Favourite ever player ( not just the best ever) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Favourite ever player ( not just the best ever)

Very tough, especially having watched us in what feels like multiple different eras. But one player has always stood out for his play, his leadership, his bravery, his conduct on and off the pitch in a Wigan shirt. Arjan De Zeeuw.

Most of my favourites have been mentioned on here, Al Habsi, Liddell, Lowe, Jones, Martinez, Boyce, McCulloch. In terms of the post Premier League era which now spans ten years (where has the time gone!), my favourite player was and remains Sam Morsy, who shares so many of De Zeeuw's traits on and off the pitch. I said he'd play in the Premier League one day and I hope Ipswich make it.

Like everyone, loved many, many players over the years, right from Tommy Gore, through to the likes of Nick Powell. My all time favourite though, is the one and only Tony Kelly, always believed he should have played for England him, could put a pass on a sixpence
If he’d liked training as much as he liked lager, he probably would have done an all !….Should certainly have featured in the old First Division at some point.

Yes, as you read, I agreed with your football comment.
You also said "real gent"

He was my hero.
I can only speak as I find (or in this case found RIP Harry)
Me being a young lad and him a popular goal scoring centre forward the fact that he was prepared to spend time talking with me affords him the aforementioned "real gent" description. Gossip and heresay not my bag.

Me being a young lad and him a popular goal scoring centre forward the fact that he was prepared to spend time talking with me affords him the aforementioned "real gent" description. Gossip and heresay not my bag.
You would need to sit on twitter and turn all lefty where gossip and hearsay are king.

No, not my bag either.

Totally accept and it was not my intention to besmirch his reputation as a football hero, as I said.

Gossip, no it came from his progeny, just after I said said how much of a hero he was to me.

DeZeeuw is the obvious one.

Reece James for me was the most talented (even at the time without any foresight of what he'd go on to to) and i loved his attitude even though he was only a loan.

I really liked Jason Roberts but that seemed to go a bit sour in the final few months unfortunately over a contract dispute between him and the club.

McArthur was another i really appreciated he was a real unsung hero and i think people rated him but didn't appreciate quite how good he really was.
De Zeuww for me by a margin

I have to say that I like understated steady defenders.

I always thought Nicky Eden was our version of Alex Ferguson's Dennis Irwin, Arjan de Zeeuw was everything I thought a defender should be, but my biggest soft spot is reserved for Titus Bramble, I loved the way he would clean players out with mistimed tackles and he was always a bit of a cartoon character which masked the fact despite his regular bloopers, he was a bloody good defender.

Bramble lacked awareness which meant he was a reactive defender. Always part of teams that lost heavily which says it all