Fascist Crap | Page 3 | Vital Football

Fascist Crap

Yeah, but as Buddha has said, he knows people who actually hate the country that they live in, which begs the question, why do they choose to live here?
Some of the comments on various subjects in the Guardian tells me that there are quite a few who despise our country and everything about it.
What a strange thing, to choose to live in a country that you hate?
There was a comment today saying why don’t all the Brexiteers fuck off abroad so they can get their country back and stay part of the Eu.
Twisted logic?
Maybe he’s been asleep?

How people arrive at their political positions is no simple thing to answer. You might say that my conservatism is a function of my age and comfortable position in life. I'm alright Jack and have something to lose. You might say that someone else's anger at the world is a function of their own personality, experience and resulting unhappiness. Both might be true, but assuming either is disrespectful, probably wrong, and the arguments are still to be had.

My impression, and it is only an impression, is that most of the people who comment on Guardian pieces are young, university-educated, and insecure and that the Guardian's editorial policy now is to feed this, just as much as The Telegraph feeds other troubled dispositions. It's also my impression that The Guardian comments section is the least tolerant of the three papers I look at. You see flat out ding dongs on The Telegraph and The Times comments sometimes, but dissent on the Guardian is met by pretty fierce crowding, justified by a collective sense of being right, clear seeing, and fighting fearful odds. This is not a comment on the article writers nor, I suspect, on the vast majority of the people who read the paper, just those who comment who, like all of us on here, are batshit crazy in one way or another. It is worrying though since I still assume The Guardian readership to be the thoughtful, good guys (although not half as thoughtful or half as good as some of them assume themselves to be).

I think any claim to love one's country has to embrace the whole enchilada, not just selective, romanticized accounts of the bit we like, be it the rise of Britain to top nation, indigenous Englishness, or the heroic struggle of the working class for liberty. Take the English civil war. The whole struggle is part of our story -not just the cavalier bit or the roundhead bit. And Britain's story is not just the story of people trying to advance progressive reform and those who opposed them. It's also the story of people trying to create a place secure from without, safe within, at peace with itself, respected, rich and happy, and there is by no means a simple relationship between all those goods, or between them and the key planks of a progressive platform. How we puzzle our way through all this was, and continues to be, the story of our country.

How people arrive at their political positions is no simple thing to answer. You might say that my conservatism is a function of my age and comfortable position in life. I'm alright Jack and have something to lose. You might say that someone else's anger at the world is a function of their own personality, experience and resulting unhappiness. Both might be true, but assuming either is disrespectful, probably wrong, and the arguments are still to be had.

My impression, and it is only an impression, is that most of the people who comment on Guardian pieces are young, university-educated, and insecure and that the Guardian's editorial policy now is to feed this, just as much as The Telegraph feeds other troubled dispositions. It's also my impression that The Guardian comments section is the least tolerant of the three papers I look at. You see flat out ding dongs on The Telegraph and The Times comments sometimes, but dissent on the Guardian is met by pretty fierce crowding, justified by a collective sense of being right, clear seeing, and fighting fearful odds. This is not a comment on the article writers nor, I suspect, on the vast majority of the people who read the paper, just those who comment who, like all of us on here, are batshit crazy in one way or another. It is worrying though since I still assume The Guardian readership to be the thoughtful, good guys (although not half as thoughtful or half as good as some of them assume themselves to be).

I think any claim to love one's country has to embrace the whole enchilada, not just selective, romanticized accounts of the bit we like, be it the rise of Britain to top nation, indigenous Englishness, or the heroic struggle of the working class for liberty. Take the English civil war. The whole struggle is part of our story -not just the cavalier bit or the roundhead bit. And Britain's story is not just the story of people trying to advance progressive reform and those who opposed them. It's also the story of people trying to create a place secure from without, safe within, at peace with itself, respected, rich and happy, and there is by no means a simple relationship between all those goods, or between them and the key planks of a progressive platform. How we puzzle our way through all this was, and continues to be, the story of our country.

Great thought provoking piece, as ever, thanks Jokerman.
To think, we get kind of insight for free - some might have to find $75,892 (not a dig btw, one of my children attended a US University) .

I think we have a additional problem because we have a dual identity British and English. Whenever anyone in authority talks about British values the smaller nations can assume they are being ignored and misrepresented and the English wonder why they can't have Capstan Full Strength nationality like everyone else. Any moves towards English nationalism in recent years have looked confused and carried little conviction.

Do Scotland and Northern Ireland not count as far as this song is concerned, or does the composer know something we don't?
I dunno.
To be honest, I haven’t read the lyrics.
My response is to the absolutely over the top knee jerk bollax that this type of thing attracts.
You name the subject and we can find someone who is offended by it.
At the end of the day, it’s a song written by an Indian immigrant and sung by school kids.
Nationalism, I don’t know.
I was bought up in Australia and we sang the national anthem every morning at assembly.
Maybe that explains why I’m a racist/ fascist/ nationalist and anything else ending in ist. 😂

Nope you shouldn't be tolerant of it, which is why I'm a not really a big fan of religion in general, as you could be describing pretty much every religion in existence that isn't buddhism there.

If we are just talking organised religion then buddhism as practiced in places like burna are as bad as the rest.

Anyone who spouts English nationalism is automatically racist whereas anyone spouting Scottish nationalism (SNP) are considered patriotic.
Funny old world 😳
Well, Scottish nationalism is strongly linked to independence whilst the English version is usually linked to groups like the NF, BNP and edl. So, I think, in the main, the 2 are completely different. I think you know that too. That doesn't mean that anyone that says they are proud to be English or would like England to be an independent country is a racist. I do accept, however, that the English seem to be more readily labelled as racist over patriotism, but that, unfortunately, is due to the mirky past of the groups I mentioned before. My wife is fiercely patriotic and we have a lot of "agree to disagree" moments, but she hasn't a racist bone in her body.

Well, Scottish nationalism is strongly linked to independence whilst the English version is usually linked to groups like the NF, BNP and edl. So, I think, in the main, the 2 are completely different. I think you know that too.
Oh my God, you have LITERALLY just confirmed what he said!!😀

Is singing a national anthem fascist?

I'd say not necessarily, Trev, but potentially.

I don't much like our national anthem because of its lyrics. But I wouldn't suggest that it is fascist. I won't sing it or stand for it and though I'm not really a huge fan of national anthems, I do think that if we're to have one, it should be an English national anthem rather than a British one. I've always been keen on, 'Jerusalem', but probably only because I'm a big William Blake fan!

The history of the German national anthem is interesting. Unsurprisingly, the Nazis emphasised a certain bit was emphasised, and that probably was fascist:

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-national-anthem-a-song-with-a-tricky-past/a-40102655

I can't really sing a note and most national anthems are pretty feeble, ours especially so. If we were to switch to Hurry Up Harry (unexpurgated version) I could probably shout along. Not very inclusive I know.