Exeter (A) highlights | Page 3 | Vital Football

Exeter (A) highlights

In comparison, Regan Poole's height is usually given as 5ft 11in. From observing the two players I'd estimate Roughan is at least as tall as him if not a bit more.

I guess Poole makes up for it a lot in other ways - aggression, reading the game, leadership (despite being relatively young himself). And even then he's playing a lot of right wing back in a 5 atm! Not saying roughan couldn't do it just suspicious of a, well it's fine if he isn't at it as he's a CB type argument. You'd think if we play a 4 more next year it'll be o'connor and Lewis, potentially.

I think he's good but leaving aside making the odd mistake (that's normal and I agree with you) do you think he's actually a CB? He can't be much over 5'8, 5'9 is he? Feels like he'd have to be ludicrously good to have a successful career as a cb even at lower levels. I think maybe lb would be better than lwb or at a push the left sided cb in a three but that could he quite situation dependent/would need to be at the right club.

I think I thought he was seen as a longer term cb but I'm less convinced now.
I'd agree, I've never fully seen Roughan as a long term CB either. He's always seemed more of a steady eddy full back to me (certainly at the minute, anyway).

Rushworth was in a position routinely occupied when the Imps are taking a corner and Roughan the other side of the field. Bishop recently went close with a lob against an advanced keeper and Alfie May suceeded v The Posh but there have been examples of our keeper going even further forward to clear a long punt when there is a quick break. This is presumably a coached tactic rather than having a striker bearing down from distance . Roughan knows the tactics, he didn't look or think! I'm just pleased neither player hauled down Nombe so early in the game to add a red card

I’m not sure about this. I have never seen Rushworth that wide. He looked like he was ready to be an overlapping left back.

Having said that Roughan did not look before playing the ball back. But equally if Rushworth had not have been 20 yards wider than he should have been, he might have beat their player to the ball.

Either way, probably the two worst goals we have given away all season!

Even if Rushworth had been central Roughan badly underhit the back pass and their forward would have still been favourite to reach it first. It is a terrible error for him to make and he needs to learn from it quickly.
However I would still pick him against Peterborough. Boyes who is on loan from Championship Sheffield Utd can't defend as well as Roughan or attack as well , isn't as good in the air or as physically strong as Roughan. I still have big hopes for Roughan going forwards but he still has a lot to learn.
Plus Montsma who is highly rated by many including me as a defender was pathetically weak for Exeter's winner.

January's window is pretty much accepted as the one which is used to patch over squads. Erhahon had been scouted for some time so he is the anomaly but the others were simply filling gaps. When you do that it is difficult to strike lucky with players.
Also all this writing of players off is quite reminiscent of some early views of Brooke Norton-Coffey's first games with us at this stage last season. He didn't turn out to shabby in the end

And don't forget the writing-off of Bramall and Poole, by the forum sages.

Check back on BNC first games for the Imps and it was nothing but praise from Imps fans. IIRC Vitals posters voted him MoM in his first 2 games at least. I think you’ve used a poor comparison there, BNC was universally acclaimed to be a potential top player. I remember his first appearance as sub was away at Plymouth, it was his rampaging run forward that got the corner from where we scored the winner.
Just Imagine that, a fullback making a rampaging run forward with the score at 1-1 away at a top table team in the last minute, those were the days when we tried to entertain and win.

Yeah I don't remember BNC getting criticism. At most, there might have been a bit of hmmm... are we really signing a kid when in a relegation battle in January. I can imagine thinking that from the time! But when everyone had seen him play I think that was quickly snuffed out!

And don't forget the writing-off of Bramall and Poole, by the forum sages.
With the exception of one or two posters I think their capabilities were pretty much judged fairly from the start. Bramall was acclaimed as a speed merchant, good going forward but needed work on his defending, pretty much the same was still be said about him when he moved on. Poole was considered pretty solid defensively but limited passing out when going forward, still pretty much the same as the comments he gets now.
Not sure what some posters want from a club forum, they ask for peoples opinions about players in threads like rate the players and if all the reviews aren’t sugar coated they throw their dummies out.
We played Mk Dons away a few weeks back and Shodipo and Boyes made their debuts. Not many Vital members were at the game so there were posts asking opinions from people who went on how they played. My opinion wasn’t favourable but it was what I saw and thought on the day, I got pelters from posters who hadn’t been at the game for being harsh on them. Why ask the question if you might not like the answer. Performances since show the early judgement was about spot on.

Last edited:
On the back pass debacle goal I think with Rushworth in the position he was would definitely given Roughan a call.

Roughan was caught in two minds. First of all the ball was passed into his right foot so he had to take a touch but even with that he should of played it back in to the box with his second touch, he had plenty of time to do that.

Rushworth had advanced out into the left back position and if Roughan would have known he was there he could of played it across to him with either first time or taken a touch and played it to him.

I think Rushworth has given him a call and Roughan thought he was behind him and played it blindly and the rest is history.

All split second decisions for Roughan but he got himself in trouble by not just banging the ball back into their penalty box in the first place.

With the exception of one or two posters I think their capabilities were pretty much judged fairly from the start. Bramall was acclaimed as a speed merchant, good going forward but needed work on his defending, pretty much the same was still be said about him when he moved on. Poole was considered pretty solid defensively but limited passing out when going forward, still pretty much the same as the comments he gets now.
Not sure what some posters want from a club forum, they ask for peoples opinions about players in threads like rate the players and if all the reviews aren’t sugar coated they throw their dummies out.
We played Mk Dons away a few weeks back and Shodipo and Boyes made their debuts. Not many Vital members were at the game so there were posts asking opinions from people who went on how they played. My opinion wasn’t favourable but it was what I saw and thought on the day, I got pelters from posters who hadn’t been at the game for being harsh on them. Why ask the question if you might not like the answer. Performances since show the early judgement was about spot on.

I feel the same as John. There are many posters on this forum who watch every game, have done for years, and therefore can offer very valid opinions on both players and team performances.

Of course there will be differences as not everyone reads a game the same way. But I do think the overall consensus on here can be very accurate.

There would be nothing more pointless than a forum where everyone was only allowed to express positive comments.

I feel like Poole and Bramall is slightly different tbh as I think they got pelters for being shit by several posters, rather than just certain limitations.

Poole especially was a hill I wanted to die on as I think it was correlation but not causation that our form dipped after we signed them. The clamour for Eyoma at RB at that time I think still looks ridiculous.

I'd agree, I've never fully seen Roughan as a long term CB either. He's always seemed more of a steady eddy full back to me (certainly at the minute, anyway).

He was very impressive at Derby playing a more traditional full back role, even before we went down to ten men. His positional play and timing of tackles was off the scale and was appreciated by Derby fans as well those from Lincoln.

He's young and probably mentally and physically tired, and getting towards the end of a season where there is arguably not a lot to play for.

I only try and comment on games I have attended
I follow match threads on here when I can or check on the score on sky. I really appreciate the comments of those who have attended as the reports online by the BBC are hopeless and nearly always inaccurate and the limited highlights never tell the full story.
I fully agree with John that how anybody can form an opinion on somebody's performance when they haven't seen the majority of the match baffles me.

I think he's good but leaving aside making the odd mistake (that's normal and I agree with you) do you think he's actually a CB? He can't be much over 5'8, 5'9 is he? Feels like he'd have to be ludicrously good to have a successful career as a cb even at lower levels. I think maybe lb would be better than lwb or at a push the left sided cb in a three but that could he quite situation dependent/would need to be at the right club.

I think I thought he was seen as a longer term cb but I'm less convinced now.

I think that Kennedy does see him as a centre back long term.

Gone are the days when your centre halfs were 6' 5" 16 stone and dominated everything in the air but were limited with the ball at their feet.

Man utd have a centre back who is only 4' 6" and he does ok.

He's got more of chance as a centre back, that looks his natural position.

As a left back / left wing back and especially wing back he would need to improve his mobility, he doesn't have the skill or pace to take players on and his crossing would need to improve.

Still young though with time to improve and who we sign in the summer will tell you in which position Kennedy sees his future.

Roughan's strengths seem to be his physicality and aggressiveness; also likes a tackle. In my view he seems tall enough and on that skill/attribute set I would put him in the CB category....unless he adds the other facets such as improved technique to his game.

I reckon he has every chance of making it as a decent, competent defender - he's already doing a steady job in L1 and he's still only a teenager.

I think that Kennedy does see him as a centre back long term.

Gone are the days when your centre halfs were 6' 5" 16 stone and dominated everything in the air but were limited with the ball at their feet.

Man utd have a centre back who is only 4' 6" and he does ok.

He's got more of chance as a centre back, that looks his natural position.

As a left back / left wing back and especially wing back he would need to improve his mobility, he doesn't have the skill or pace to take players on and his crossing would need to improve.

Still young though with time to improve and who we sign in the summer will tell you in which position Kennedy sees his future.

I think a lot now are 6 ft 4 and good with their feet, tbh. My point above in the thread was that he'd have to be exceptionally good especially to play in a 4 at the back at (probably) sub 6 ft.

Martinez is obviously great but he's a bit of an exception, and a lot was made of him being undersized. And he's extremely aggressive and reads the game well.

He did it v Bolton away too which also resulted in a goal.

Everyone keeps telling me he’s a talent … not in the Toffolo or Edun league.

Yeh....I don't recall Edun and Toffolo making those kind of mistakes as a 19 year old....

....but then again I didn't see Toffolo's first senior match in L2 playing for Swindon by which time he was already 19

or Edun in a Fulham age group team at the same age.

He's a talent....