Face masks - yes or no? | Vital Football

Face masks - yes or no?

General concensus is that they help in preventing you from infecting others but less effective in stopping you from getting infected.
I wear one in the train to and from work and when shopping but not in the street. When out walking, Mrs Nobby and I choose a route where we can get much more than the 2m away from people and regularly cross the road to avoid other walkers.
I suppose the best situation would be where everyone wore a mask whenever in public but I'm not sure availability would allow that. I'm sure one of the provisions of restrictions being lifted would be compulsory wearing of masks (public gatherings/public transport etc).
Funny how we all thought the Chinese were a little odd for regularly wearing them around London etc, could be the norm for some time to come.

General concensus is that they help in preventing you from infecting others but less effective in stopping you from getting infected.
I wear one in the train to and from work and when shopping but not in the street. When out walking, Mrs Nobby and I choose a route where we can get much more than the 2m away from people and regularly cross the road to avoid other walkers.
I suppose the best situation would be where everyone wore a mask whenever in public but I'm not sure availability would allow that. I'm sure one of the provisions of restrictions being lifted would be compulsory wearing of masks (public gatherings/public transport etc).
Funny how we all thought the Chinese were a little odd for regularly wearing them around London etc, could be the norm for some time to come.
Availability is not a problem you just make your own.

You do need to get some non-woven fabric for the insert filter.

Outside the house , I've been wearing one for six weeks now.
We were given washable masks by the council earlier this week , up until then it's been disposal cheapies
Gloves also have to be worn in supermarkets.

I wear one, but take it off to cough and sneeze. More comfortable.

Seriously, I put it on in the supermarket but that's all. Fogs up glasses and as Billy suggests, gets your hands all over your face just when you shouldn't.

I’ve used a mask when going to the supermarket since the beginning. Right or wrong, time will tell I expect.
On my supermarket visits it’s been about 50/50 on people wearing masks.
We have got off very lightly so far in North Devon with only 12 fatalities in the hospital.
All had other issues and all were elderly (over 70)
Hopefully it will stay like that. The south west has been remarkably flat throughout.

Just read that, as part of their lifting of restrictions, Germany have stated that masks MUST be worn in public as well as still following social distancing protocols.
This was part of an article reporting a second wave of cases in China since lifting of some if their restrictions.
This was always going to be a danger as most of us know which is why it always riles me when, during the daily No10 briefings, the first question out of the journalist's mouths is always "when can we see a start to the lifting of restrictions? ". Can you imagine if the PM gave in and lifted them only to suffer another wave?

Just read that, as part of their lifting of restrictions, Germany have stated that masks MUST be worn in public as well as still following social distancing protocols.
Originally they were only going to be required in shops or on public transport, so they are going even further.

No, stop depriving those who actually need them, i.e. health workers and carers. Everyone else should just learn to social distance properly and to cover their mouth and nose when sneezing and coughing.

This was always going to be a danger as most of us know which is why it always riles me when, during the daily No10 briefings, the first question out of the journalist's mouths is always "when can we see a start to the lifting of restrictions? ". Can you imagine if the PM gave in and lifted them only to suffer another wave?
While the public is generally supportive of the lockdown everyone is champing at the bit for relaxations. It's a natural question to ask. What Starmer is asking for is a conditional programme but I guess that would depend on testing far more people etc etc.