Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 165 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

Robbie McDaid scored for Glentoran in ninety minutes then in the penalty shoot out as they beat Cliftonville in the Irish cup semi final. I watched the game on tv, I have interest due to having seen a couple of games over there. The final is this Friday night on BBC NI at 7.30 pm.

An interview with Peter Beadle, past manager of Hereford, in the NLP last week included discussion on which managers had most influenced him. Managers he had played under included Keith Burkinshaw, Ozzie Ardilles, Terry Venables, Sam Allardyce, but said the one who motivated him to be the manager he wanted to be was John Ward, who he played under at Bristol Rovers. He learned from him to have faith in your players - "that unspoken faith stands out for me"

Also, Jack Muldoon pictured on front page of this week's issue

Gary Mills has been appointed manager of St Ives Town in the Southern League Premier Division Central. He had most recently been working as part of Northampton Town's academy set up.

Gary Mills has been appointed manager of St Ives Town in the Southern League Premier Division Central. He had most recently been working as part of Northampton Town's academy set up.
That is a quick promotion - it was reported recently he was joining their coaching staff as 1st team coach to assist manager and assistant manager.

That is a quick promotion - it was reported recently he was joining their coaching staff as 1st team coach to assist manager and assistant manager.

That's true - I was probably assuming from the reference on the Southern League website that 'First Team Coach' was the same as manager.

Memories of Steve Wicks! (which I usually try not to have).

Sean Newton in discussions. I note that Steve McNulty has also been released - too slow to foul now.

Sean Newton in discussions. I note that Steve McNulty has also been released - too slow to foul now.
Be interesting to see what happen to York because their Chairman has thrown tonnes of money at it and got nowhere recently. Then he had that fallout with the Trust and said he couldn't put his hand in his pocket as much (at all?) anymore. New stadium for them next season I think as well?

Ollie Palmer rumoured to be talking to AFC Wimbledon. Done well for Crawley
I thought Palmer was averagely good in the sense that you couldn't pick out an outstanding attribute he had but was decent at most things, albeit not sure he's a L1 striker.

Robbie McDaid scored the winner as Glentoran beat Ballymena United 2-1 after extra time. 250 supporters from each side were allowed in to the ground to watch, the first supporters to watch a game in the UK since lockdown.

I always thought Palmer looked like he didn’t work, but he worked. Good luck to him.

Unorthodox can be the most difficult thing to deal with and plan for!

Liked Palmer: looked clumsy yet had a great first touch, won more tackles than anyone thought he would, had great close control and best of all, instinctively knew where the goal was.

You cannot ask for much more from a lower league player. He seemed to just love playing football and wanted to start as many games as possible. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

There were of course 2 Palmers - the 2017 version who couldn't hit the proverbial cow's arse, and the 2018 version who bagged vital goals, often late, and celebrated them with gusto to go from zero to hero - Rochdale, Mansfield, Exeter, Coventry stick in my mind.