Favourite ever player ( not just the best ever) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Favourite ever player ( not just the best ever)

Based on an accusation made against me on here by someone, I am a "happy clapper" in love with Josh Magennis, so I will say Josh is my favourite to piss the accuser off even more.

I have to say that I like understated steady defenders.

I always thought Nicky Eden was our version of Alex Ferguson's Dennis Irwin, Arjan de Zeeuw was everything I thought a defender should be, but my biggest soft spot is reserved for Titus Bramble, I loved the way he would clean players out with mistimed tackles and he was always a bit of a cartoon character which masked the fact despite his regular bloopers, he was a bloody good defender.

Last edited:
Probably Sir Andy Liddell. Signed not long after I'd started going to Springy. Some of the football we played with him, Barlow and Haworth up front was out of this world.

His goals, his jinking runs, those penners
One thing I liked about Andy Liddell was the way that at throw ins, with his back to goal, he would let the ball go past him then let fly with a goal bound shot, catching the defenders out. Can't understand why more players don't try it.

One thing I liked about Andy Liddell was the way that at throw ins, with his back to goal, he would let the ball go past him then let fly with a goal bound shot, catching the defenders out. Can't understand why more players don't try it.
A McCulloch speciality too.

I have to say that I like understated steady defenders.

I always thought Nicky Eden was our version of Alex Ferguson's Dennis Irwin, Arjan de Zeeuw was everything I thought a defender should be, but my biggest soft spot is reserved for Titus Bramble, I loved the way he would clean players out with mistimed tackles and he was always a bit of a cartoon character which masked the fact despite his regular bloopers, he was a bloody good defender.

and
Always had a soft spot for Nicky Eden. Great memories of the ball going back to him for one of his first time crosses into the box. Inevitably to McCulloch coming in from the other wing, I can't think of many players we've had since that could leap and head a ball like he could.

To answer the question of the thread though it's tough but going to have to go with Andy Liddell.

Harry Lyon for me. Spent hours with him and my dad after games and he would talk me through every pass, shot on goal and even the goalies saves. Good player and a real gent.
Some of his family had a different view.
Not disputing the football side of things

Johnny King scared me to death and I was 10 rows back, he made Graham Souness look like Graham Norton.

My favourites though are/were great players but humble as well. Emile Heskey and Reece James were thoroughly decent human beings as well as brilliant players.
Irrelevant Footnote: My son sponsored Nathan Byrne and when he was to be presented with a framed shirt in hospitality, a young hostess came up and apologised profusely that Nathan wasn't available (probably sulking) and would he mind if Reece James presented it. We both laughed - we had already commented that he would play for England one day.

The late great Ian Gillibrand, closely followed by Tony ‘the belly’ Kelly…for a big lad he could beat a man from a standing start with a twist and a swerve that seemed to happen in slow motion. Soiled his memory somewhat by going on to be excellent for Notlob 😫

Having not watched Latics ANYWHERE near as long as majority of posters on here ( 24/25 years & counting) my favourite ever player is obviously from those years & imo there's a fair few in those years that have passed through our doors who I thought were great....from Andy Liddel n Bomber Roberts, to the Duke & Jason, the immense stature of ADZ, the leadership of Boyce, the safe hands of Ali Al Habsi & the pinpoint passing of Jordi G to the assist n scorer of our (imo) greatest achievement of an FA Cup win, namely Maloney n Watson, there are so so many in those ahort years to choose from that it's a hard one & sorry to drag it out but my favourite player is.....Charles N"Zogbia for his unpredictability, speed n skill, closely followed by Andy Liddel who scored some cracking goals......apologies to Jordi, Duke, Bainsey, Ali, De.Vos, Reece J & many more who have graced the hallowed turf at the JJB/DW stadium....thank you all