European Super League | Page 3 | Vital Football

European Super League

I think City did not want to be left behind if this takes off and whilst the thought behind it that 6 premier Clubs are involved the ESL would think that the Premier League and FA and the various Countries would be reluctant to sanction all these Clubs as it would ruin their own home leagues to do just that.

However without the backing of UEFA and FIFA, who would ban players from playing in World Cups etc. you would also need to have players willing to play for the break away clubs.

In the statement it says it is not their intention to split from their home leagues merely play in an alternative European Super Cup, this coming about since they think the current format reforms are not to their liking.

Their proposals for a founding 15 teams (3 yet to stick their heads above ground, who may well include PSG , Bayern Munich and one other) and then add 5 more to the league, but this is flawed to start with because, with 15 places already guaranteed the competition in the various leagues is meaningless and prevents any further investment by rich owners into what we would call a closed shop.

I really don't think they have thought this through and I think it is there that we have a stalemate.
UEFA want to the best Clubs each year to compete in the Champions League, their new proposals have a slight compromise to the ESL, that past results mat still get you into the competition, that would not go down well with teams that finish higher in their various leagues. (eg Arsenal mid table replacing Leicester )

UEFA are somewhat at fault introducing FFP designed to stop upstart Clubs from getting on to the Top Table and once City destroyed that plan, it has all gone pair shaped and will rumble for some time.

These Clubs who have signed up to this ESL want their cake but are not willing to share.

I am sad that City are part of this but understand their reason for doing so.

UEFA were set to announce/ratify their revised CL format today I think which is why this has blasted onto the scene.

UEFA were set to announce/ratify their revised CL format today I think which is why this has blasted onto the scene.

A power grab, to force the change, or a reaction to it as it's not to the satisfaction of the breakaways?
To me, a broadcast partner is an essential part of any plan, yet nothing has been disclosed.

Just ban all the players from the WC, Euros and playing for their countries. FIFA can do this and kill this nonsense stone dead. Other than that it is a bargaining chip from the Super Clubs to get EUFA to re-look at what they are proposing. We should stay calm, wait and see how this develops.

I never thought I would hanker for the old days of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th divisions but buggering hell, I do now.
:rolleyes:

From the Athletic.

"Juventus’ share price rose by 7 per cent the morning after they announced plans to join the European Super League.

On Sunday, twelve European clubs announced their intentions to form a breakaway competition.
Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli subsequently resigned from his role as chairman of the European Club Association (ECA) and the UEFA Executive Committee while the Italian side also left the ECA. Agnelli will now operate as the vice-chairman of the Super League.

The share price rose from €0.77 at close of trading on Friday to €0.83 on Monday morning".

I hope that a concerted condemnation of this idea squashes the concept, but I also hope that the reforms concerning the Champions League are also cancelled.

Although I would retain the format, would not segregate the counties at all and the luck of the draw is just that, with four groups of seeding as is the case now.

The ESL should be filed in the bin as unworkable and is anti football

That is my feeling too a reluctant participant
They will no doubt be saying that they were between a rock and a hard place. Swallow their ethics and get in on the ground floor or risk having wasted their investment to reach the top echelon of European football only to find themselves stood outside, nose pressed up against the glass. Again. Commercially they had invested in creating a global football presence with the evolution of the CFG. To have their primary asset at risk of being sidelined from the potential global market they had to decide what to do.
I understand this. I don’t have to like it.