Exeter (A) highlights | Vital Football

Exeter (A) highlights

Obviously Roughan will rightly get criticised for the no look pass, but wtf was Rushworth doing?

Creating an angle to pass- looks like no communication between the two players but you never blindly pass the ball backwards without even looking. That only sits with Roughan

Rushworth does that every game, he goes wide either side to make an angle so he can hit a diagonal pass forwards. It’s a pre arranged tactic that he has used all season. Roughan had so much time he should have just cleared it forward, really bizarre decision making. He will soon have his own personal bizarre bloopers video following on from schoolboy errors against Peterborough and Bolton earlier this season

Honestly not even that annoyed at Roughan, silly mistake but the entire team was making bizarre passing decisions all game. Not good enough for me

MK said it was Roughan at fault, not Rushworth.

I can understand why Rushworth was over there, to create an angle (it's perhaps a little extreme but it makes sense) and from what MK said post match it's something Roughan should have known anyway. Even before the no look pass, he's dallied and panicked himself despite an easy ball back into the mixer.

I'm sorry, there is no way on earth Rushworth should have been way out there.

Absolutely agree. Rushworth was way too wide. You do not leave the width of your penalty area to make an angle for a back pass - and he was virtually on the left touchline.

Still 60% Roughan's fault as he should have launched the ball upfield rather than play it back, but Rushworth takes some of the blame.

On first viewing, I was partitioning the blame between Roughan and Rushworth.

But after another look, alongside MK’s interview, it’s clear that Roughan messed that up.

Hoof it up and worry about ‘pretty’ football later. Shame.

He’s a good lad and a decent footballer, and I’m comforted by the fact that he had the wherewithal to apologise.. but that was poor.

He’s worthy of a new contract, regardless.

I'm sorry, there is no way on earth Rushworth should have been way out there.
Absolutely, he must be 35 yards from his goal and it's a crazy position. The back pass is still madness, but probably partly due to our safety first approach. He had all the time in the world to play it back towards their goal, and to look where the keeper was.
To concede from where the ball started is just unbelievable!

Rushworth does that every game, he goes wide either side to make an angle so he can hit a diagonal pass forwards. It’s a pre arranged tactic that he has used all season. Roughan had so much time he should have just cleared it forward, really bizarre decision making. He will soon have his own personal bizarre bloopers video following on from schoolboy errors against Peterborough and Bolton earlier this season

I mean, it's not like he is under 20 and still learning. You know, a bit like players in their 20s are still learning.

Their first goal what a mess they are both at fault -Rushworth for wandering off and Roughan for not looking. Their second Lewis should not have been out muscled so easily

That far out of the goal?

Rushworth is a modern keeper- plays out of his box frequently. Communications between the two players clearly didn't exist but the final decision to pass sits with Roughan. I'm not denying it was poor all round, gifted them a goal and changed the game.

On first viewing, I was partitioning the blame between Roughan and Rushworth.

But after another look, alongside MK’s interview, it’s clear that Roughan messed that up.

Hoof it up and worry about ‘pretty’ football later. Shame.

He’s a good lad and a decent footballer, and I’m comforted by the fact that he had the wherewithal to apologise.. but that was poor.

He’s worthy of a new contract, regardless.

Roughan is an excellent player- he does have "a mistake" in his locker but he's young and may learn to remove some of them. He has also had some excellent games for us (probably his best two this season Home and Away against Derby). Just a shame their goal seemed to shift the momentum of the game towards Exeter

Last edited:
Maybe Rushworth should always wear the bright pink kit in future? and a hat with lights and bells on it. Just don't want Roughan to wear size 16 boots and a revolving bow tie!