Europa League | Page 22 | Vital Football

Europa League

Decent play, today. A little smarter strategy. GOrdon did foul up that play. Otherwise, we're in front.

Not with Cifti out there. I know I liked his signing, but he is tit useless. Always offsides. His first touch comes off like he is wearing combat boots or maybe horseshoes.

That was, without doubt......SHITE!

Scott Allan was utter garbage! Wanted too much time on the ball and gave the ball away with silly passes!
Ciftci is useless and he WILL NOT cut it in this team in this formation. Perhaps in a 4-4-2 he might cut it at least in the SPFL but Europe might be a stretch too far!
Armstrong wasn't great but by no means the worst player on the pitch tonight.
McGregor I thought was good, particularly like how he always offers for the ball when he moved into the deeper CM role after the subs.
Tierney did well again, not much chance to get forward.
Simunovic had a poor night. Boyata had a quiet night but not great. Lustig I think is getting too slow for playing RB now. He was OK but could have been better.
Biton and Johansen were awful in the first half. No solidity in midfield, wanted too much time on the ball!
Forrest was the impressive one when he came on. He got the ball and ran at them, Fenerbahce were shit scared of him!

Forrest shows exactly what was wrong with us tonight. I know it was a case of getting players experience but we needed more Forrest's out there tonight, players to run at Fenerbahce because they were vulnerable but we had nobody to take them on and it made it easy for them. It wasn't all a formation problem (it was partly in the first half) but it was a selection problem. Choosing the best players to win the game rather than choosing players who mght have trained or played the best in other games. Armstrong could be good in one game and I like Armstrong, but clearly he wasn't the right player to be playing on the left tonight! We needed a quick and tricky winger to pick the ball up and run with it and that's not what Armstrong is about.

I thought Ciftci would've done us a turn in certain domestic games so was happy enough with the signing. It was clear before he signed that he'd be way too slow for Europe, well, clear to everyone with the exception of RD.

Ciftci is a third striker at best. Limited but a useful option to have around. Griffiths, who is our defacto main striker, should really be one half of a striking partnership - ideally with someone who brings a lot more to the table than the likes of a Ciftci.

RD only playing with one striker has effectively neutered our striker ambitions (not that have actually had any ambition in striker recruitment for years!) and has played right into PL hands.

We now have Griffiths and a lump of wood who, to add insult to injury, runs about in our number 7 jersey!

For the first time in our history we have only two first team strikers at Celtic! And one of them is masquerading as one!

Well played Ronny and PL...

You may have just hit on something. I think Ronny selects the players who train hardest. That may or may not be your best XI. I didn't think the team was that dire given that there was no Brown or Griffiths, but then again, I'm so used to shipping 2-3 goals a game in Europe than only conceding one feels great! This is just a team full of Barry Robson and Paul hartley types. Yep, they train hard and work at it in the games. But you need some talented players--even if they're occasionally bratty--to win.

Strachan ran our best European teams in a decade and O'Neill a close second. Along with the workaday Robbo and Hartley types, Gordon had players like Mcgeady, McDonald and Nakamura who could make things happen. O'Neill had some real skill out there like Larsson and Harton. Both managers and Lennon also had very stout center backs.

This is just not a very good team outside of Scotland. Deila was hired to find the little engines that could. In Europe, they can't.

The amazing thing, Tic, is that we signed Cifti, Cole and have Stokes in purgatory. Yet for an entire season we're running with one striker. And now we're looking at Lennart Thy and Libor Kozak.

Cole is, was and always has been shite.

Had the skill and touch of Frank Bruno when he came on the other week.

Stokes has been in RD's bad books for ages so is now irrelevant.

We have two strikers

Right, but that's not my point. Point is, we could have Stokes and griffiths up front., they were great together under Lennon. Or even try Cifti with Griffiths. Instead, he wants to keep spending more on strikers when we could get more goals with a better formation and when we need better defenders.

Latest Celtic News