FA Cup - Aston Villa v Liverpool | Page 39 | Vital Football

FA Cup - Aston Villa v Liverpool

I know Louie Barry did really well last night and scored a cracking goal, but as I said last night, he’s a few protein shakes away from 1st team action, needs to bulk up a bit for a couple of years, could see the lad getting injured and down hearted coming up against, the likes of Van Dyke, Kyle Walker etc etc every week,
For me just not physically up for the premier league just yet.
Don’t him getting flattened like Rob Andrews with Jona Lomu.
He's a couple of years away from 90 minutes but he has definitely earned himself a spot on the bench. We are allowed nine subs in our PL squads now and we often look light on the bench in terms of attacking players. I think he showed enough last night that if he's given a chance to chase a through ball in behind defenders, he will take it.

Revan, the captain last night, is another player I'd like to see in the first team squad in place of Engels. He was excellent last night as were Bridge, Rowe and Sylla.

I know Louie Barry did really well last night and scored a cracking goal, but as I said last night, he’s a few protein shakes away from 1st team action, needs to bulk up a bit for a couple of years, could see the lad getting injured and down hearted coming up against, the likes of Van Dyke, Kyle Walker etc etc every week,
For me just not physically up for the premier league just yet.
Don’t him getting flattened like Rob Andrews with Jona Lomu.
I see your point Toro but the saying is "if you are good enough, you are old enough".
Wayne Rooney, David Beckham, Gary Neville are examples of kids who made it in the PL at the same age as Louie Barry - and don't forget that famous saying from Alan Hansen "you can't win anything with kids"
Maybe no full starts just yet but once we are safe in the league, it will be right to give some game time to some of these lads.

He's a couple of years away from 90 minutes but he has definitely earned himself a spot on the bench. We are allowed nine subs in our PL squads now and we often look light on the bench in terms of attacking players. I think he showed enough last night that if he's given a chance to chase a through ball in behind defenders, he will take it.

Why has he earned himself a spot on the bench and not the lads who have been training with the first team who couldn't play last night . Also why not all the lads who played last night don't they all deserve a place on the bench , of course they do but let's be real, most of them will never see the Villa first team, it's the way it is

Why has he earned himself a spot on the bench and not the lads who have been training with the first team who couldn't play last night . Also why not all the lads who played last night don't they all deserve a place on the bench , of course they do but let's be real, most of them will never see the Villa first team, it's the way it is
Barry will see the Villa first team - I have no doubt about that. He was the reason that Mark Harrison was 'poached' from the Boggies to get the kid back from Barca for around £1m

I can't wait for Villa to now try and call off the Spurs game, having made a rod for our own back, I'm sure the kids will go again midweek and lose to Spurs in a gallant manner but .......

Maybe the lads training with the first team who missed out are excellent too, but they haven't shown it in 90 minutes against a near full strength Liverpool side. Half of making it as a pro is pure luck, Barry took his luck last night and scored an excellent goal against Liverpool on his first team debut.

Most of them won't but a handful definitely will see first team action this season. Most people on here thought we were going to get hammered 12-0 judging by some of the comments yesterday, including you I believe? Revan made 14 clearances, blocked 3 shots and won every 50-50 ground duel he was involved in (5). A few of them are more ready for first team football than many of you believed.

Barry will see the Villa first team - I have no doubt about that. He was the reason that Mark Harrison was 'poached' from the Boggies to get the kid back from Barca for around £1m

I didn't say he wouldn't, I just said he's way down the pecking order for the first team there are 4 or 5 ahead of him, training with the first team. If he was training with the first team yes I'd buy this on the bench stuff, he's not. Let's look at it sensibly, he's already playing u23 at 17 let him progress before throwing him to the lions. Great Goal last night but there were kids out there who gave just as much to the cause. He's a boy he's not a man like Milner or Rooney were at that age

I see your point Toro but the saying is "if you are good enough, you are old enough".
Wayne Rooney, David Beckham, Gary Neville are examples of kids who made it in the PL at the same age as Louie Barry - and don't forget that famous saying from Alan Hansen "you can't win anything with kids"
Maybe no full starts just yet but once we are safe in the league, it will be right to give some game time to some of these lads.
I agree C&BB, we could have our Very own “Class Off” very soon, just looking at the lad he’s not fully matured yet, and I feel even though he may have the class, he’s a long way from having the physique, and sitting on the bench every week for 5 mins here and 5 mins there, could have the reverse effect.
I’ve seen Adama get launched into row z by some prem defenders, Barry would get snapped in half, for me far too early...but time will tell. Either way great player, and exciting future for him and us.

If I’m honest apart from the goal I didn’t see enough, not his fault we hardly had the ball, but if after his goal he deserves a spot on the bench, why would Revan, Rowe, Mungo & Sylla not also deserve a place! For me we need to take a look at the bigger picture, our future.

Last edited:
Maybe the lads training with the first team who missed out are excellent too, but they haven't shown it in 90 minutes against a near full strength Liverpool side. Half of making it as a pro is pure luck, Barry took his luck last night and scored an excellent goal against Liverpool on his first team debut.

Most of them won't but a handful definitely will see first team action this season. Most people on here thought we were going to get hammered 12-0 judging by some of the comments yesterday, including you I believe? Revan made 14 clearances, blocked 3 shots and won every 50-50 ground duel he was involved in (5). A few of them are more ready for first team football than many of you believed.

A handful of those won't see the first team this season unless we have to play them because of covid.
Bloody hell there were people moaning when Ransey started for the first team and he's way ahead of the u18's. Like I said there are kids was ahead of those, out of those last night I think Bridge has already made the Villa bench can't remember which game but I've seen his name there .
I'm so glad Deano runs the team.

The likes of Rowe, Bridge and Revan did amazingly well, they're all 20-21 and they've done it at the right time, and perhaps could do with some loan experience.

Onodi, Sylla, and Barry for me shone the brightest for lads who aren't even 18 yet.

The funniest thing about last night is that we were missing Aaron Ramsey, Jacob Ramsey, Keine Kesler, Philogene-Bidace and Carney Chukwuemeka (16) to name just a few of the bright prospects coming through.

The lads on a whole deserve massive credit for who they came up against, let's not hide away from the fact Liverpool totally dominated them and they didn't have the legs for it at the end, but for 60 minutes they did incredibly well.

I think the middle of midfield were really young too, no older than 18 our average age on the pitch was 18.8 years which goes to show something when most of the defenders were in their 20's, so probably shows why we struggled to push out more than we could of because some of them were literally just boys against men.

I think if we had the likes of Ramsey, Kesler in the side too we wouldn't of been penned in as much as we were, but if you ask Crystal Palace fans if they could swap our 4-1 loss with their 7 I think you'll find they'll take it.

Imagine when these boys improve on their fitness and they can show that much heart and desire for 90minutes, at 60minutes we were doing fine.

I'm not saying all of them will make the first team but I think we'll definitely see a few of them in the shirt some day.

The cruel reality is that most of those kids will be the next Daniel Johnson, Robinson, or O'Hare if they are lucky if they are Very Very very good and lucky they might be the next Jack Grealish, Gary Shaw or Sid.
Football is very cruel, to the kids, look at Vasselev out on loan at Burton, nobody even mentions him anymore, not a second thought about the kid

The cruel reality is that most of those kids will be the next Daniel Johnson, Robinson, or O'Hare if they are lucky if they are Very Very very good and lucky they might be the next Jack Grealish, Gary Shaw or Sid.
Football is very cruel, to the kids, look at Vasselev out on loan at Burton, nobody even mentions him anymore, not a second thought about the kid

If everyone in that squad last night goes onto at the very least be regular starters in good championship clubs like Daniel Johnson is then we've had a very good crop.

I read an article on our academy a few years back that claimed that we had more academy graduates go on to have pro careers than any other in England. Something to be proud in my opinion.

Most of these lads probably won't be starting for Villa in 5 years time. Some might not be professional footballers. However all of them showed courage, discipline and good technical abilities when on the ball. I'd be looking to loan some out ASAP. They've had a taste of first team so get them playing men every week.

If everyone in that squad last night goes onto at the very least be regular starters in good championship clubs like Daniel Johnson is then we've had a very good crop.

I read an article on our academy a few years back that claimed that we had more academy graduates go on to have pro careers than any other in England. Something to be proud in my opinion.

Most of these lads probably won't be starting for Villa in 5 years time. Some might not be professional footballers. However all of them showed courage, discipline and good technical abilities when on the ball. I'd be looking to loan some out ASAP. They've had a taste of first team so get them playing men every week.
Apparently, there were 4 or 5 20-year-olds out there they are in make or break territory now come the end of the season, if they haven't made the first team by 21 they probably won't be staying. That's the harsh reality, they, however, will play at some level just not for us. I had high hopes of O'hare and Doyle Hayes a couple of seasons ago after the seemed to be making a breakthrough, never happened for them.

Anyone know how he's doing at Burton? No goals in 11 appearances doesn't look that good.

Anyone know how he's doing at Burton? No goals in 11 appearances doesn't look that good.

Whenever I've checked he always seems to be on the bench. I think he was injured for a while as well. Whatever the reason its not gone well for him.

Message immediately after the match from a friend, a die hard Liverpool fan;

“Your kids did you proud, Villa’s future looks good.”

And that just about sums up last night for me. I bet the kids are all on cloud nine this morning, haven’t slept and are daydreaming about ‘that tackle against Salah’ and suchlike. Nothing’s gained without risk and a lot was gained last night.

I wouldn't read too much into it mate, He plays on the wing at Burton and they've not won in 8 games in a row.

My point really was this time a season or so ago people want him to be given a chance. Now he'll probably jump at the chance of a contract with Burton.
This is how carried away we get with kids