some stick on here, some deserved but most not., however I have said it before, all keepers are thick skinned, they have to be, and I doubt a few comments on a forum will affect his game. He is still the best option we have at the club and is certainly good enough for this division.

Its only a few weeks ago he was getting pelters for releasing the ball early and putting us immediately under pressure. It's anything TB if he played out of his skin he'd get bollocked for having dirty shorts or summat.

Hi TB, I totally agree with your last paragraph and I also JJ being one of the last few senior players left at the club - he can help the younger lads. I also think he is good enough for this division, however I can't help think that on the odd occasion that if he got it straight to our quicker players whilst the opposition are tracking back from a set piece, goal kick etc., we may create chances. We've been blessed with quick players in the past (Yanic, Macca and others spring to mind) and when we've played to their strengths - it's helped more often than not.

I wonder if the holding onto the ball is more of an instruction from LR/GR?

Hi TB, I totally agree with your last paragraph and I also JJ being one of the last few senior players left at the club - he can help the younger lads. I also think he is good enough for this division, however I can't help think that on the odd occasion that if he got it straight to our quicker players whilst the opposition are tracking back from a set piece, goal kick etc., we may create chances. We've been blessed with quick players in the past (Yanic, Macca and others spring to mind) and when we've played to their strengths - it's helped more often than not.

I wonder if the holding onto the ball is more of an instruction from LR/GR?

I think its more like Hindley says, that a few weeks ago there were a couple of incidents were the ball was played out quickly and cost us and JJ got the stick for it.

As I said, with the two new CB's whose pedigree is from a club were playing the ball out from the back is the norm I expect things will change.

I am more concerned, to be honest, with the time it takes for us to take a throw in.

Its only a few weeks ago he was getting pelters for releasing the ball early and putting us immediately under pressure. It's anything TB if he played out of his skin he'd get bollocked for having dirty shorts or summat.

Hi Hindley, Wasn't aware of the comments from a while back. We've only had Lang back a couple of weeks now and Joseph seems to be growing in confidence and game time - having been a pacey winger/attacking forward myself back in the day - I would enjoy the early ball into space to run on to (catch the opposition out) and create a chance or 2.

I personally think JJ has some good qualities to his game and I am not slating him for a second - his loyalty to the club is without question (medal auction springs to mind!) and I hope as the Senior keeper at the club he can mentor Evans in order to help his development.

Hi Hindley, Wasn't aware of the comments from a while back. We've only had Lang back a couple of weeks now and Joseph seems to be growing in confidence and game time - having been a pacey winger/attacking forward myself back in the day - I would enjoy the early ball into space to run on to (catch the opposition out) and create a chance or 2.

I personally think JJ has some good qualities to his game and I am not slating him for a second - his loyalty to the club is without question (medal auction springs to mind!) and I hope as the Senior keeper at the club he can mentor Evans in order to help his development.

I know, we all want the same thing mate.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Tom Pearce was trying to score a farewell worldy before he signs off and moves to pastures new, or was that just my paranoia doing overtime.

The latter...always gives 100%. Ridiculous to even think about letting him go....especially on loan!

Agree with this which was always a headscratcher when managers brought Yanic back for corners (as he could neither head or tackle😉) rather leave him on the h/w line.

Its bound to be. Almost all the ground staff have been laid off. The pitch lights don't get used any more and the weather has been awful. There are other pitches in the country in a bad state even with a full quota of ground staff.

Rode past the stadium yesterday and noticed that the pitch lights were being used near the south stand so maybe somebody's paid the lekky bill.

Agree with this which was always a headscratcher when managers brought Yanic back for corners (as he could neither head or tackle😉) rather leave him on the h/w line.

Didn't Cook once say when questioned, that he didn't like leaving a player near the half way line for opposition corners??

It may have even been in relation to Cal Mac - obviously I'm no football manager - but I thought it was a good idea at the time!

Didn't Cook once say when questioned, that he didn't like leaving a player near the half way line for opposition corners??

It may have even been in relation to Cal Mac - obviously I'm no football manager - but I thought it was a good idea at the time!

If i remember correctly Cook said they crunched the numbers and generally the stats show you concede less goals from corners with more men defending the even if it allows them to have more attacking than it does when you leave men up and they attack with less. He also said the idea with bringing everyone back was the opposite leave more space to attack on the counter.

I think ultimately it's one of those tactics that is validated if you successful defend most corners or gets slated if you concede regularly from them.

If i remember correctly Cook said they crunched the numbers and generally the stats show you concede less goals from corners with more men defending the even if it allows them to have more attacking than it does when you leave men up and they attack with less. He also said the idea with bringing everyone back was the opposite leave more space to attack on the counter.

I think ultimately it's one of those tactics that is validated if you successful defend most corners or gets slated if you concede regularly from them.
I would have risked it - given how fond Cook was of a big boot downfield back in day with someone as rapid as Yanic it would have been "entertaining" at least having said that did Yanic play under Cook - memories goin 😳