Face masks - yes or no? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Face masks - yes or no?

I still think the government will be discussing how to get people to follow the lockdown let alone be at a point to accurately say when we can relax it.

I served a metric shit ton of people at the weekend clearly breaking it.

On my supermarket visits it’s been about 50/50 on people wearing masks.
We have got off very lightly so far in North Devon with only 12 fatalities in the hospital.
All had other issues and all were elderly (over 70)
I went shopping today (first big shop for a week) in Sittingbourne and there was one shopper (out of 60?), wearing a mask. We are made of tougher stuff in the SE.

Anyone got any ideas where to buy face masks,
Appears all the Granddaughters seem to think it’s the new fashion accessory

Lockdown is crumbling state-by-state, county-by-county here. Trump says it's too fast. The experts say things will spike again. Small businesses are trying to set up social distance, no-contact protocols. People are saying if I can go to the supermarket, I can surely go to work and to the beach. Meat producers say supply chains are breaking because of meat plant closures. My guess, and it is a guess, is that the US will take the biggest hit in human terms and recover fastest in economic terms. This is not, of course, and obvious trade off between one priority which is obviously right and good, and another which is obviously wrong and bad, but it involves absolutely horrible choices with imperfect information just as in war. In making them, the politicians, like the generals, earn their corn and people's love and hatred. Sweden and the US on the same page, taking the same steps, the same big hit up front, and betting that their approaches will be more sustainable in the middle to long term. Funny old world.

Sweden and the US on the same page, taking the same steps, the same big hit up front, and betting that their approaches will be more sustainable in the middle to long term. Funny old world.

That was always going to be the thing with the “flattening the curve” idea. Flatten the curve so there’s no big spike, no breakdown of the health system and more people can get treated by prolonging it all. And the trade off is a lot longer to stay locked down.

Or, do as Sweden seem to be doing (and US citizens want?), more die (per mill) but end is sooner.

People can’t have it both ways by screaming “lock the country down or 1,000’s will die”. And then “lift the restrictions now”.

Either way, unless I’m missing something, the area under the curve looks like it will end up very similar in both scenarios. But one will last longer and a certain percentage extra will be saved.

That was always going to be the thing with the “flattening the curve” idea. Flatten the curve so there’s no big spike, no breakdown of the health system and more people can get treated by prolonging it all. And the trade off is a lot longer to stay locked down.

Or, do as Sweden seem to be doing (and US citizens want?), more die (per mill) but end is sooner.

People can’t have it both ways by screaming “lock the country down or 1,000’s will die”. And then “lift the restrictions now”.

Either way, unless I’m missing something, the area under the curve looks like it will end up very similar in both scenarios. But one will last longer and a certain percentage extra will be saved.

Of course, we all may be missing something. We just don't know what.

Of course, we all may be missing something. We just don't know what.
A vaccine? Sweden gets on top of the virus; so do we and others such as Italy and then to recover, unlike (say) the USA, we need to engage in international trade but how do you open your doors when others are suffering the virus?

Problem with Starmer banging on about exit strategies is that some of ours just surely be based on results of countries ahead of us in the pandemic? Its OK having a plan but it will change regularly based upon how that plan has/hasn't worked in those countries. To come out with one now and expect to stick to it is irresponsible to say the least.
Who is saying we have to stick to it? Did Starmer say we HAVE to stick to it? In a war we have plans. Obviously they change as events unfold and we learn. I gather Montgomery had a plan for the war in the desert. I don't suppose he told his generals, "sorry lads, I haven't got a plan in case things don't go the way I expect. Lets just drift along for a while and see what happens".

My guess is that the Tories have been rudderless without Johnson and treading water until he got back. We'll probably get some kind of plan in the next couple of weeks, especially now he's under pressure frim Tory donors/business leaders.

Working in pest control I have access to a box of ffp3 masks for work so have made sure my in laws and elderly neighbours have some.

I haven’t worn them yet out either shopping or generally.

Who is saying we have to stick to it? Did Starmer say we HAVE to stick to it? In a war we have plans. Obviously they change as events unfold and we learn. I gather Montgomery had a plan for the war in the desert. I don't suppose he told his generals, "sorry lads, I haven't got a plan in case things don't go the way I expect. Lets just drift along for a while and see what happens".

My guess is that the Tories have been rudderless without Johnson and treading water until he got back. We'll probably get some kind of plan in the next couple of weeks, especially now he's under pressure frim Tory donors/business leaders.
I wrote more or less the same. It's not sticking to a rigid plan but having a plan that satisfies the 5 key points the Govt has set out and being flexible.

I wrote more or less the same. It's not sticking to a rigid plan but having a plan that satisfies the 5 key points the Govt has set out and being flexible.

But maybe the plans are known by the ‘generals’ but not the ‘soldiers’ or media. The 5 key points was the first part of getting people prepared and further things will be leaked or hinted at over the next couple weeks lol.

Just because they haven't shared a plan with the media doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

May as well put cameras in parliament to satisfy your constant demands for detailed info from the government.

Just because they haven't shared a plan with the media doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Experience so far indicates that that is the case.
May as well put cameras in parliament to satisfy your constant demands for detailed info from the government.
You may not have noticed that we do have such a thing and such things as the business of select committees is televised.

Experience so far indicates that that is the case.

You may not have noticed that we do have such a thing and such things as the business of select committees is televised.

Experience so far indicates that that is the case in your opinion.

Well yeah but they clearly, and rightly, discuss everything in proper depth away from the cameras.

Well yeah but they clearly, and rightly, discuss everything in proper depth away from the cameras.
Not sure what you mean when such discussions are published in Hansard. However, if you are prepared to be led blindly then so be it but we are witnessing Govt cock ups being revealed daily.

A care home owner was on south west news last night literally bleating on about Ppe and how she felt they were not being supported.
She then showed her stores and they had stacks of it.
She had 600 masks but said she was terrified for when they ran out.
She only had 32 residents, none of whom had contracted covid.
Mrs and I said simultaneously, if Mum was in that home we would move her.
The owner was a hysterical nutter.
Assuming those residents only had a wash and pad change twice a day ( who would be happy if their mum only had a pad change twice a day?), those masks would have lasted ten days! The masks we have are only effective for 30mins.

The one thing that has been common between all countries in this pandemic is the government have got it wrong, at least according to some of the population. Even the Germans who seem to have got off light are moaning, and the French, Spanish, Italians are accusing the Germans of hording PPE and test kits. Whether like Sweden who have done little in shutting down, or the French , Spanish, Italians who shut everything there seems very small differences in the final results.
This is something never faced before and all countries are doing there best, can we find a way out without a second wave, or whilst still having a economy, who knows, we can only hope.

Assuming those residents only had a wash and pad change twice a day ( who would be happy if their mum only had a pad change twice a day?), those masks would have lasted ten days! The masks we have are only effective for 30mins.
That's told him