FA Cup 3rd Round. Leicester away | Page 6 | Vital Football

FA Cup 3rd Round. Leicester away

I watched it on bet 365 - for anyone who didn't see it you didn't miss much.

Liecester were comfortable throughout without having to get out of first gear. We started decent but gifted them a needless own goal and then a soft shot was deflected in off Dunkley so Liecester had 2 big slices of luck but they really didn't need it - if we posed more of a threat or the goal didn't come you felt they could easily have stepped up a gear but just didn't need to. Liecester obviously have better players than us but we never really made them show it and that was disappointing - we lacked the energy and intensity of the cup run of 2 years ago. Our lads didn't rise to the occasion or really look like they had belief they could cause an upset and you if you don't have that faith in yourself to defy the odds you've got no chance.

It was a pretty laboured and toothless display from us offensively. We tried to play the ball out from the back again which is good - there is a clear method again after abandoning it for maybe the better part of a year. But everything fades away after we get the ball over the half way line - there is a lack of method to our attacking play. When you compared us to Liecester the biggest visible difference was their organisation - the method to their play, movement and transitions. When they attacked or broke their players were creating space and options with simple movement and getting men up in numbers. These are things any team can do - and things we are poor at and need to improve on drastically and that comes from the training ground. There were occasions where Windass would try and break and no one was anywhere near to supporting him while when Liecester broke they had players busting a gut to give them overloads. Big difference in desire to get a goal.

We got away with some very poor set piece marking - there was one completely unmarked free header that was wasted. These set pieces will 100% send up down if we don't get a grip on them.

I felt the starting line up hurt us, too many square pegs in round holes - Williams is a good player but he's not a number 10, Windass has a lot to offer but he's not a lone striker, Dowell is meant to be a no10 but was on the left to limited effect and Massey isn't up to it at all. We need a Garner / Moore type to lead the line and be the foil with a Windass / Gelhartd playing just behind them or with them. Also I don't think 2 def mids covering for full backs is doing us any favours - would like to see us have 1 def mid with less aggressive fullbacks so have the extra mid can get involved in attacks with the wingers providing the width. Maybe even completely move to a 4-3-3 of a 4-1-4-1 or something to try and get more attacking threat. Williams seemed to be struggling but was kept on until he had to leave the pitch injured after all subs used - terrible decision he wasn't one of the lads replaced to avoid risking an injury.

Cook said at the forum Gelhartd can't play up front on his own and lead the line and I agree with him - so why bring him on and ask him to do that? We all want to see Joffy get game time but we know as a lone striker it almost certainly won't work - is that protecting him? Ruining his confidence and starving him of service.

I think Garner is clearly on Cooks bad list to not get on when we were crying out for a striker and he went without one completely all game. Cook doesn't half seem to fall out / stop using a lot of players - not good management to constantly limited your options by choice.

I'm not bothered we are out of the cup - we have enough to worry about without distractions or extra games as it is but would've liked us to have given a bit of a better showing of ourselves on the night. Go down as valiant losers heads held high rather than with a bit of a whimper. We've shown in the past what can be done but we didn't show our best and against a team like Liecester that gives you zero chance.
Lots of those points should (but aren't) being asked of 🤡 post match or mid week.
Maybe you should ask the WEP if you could do a guest reporter pressie !

H
Like that but would try Windass rather than Pilks/Lowe and bring back Big Joe. Is daft Sam not banned?

Morsy not banned under changed rules. FA Cup yellows don't carry into league.

I'd go same team with Garner up top, Josh, Gelhardt and Dowell / Pilks behind him. But i wouldn't mind seeing 4-3-3 with Garner, Gelhardt and Windass front 3.

Like that but would try Windass rather than Pilks/Lowe and bring back Big Joe. Is daft Sam not banned?
I definitely think Windass will go back to 10 soon. He’s not a natural striker, gets caught offside far too often. He’s like McClean when Malky put him up front. We need to get Moore fit or sign a striker to play.

I see golden balls did fook all when he came on

He was involved in the build up to the goal that wasn't given. He was also a general nuisance and put their players under pressure, causing them to put the ball out a few times. He was lively against one of the best teams in the country, with no support and in a position he can't possibly play (he's not big or physical enough to play a lone striker role). On his limited number of appearances, he's scored a goal, set up Moore for what should have been a certain goal, won a penalty, and been a general thorn in the side of the opposition. With the proper support around him and playing in his natural role, he will become a very effective player. Under the tutelage of this manager, his career will go nowhere.

Lots of those points should (but aren't) being asked of 🤡 post match or mid week.
Maybe you should ask the WEP if you could do a guest reporter pressie !

After the Bolton presser last year got the guy from WISH banned from further pressers I don't think asking anything remotely probing is on the menu.

He was involved in the build up to the goal that wasn't given. He was also a general nuisance and put their players under pressure, causing them to put the ball out a few times. He was lively against one of the best teams in the country, with no support and in a position he can't possibly play (he's not big or physical enough to play a lone striker role). On his limited number of appearances, he's scored a goal, set up Moore for what should have been a certain goal, won a penalty, and been a general thorn in the side of the opposition. With the proper support around him and playing in his natural role, he will become a very effective player. Under the tutelage of this manager, his career will go nowhere.
Another fan who talks sense

It's funny how Cook does things. He knows lots of fans are sick of him, his tactics, his favouritism, his swapping and changing, his bumming up other side's, his selections, his stubburness, his win ratio, his comments to press, his selections, his style of play so he pushes the young lad on today on his own up front. It's like he set him up to fail to justify his decisions.
Come on Stan get the Royles out and Reid, Cook and all their hangers on. We want to be more than an Everton satellite club.

Also something I forgot to add not regarding the match. Had a little wander around the ground before the match and ventured into their superstore/club shop whatever it’s called nowadays. One thing I really like were the retro shirts of seasons past they had on sale, both home and away tops. Back when they had the Walkers logo. I know we’ve done it once ourselves with the old three amigos shirts being able to buy, but that’s something I’d love to see in the Latics club shop. Old shirts like those adidas home kits for example. They’d definitely sell.

Rodgers post match: “We got the result but it wasn’t really the performance we wanted. We didn’t play well, we have to play much better than that."

“We weren’t good enough on the ball. We weren’t good enough in our control of the game, especially in midfield, and we have to be cleaner.”

“We got the job done but we have to demand more."

I've mentioned it before about Wilder at Sheff U - but the difference in winning mentality and striving for excellence between them and us is very obvious.

We hear too much about 'Can't ask anymore of the lads', 'it's an unforgiving league', 'it is what it is' and how good the opposition are. It's so often made to sound like what happens is out of our control rather than a result of what we do well / badly.

The winning mentality isn't something that magically appears after winning a couple of games it's built by the standards a team sets itself and i think our standards are not high enough based on Cooks interviews. Unless we win 6-0 in an immaculate performance saying things like 'we couldn't ask more' is not a good response and it's a terrible response if you didn't even win.

Cook was more complimentary about his side not putting a glove on Liecester in defeat than Rogers was in a very comfortable victory. I know they are in the division above us but I think if the managers roles were reversed Cook would likely be waxing lyrical about his Liecesters easy win and Rodgers would be very frustrated by his Wigans rather toothless display. I think we need to look at managers like Rogers and not just copy what he is doing on the pitch but his mentality off it too.

You can say maybe behind closed doors we do have higher standards than we project to the media - but why would you do that? If you are going to tell the players privately you expect more from them assuming you aren't throwing them under the bus and slating them why would you be afraid to say it to the media? If you hold yourself to such a high standard and demand excellence why wouldn't you project that at all times?

Last edited:
Didn't go or see the game today but can confirm Morsy will not be banned for his yellow as they now only count towards the FA cup not the league.Just as well especially with Williams going off injured.He should never have played 90 mins today after playing the full game at Brum only a few days ago in his first full game back since injury.
For me,to get the best out of Dowell if he plays we need to play him in the number 10 behind the striker which is his best position.He could be a decent signing for us but shouldn't be played on the wing.
I like Williams,Morsy and Evans but we only need to play 2 of them.
Although I would of started Joffy,it was nice to see him play the last half hour.But IMO he should have been played in the number 10 or out wide not as the striker leading the line.
Apparently Pearce played ok today despite the og(he should of used his weaker right foot to clear it)so he will be good back up to Robinson and hopefully Sterling and Williams injuries picked up aren't serious.Seems Marshall played well and has done himself no harm in trying to regain the number 1 spot.
It was a shame our goal was ruled out for offside.It would of given the players/fans a real lift and belief going into that last 20 mins only a goal behind and possibly make Leicester a bit more nervy.It probably deflated everyone when it was ruled out and gave Leicester a lift.
That VAR offside rule needs looking at.For me the official should only look at the still pic of a potential offside with the naked eye and if it isn't 100% clear within a few seconds to them that the player is in an offside position then the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker.It's frustrating fans in the Prem when it's that close and we got a taste of that today unfortunately.
It would of been nice to cause an upset today but we now concentrate on the big fight we have ahead of us in trying to stay in the Championship.We've had a lot of games in a short space of time so everyone can now recover and then prepare for a big game against an out of form Bristol City next week.

I thought it looked like a clear offside just from seeing the still & without all the lines they drew on
I don't like var and never have but despite that have to reluctantly say that it was correct in this instance & not controversial like some I've seen recently

Also something I forgot to add not regarding the match. Had a little wander around the ground before the match and ventured into their superstore/club shop whatever it’s called nowadays. One thing I really like were the retro shirts of seasons past they had on sale, both home and away tops. Back when they had the Walkers logo. I know we’ve done it once ourselves with the old three amigos shirts being able to buy, but that’s something I’d love to see in the Latics club shop. Old shirts like those adidas home kits for example. They’d definitely sell.
It will probably be down to minimum numbers that have to be purchased. Leicester have a much bigger supporter base and regular fan base attending. They are also the only other league club in the county of Leicestershire. I know what you mean though but we can only bring in what will sell at a profit unfortunately.

Absolutely, they've also done versions from the late 70's and the 87-88 seasons too (but without the Heniz logo), but they're rare as anything. Might find them on ebay or old football shirt shops, but thats your lot. They used to sell the old three amigos retro shirt on the online shop as well before they updated the website - not just in store - but its no longer on. I'm gutted I didn't buy it when I could! I've emailed the shop to see about stock but they say they've no longer got any ... but if they did re-sell it I'd be front of the queue!