FA Cup 2nd Round Draw | Page 5 | Vital Football

FA Cup 2nd Round Draw

FA Cup draws can be deceptive, it often depends on how seriously the opposition wants to win. The non-league clubs and vast majority in League Two desperately want to win to get to the potentially lucrative but usually elusive third round, while an increasing number of clubs even in League One are valuing it less and less. And that refers to the fish out of water - the likes of Portsmouth, Sunderland, Ipswich and Coventry - whose real intent lies in promotion. A big third round tie for those clubs is not as significant as for the likes of us because they will soon be back in the Championship with an automatic trip to the third round in the offing very soon. Their financial rewards do not lie in the FA Cup in the same way. On that basis, I don't think Coventry is that daunting a draw.
Spot on Scot Imp Leyton Orient thought they had a gimme yesterday and look how that turned out much rather play a decent team whose main target is elsewhere, I fully expect Ipswich to play the same team in the replay.

Unless you are a non league team drawn at home to a league team supporters in general have little interest in the earlier rounds despite reduced admission prices. You only have to look at the crap gates last Saturday and Sunday. Last season we were top dogs crowd wise in rounds one and two with our home draws, two good games and 6,000 + gates. The prize money for getting through each round is worth having for the smaller Clubs, but for the Premiership it is not worth their while, so while many Premier league teams dont take the FA Cup seriously until the later rounds, indifference has now spread lower down the leagues. Getting promotion has taken over all priorities, and despite the beebs best efforts in drumming up interest, it will be difficult if not impossible to reverse. Think its worth a try seeding the third round, make all Premiership sides play away and certainly not be drawn against each other, but then the smaller Club may prefer a bigger away gate by playing away as we did at Everton last season.

Oh no, i like going to Rochdale!
Fairly easy journey plus great chippy right opposite away turnstile.

St Andrews on the other hand is one of those annoying big stadia where parking is always difficult and everything just seems much more hassle

as they normally sing"Rochdale`s a shithole,i wanna go home"

Oh no, i like going to Rochdale!
Fairly easy journey plus great chippy right opposite away turnstile.
I enjoyed Rochdale too. Except I couldn't find my car after the game. Took me 20 minutes walking up and down the side streets until I recognised where I'd left it. I wasn't panicking....,No, definitely not.

I enjoyed Rochdale too. Except I couldn't find my car after the game. Took me 20 minutes walking up and down the side streets until I recognised where I'd left it. I wasn't panicking....,No, definitely not.
yeah,done that lost car bullcrap just the once,my pacemaker was working overtime with all the panic that set in that afternoon......and i was sober!

Unless you are a non league team drawn at home to a league team supporters in general have little interest in the earlier rounds despite reduced admission prices. You only have to look at the crap gates last Saturday and Sunday. Last season we were top dogs crowd wise in rounds one and two with our home draws, two good games and 6,000 + gates. The prize money for getting through each round is worth having for the smaller Clubs, but for the Premiership it is not worth their while, so while many Premier league teams dont take the FA Cup seriously until the later rounds, indifference has now spread lower down the leagues. Getting promotion has taken over all priorities, and despite the beebs best efforts in drumming up interest, it will be difficult if not impossible to reverse. Think its worth a try seeding the third round, make all Premiership sides play away and certainly not be drawn against each other, but then the smaller Club may prefer a bigger away gate by playing away as we did at Everton last season.
seeding the 3rd round......good idea for redistributing revenue down the line to the smaller sides........................will never happen.

as they normally sing"Rochdale`s a shithole,i wanna go home"

The League Cup game against Birmingham was one of the most nervous 150 minutes of my life waiting to see if declining the offer from half-a-dozen 12 years' olds to "watch your car mate?", meant I would be returning to a key etched block of steel without rubber corners.

Needn't have worried as it turns out.

The League Cup game against Birmingham was one of the most nervous 150 minutes of my life waiting to see if declining the offer from half-a-dozen 12 years' olds to "watch your car mate?", meant I would be returning to a key etched block of steel without rubber corners.

Needn't have worried as it turns out.

What they just torched it instead?.....little bleeders.

I once managed to report my little old Imp as stolen. Turned out I'd parked it in a totally different Coventry car park to the one I'd been wandering round and round in in a mad panic.
what were you drinking that day..........Ardberg shandies?
app on phones sorts that problem nowadays,if sober enough to turn it on.

It does appear we have a rough end of the draw again, although we did play at home twice last year in the first and second round. The added bonus of the TV game against Everton has helped.

However we have enjoyed an affinity with the FA Cup and the importance of the finance has been a catalyst in achieving what we have on and off the field. It would be good to receive additional income to enable us to continue to more than compete at this level.

waiting to see if declining the offer from half-a-dozen 12 years' olds to "watch your car mate?", meant I would be returning to a key etched block of steel without rubber corners.
I went to a Villa game in the 90s, did the whole 'watch your car for a quid' thing with the kids. We paid up. Got back to the street postmatch and ALL the cars in the street had gone! Yep, the police had towed em all away, illegal parked they said. Traipsed through Birmingham looking for the car pound....fun times!

TV companies no doubt salivating about the possibility of the big Manchester Derby of Oldham v Salford. They could talk incessantly on commentary about the Scholes connections.

I am originally from Birmingham and often go home to visit St Andrews. Ironic that I have tickets for Blues v Millwall on the fA cup day. On the negative side, parking is often difficult, with many side streets for residents only (and its rough, especially evening fixtures!) Positives are, its Coventry City not Birmingham city. So very few fans, probably on played Sunday and even the sizable car park behind the Cattell road stand (the kop) is likely to be open for visiting fans rather than just S/T holders & execs. Not forgetting the small matter of Ipswich town to overcome!

I am starting to wonder if the Cowleys used up all our luck, we are just not getting the rub of the green at present both on and off the pitch.

When Coventry came out I expected 1 to follow and was not disappointed but I just wonder if the cup is top of Coventry’s priorities so we will defo have a chance if we beat Ipswich.
Did we have any luck in terms of the easiness of draws and rub of the green in that respect?

2016/17 with Alty was first off was decent enough albeit a potential banana skin but Oldham, Ipswich, Brighton, Burnley and Arsenal weren't at the time in terms of league positions.

Even the EFL Trophy we drew big spending Notts and Mansfield and one of the strongest U23 sides in Everton in the group stages followed by Accrington who were about to start motoring ahead of their promotion, L1 Rochdale and Posh, Chelsea U21's and then a Shrewsbury side who were fancying their chances of getting promoted to the Championship.

Last year was probably the easy of the lot with two L2 sides then Everton. Even the year before that we drew a L1 side.