Fleetwood Town (H) | Page 4 | Vital Football

Fleetwood Town (H)

We've created some good chances and got into threatening areas today.All that was lacking was the composure in the end product,which is why Keane was a miss.

I don't want to be too harsh on Clough,but he should've buried that golden chance.Maybe because he hasn't played and scored for so long,he lacked that composure.It looked like he almost got too excited when the ball came back to him,resulting in him snatching his shot just wide.Hopefully that calmness in front of goal will come as he gets minutes under his belt and obviously a goal or 2.He's shown in the past he has natural talent,so hopefully he can revitalise his career here.

A massive positive is the clean sheet and the encouraging performances of the 2 new centre backs Johnston and Whelan. Both looked solid, aggressive and good on the ball.Thought Merrie was excellent again today,but another great effort from all the lads and every point is vital as it's tight in the bottom third of the division.

Obviously with the bad weather this past week and with the lack of staff,equipment,materials and maintenance,the pitch has continued to deteriorate.We like to try and play football and attack with pace,so it's a concern.If Pollard hasn't paid his rent,then he should be made to,as some of that money needs to be spent on the pitch.Or the greedy administrators could always pay for it with their astronomical 2m fees,but we all know that won't happen!
Anyway,we go again Tuesday and continue the fight!

I think Zach will need time..I don't mind admitting I thought Will Keane wouldn't make a player as long as he had a hole in his arse and look at him now ripping it up. I love being wrong about a player so Zach may prove a good bit of business given time to bed in.

I think with fitness, Clough will improve just as Gardner and Keane have. You can’t underestimate how injures/lack of playing time can affect a player’s performances.

New owners and the return of Evans, Massey and potentially Solomon-Otabor would certainly give a fighting chance.

I thought Ostabors deal has expired but he is still out injured - does anyone know if have we used up his squad space with another player or have we kept his space open so he is eligible to re-sign and play once fit?

I've seen the highlights and unfortunately Clough missing a sitter like that is a result of him quite simply not playing enough football. If he gets a chance like that in five games time, he'll bury it.

Apparently Darikwa was the best player on the pitch. No surprise, with his pedigree in this division we are lucky to have him with us. Need to keep him fit! Also, if we can't shift Evans before the transfer deadline then my god he has to play. Having said that, I firmly believe we aren't playing him for financial reasons whether it be an appearance clause in his contract or something along those lines. The injury excuse doesn't wash anymore.

Still don't see us staying up, that Rochdale draw was a killer, I don't care who we've got on the pitch, you can't blow a lead TWICE against 10 men vs a relegation rival, that's totally unacceptable and probably the key result that we will look back on with regret come May. Credit to the kids though for continuing to give it a good crack, draws aren't enough at this point though.

I've seen the highlights and unfortunately Clough missing a sitter like that is a result of him quite simply not playing enough football. If he gets a chance like that in five games time, he'll bury it.

Apparently Darikwa was the best player on the pitch. No surprise, with his pedigree in this division we are lucky to have him with us. Need to keep him fit! Also, if we can't shift Evans before the transfer deadline then my god he has to play. Having said that, I firmly believe we aren't playing him for financial reasons whether it be an appearance clause in his contract or something along those lines. The injury excuse doesn't wash anymore.

Still don't see us staying up, that Rochdale draw was a killer, I don't care who we've got on the pitch, you can't blow a lead TWICE against 10 men vs a relegation rival, that's totally unacceptable and probably the key result that we will look back on with regret come May. Credit to the kids though for continuing to give it a good crack, draws aren't enough at this point though.

Hang on, we're not even half way through yet and we've just signed three defenders all of whom played well today.

I thought Ostabors deal has expired but he is still out injured - does anyone know if have we used up his squad space with another player or have we kept his space open so he is eligible to re-sign and play once fit?

Yes Otobar is still injured and we have used up his squad place.
But I'm sure Paul Kendrick said last week that on the 1st of Feb some of the U23s who are classed as 1st teamers revert back to u23s if they haven't played a certain amount of games. Freeing up 1st team space.
So if Otobar is fit and still wanted then we can re sign him.
Also didn't the admins say they've asked the efl for permission to have a bigger squad due to covid and fixture congestion?

Yes Otobar is still injured and we have used up his squad place.
But I'm sure Paul Kendrick said last week that on the 1st of Feb some of the U23s who are classed as 1st teamers revert back to u23s if they haven't played a certain amount of games. Freeing up 1st team space.
So if Otobar is fit and still wanted then we can re sign him.
Also didn't the admins say they've asked the efl for permission to have a bigger squad due to covid and fixture congestion?

With that in mind I think we probably have 21 players who will count as first team in Feb although from the below list Jolley and Robinson may also revert back to U23s.

Jones
Evans

Johnston
Whelan
Pearce
Darikwa
Long
Obi
Robinson

Evans
Merrie
Perrie
Massey
Assgaard
Gardener
Crankshaw

Lang
Clough
Joseph
Keane
Jolley

Considering the behind the scenes troubles, lack of experienced players, chopping and changing of players on short term contracts, long term injuries etc we have not done too badly to be only 1 point from safety at this stage.
Even the better teams make mistakes and give away leads, even experienced PL players have missed chances like Clough did yesterday (and that's without being out for so long) so not all doom and gloom. It will be tight yes but if we can keep this group of players together with maybe adding a couple more out of contract players to cover for the inevitable injuries with so many games each week, we should just about stay up this year.
That's if we survive as a club and don't get the 15 point reduction of course !!

I thought the minutes' silence and large screen photos of the fans we have lost was very humbling.
So many people, God rest their souls, rest in peace and many heartfelt commiserations go out to all out there who have been affected.

One of my loved ones on there, plus a good few faces that I recognise. So sad. R.I.P fellow Tics. Gone but never forgotten.

I think what PK said Yon Mon was that in the case of junior players who have not played first-team yet (ie Sean McGurk) then they will count as squad members if they play this month. However, if we're into February and they still haven’t played, then they would be able to play after that and wouldn’t count.

Unfortunately, once a player counts, they cannot then ‘not count’, ...... hence Joe Piggott and Patrick Webber will always count and had to be moved on.

At least, that's the way I think it works.

Frustrating afternoon, we were by far the better side in the first half but lost a little momentum in the second.

The miss by Clough is indicative of a player that has struggled for games in the last two seasons, however his overall play wasn't bad. On on or two occasions he put some very inciteful balls into the box for both Lang and Joseph. I think with a little bit of time he could be a decent addition.

Talking of additions both Whelan and Johnston had impressive debuts and with Darikwa and Pearce at full back we look quite solid. Hopefully we won't be leaking late goals in the future to lose the points. Pearce looked a little off his game in the second half and wasn't getting forward as much as usual, whether this was due to the opposition sussing us out, who knows. One thing I would criticise Pearce for is the time he takes on throw ins. He seems to just amble over for the ball allowing the opposition to get their markers in place and close us down.

Jamie Jones was secure and looked more confident behind the back four, however I do wish he would look to play the short ball more often to stop the ball coming straight back at us. Didn't have much to do but what he did he did well.

Kyle Joseph and Lang both worked their socks off but struggled against Mulgrew and Connolly. Personally, I think we missed the control and guile of Will Keane to open the door. Lang had a decent chance after the far post cross from Gardiner but the keeper made a decent block, he also made a good save from Callum in the first half from a good near post strike.

Merrie continues to impress me and Alex Perry is looking more composed alongside him.

All in all some positives to take into the Blackpool game, least of all the clean sheet.

Hopefully Will Keane is available soon ( and I wish him a speedy recovery) to push for the forward positions and with a little luck we can get back on the goalscoring trail again whilst keeping the back door firmly shut.

I beg to differ - I believe we will stay up and ffs I’ll say it again - they are not kids !

Did anyone else get the feeling that Tom Pearce was trying to score a farewell worldy before he signs off and moves to pastures new, or was that just my paranoia doing overtime.

Sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but how long does Jamie Jones hold on to the ball for?! He always seems to let his area clear then distribute the ball - surely with the pace of lang and joesph we should be trying to set them off early doors, before the opposition reset and get back or is that just me???

Sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but how long does Jamie Jones hold on to the ball for?! He always seems to let his area clear then distribute the ball - surely with the pace of lang and joesph we should be trying to set them off early doors, before the opposition
Sorry if this has been mentioned and I missed it, but how long does Jamie Jones hold on to the ball for?! He always seems to let his area clear then distribute the ball - surely with the pace of lang and joesph we should be trying to set them off early doors, before the opposition reset and get back or is that just me???
His distribution is not the best

Just you and the haters.