Europa League | Page 21 | Vital Football

Europa League

Ajax closed us down, chased, harried & didn't allow us time on the ball for 90mins - THAT is a fit team, Ronny!

We are blowing out our arse shortly after half time in europe - if not sooner :emoticon:26

I thought we feared more chances on the second half, but with one man up front Groffiths is always harried

There also is not talent on every spot on he park. I'm not a fan of Ronny, but this is a bare bones crew today and the club has not invested. The board knows we will win the league and I think they see money from European play as a bonus. So they have not tried to take a step forward. That's not Ronny's fault.

Well that's disappointing, not just because we lost but we're out too!

Credit to Callum McGregor, I thought he had a great game for us, not really playing in his normal position but he did well.
Tierney was brilliant again and showed some fire in his belly!
Scott Allan was rubbish other than that one pass!

We looked tired in the second half! It didn't help that we had to take off Rogic from midfield and Tierney from defence because you could see that our attackers, the players we wanted on the break couldn't break quick enough due to being tired!

A few of the players looked to just give up towards the end, Boyata being one in particular! Mulgrew walked off after the second goal, he didn't appear to be injured and walked straight up the tunnel....it's not yet clear why he walked off. If he's walked off in frustration then I think he's played his last game because Deila won't accept it and neither will the fans!

I'm not moaning at Griffiths but if he had a better night then we would have won tonight. It doesn't matter anyway because Fenerbache won and we're out.

Chris Sutton is NOT happy speaking after the game! Telling Petrov he's wrong! lol.

Let's look at this, Craig Gordon hasn't had a good season both in Europe or domestically. Griffiths had an off night but he's struggling up on his own at times. Defensively we're poor and that needs fixed, is it purely down to the players or is it the system? I think it's both! EVERY one of our defenders is liable to switch off and make mistakes and you can get away with one or two of them doing that IF the others around them are solid! The system is clearly not helping matters either though.
Our midfield is strong but there's no real creativity. Last season Brown was making some fantastic passes, he's not doing that this season. Our wingers can have good games but they're not technically good enough to really be creative.

Sutton had a go at the club (not just Ronny) and the signing policy. So let's take a quick look at it. Since joining us he has signed:
2014/2015 - Craig Gordon, Wakaso, Tonev, Guidetti, Scepovic, Berget, Duffy, GMS, Armstrong, Denayer.
2015/2016 - Christie, Cole, Blackett, Janko, Bailly, Allan, Boyata, Ciftci, Simunovic.

That's 19.....NINETEEN signings. How many are making a BIG impact on the team? Denayer did but it was only a loan. Gordon has but just not doing well this season. Simunovic still looks decent but still early for him, he's not as solid as VVD or Denayer. Armstrong has done OK, GMS was decent last season but is struggling this year. Guidetti had a good start last season but then faded. Janko has looked decent so far but again still early.
So at teh most you could say 7/19 signings have done well and been at least decent signings. That's shit! We're nearly only getting a third of our signings right....that's just not good enough!

Ronny's signings have paled in comparison to Lennon's and Strachan's and he was supposed tom come here for his mastery with young talent. This is not a goo Celtic team up and down the lineup, but the tactics make us look worse. His steadfast refusal to recognize this and try something different as well as the European embarrassment--not to mention the lost revenue--says it is time to go. It is not time to wait and see where things are in January. It is time now.

Moyes was in the directors' box at the game. Could he be the guy? He was great at Everton and not much since. I don't completely blame him for Man U since Ferguson left him with a depleted squad in a year when all major competitors had been spending. Some United fans are already complaining that Moyes did better than Europe than LVG. I'd certainly take him over what we have. And I still think Lennon could return. He would not rule out a return when asked last summer and I don't see how Bolton avoid relegation. If and when the club is relegated, I doubt he keeps his job. He still has a connection with some of the players and would probably breathe life back into the club.

OK, so our league match against Hamilton was off due to the weather, but that means those who are fit should be fresh and raring to go on Thursday night against Fenerbache. The big question is.....what team does Deila put out?

Brown and Mulgrew will still be injured, Commons may be fit as far as I'm aware.

I think Tierney is a definite one to start. Callum McGregor should probably be given another chance to show what he can do as he's played well recently. Tom Rogic could well start and would benefit from more European games under his belt. Scott Allan is the other player who could probably benefit.

Aiden Nesbitt has traveled with the squad! Fingers crossed he gets a start or at least a good 15-20 minute run-out tomorrow night!

Kris Commons and James Forrest have both traveled as well as all the other usual players. The only key players missing are Scott Brown, Charlie Mulgrew and Saidy Janko is also apparently out long term.

I don't know Welch. Strange one. We sometimes have this with Celtic though, we hear about certain players and their injuries and then we hear NOTHING about others. Don't even know what the injury is, I just read that he's a long term injury (could be a matter of months as they class Brown as long term too). I hope he's back soon because that now means that if Lustig picks up another injury, we have to make do with Ambrose at RB..........
Darnell Fisher is on loan at St Johnstone and if Janko was going to be out any longer, we would probably call Fisher back....wouldn't we? Or maybe they'd be willing to bring in someone like Jack Breslin from the youth team. He's a versatile player who has comfortably played a number of defensive positions as well as in midfield but this season he has mainly been used as a RB. Especially as we are now out of Europe and let's face it we're good enough to win the league without much worry so why couldn't we use a youngster as cover now?

We could try Breslin, but I'd get Fisher back. I think he's pretty good. Plus, Lustig isn't exactly durable. How did we get so thin as a squad? We have one decent striker, the midfield is no starting Allan and we have no cover at RB or, really, CB.

I know it's strange, it feels like we have somehow ended up with a really thin squad! When did that happen? Lol.

Tonight's team:

Gordon
Lustig - Boyata - Simunovic - Tierney
Johansen - Bitton
McGregor - Allan - Armstrong
Ciftci

Subs: Bailly, Izzy, Ambrose, Rogic, Forrest, GMS, Commons

We have no other strikers available tonight if something happens to Ciftci as Griffiths has been left out altogether. Forrest can play up top, McGregor or Rogic could probably also do it as well.

Latest Celtic News