FA Cup 2nd Round Draw | Page 6 | Vital Football

FA Cup 2nd Round Draw

FA Cup draws can be deceptive, it often depends on how seriously the opposition wants to win. The non-league clubs and vast majority in League Two desperately want to win to get to the potentially lucrative but usually elusive third round, while an increasing number of clubs even in League One are valuing it less and less. And that refers to the fish out of water - the likes of Portsmouth, Sunderland, Ipswich and Coventry - whose real intent lies in promotion. A big third round tie for those clubs is not as significant as for the likes of us because they will soon be back in the Championship with an automatic trip to the third round in the offing very soon. Their financial rewards do not lie in the FA Cup in the same way. On that basis, I don't think Coventry is that daunting a draw.

Just taking Coventry as an example, if they are prioritising the league over the FA Cup that philosophy is not really working for them is it. They must have spent at least 5 or 6 seasons now outside the top 2 divisions.
I just dont understand why lower league managers play weakened sides or squad players or whatever you want to call them in any of the 3 major domestic competitions. Football is a lot about momentum and any successful team especially in the lower leagues where squads are smaller is always a settled team as we were in our run to win the National League and get to the FA Cup quarter finals then the following season to win League 2 and the Checkatrade Trophy. Players want to play and there is nothing more frustrating for them than training all week then having to sit out a game they would love to be playing in. It's down to individual managers on what they do but I would always play my strongest team in any circumstances and especially if that team was doing well in the league.

Just taking Coventry as an example, if they are prioritising the league over the FA Cup that philosophy is not really working for them is it. They must have spent at least 5 or 6 seasons now outside the top 2 divisions.
I just dont understand why lower league managers play weakened sides or squad players or whatever you want to call them in any of the 3 major domestic competitions. Football is a lot about momentum and any successful team especially in the lower leagues where squads are smaller is always a settled team as we were in our run to win the National League and get to the FA Cup quarter finals then the following season to win League 2 and the Checkatrade Trophy. Players want to play and there is nothing more frustrating for them than training all week then having to sit out a game they would love to be playing in. It's down to individual managers on what they do but I would always play my strongest team in any circumstances and especially if that team was doing well in the league.

Well said !
And actually I was disappointed we didn't field a better side in Lincs Cup last week or so.
That semi plus a final could have been useful games for fringe first team players and allow us to go stronger in tonight's Trophy knowing those fringe players had got some useful game time.

Agree with this. It's ridiculous for lower league teams to play weakened teams in the FA Cup. It's delusions of grandeur and smacks of a fear of mano a mano, tete a tete, full-on competition which is what knockout cup footy represents.
A cup run like ours in 16/17 will stay with fans a lifetime, whereas most league campaigns we won't even remember where we finished in the table.

I downloaded one but it didn't work, or I hadn't the patience to opperate it correctly.
I've decided I'll just photograph the street sign in future

I actually do that now !!
And before phones, used to write on a piece of paper where I'd left my car.
Never lost a car again...

If we win the replay next week the Coventry match has been scheduled for Sunday the 1st of December with a 2pm kick off.
Not a TV selected game

If we win the replay next week the Coventry match has been scheduled for Sunday the 1st of December with a 2pm kick off.
Not a TV selected game

Hope we do go through as we can get our visit to St Andrews in early then and at a cheaper rate you'd expect than the pre-Christmas league game.
And travel should be a bit easier too

Hope we do go through as we can get our visit to St Andrews in early then and at a cheaper rate you'd expect than the pre-Christmas league game.
And travel should be a bit easier too

Birmingham city centre is a nightmare at the best of times but the Saturday before Christmas will be a horrendous piece of hell so yes