Europa Conference League Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League Thread

I have recalculated to 17,240,000 if we win it. But I am not confident of my wotkings out. I would like to know what tv money and stadium revenue we are forecasting to receive.

Generally, if it were sell out matches at home, we'd generate around £1 mill net - but as I suspect that won't happen and some games will be heavily discounted, I'd expect a net income of around £400-500k in the league phase but full wack in the knock out rounds.

As of now, it looks BT will have the viewing rights up until 2024, so TV rights payments will be part of the total financial package already.

So should we go all the way and win it - it looks like net cash to us would be in the £20-25 mill range.

Not great, but not to be sniffed at either, we would of course if we won it get automatic qualification to the Europa league the following year.

Last edited:
Generally, if it were sell out matches at home, we'd generate around £1 mill net - but as I suspect that won't happen and some games will be heavily discounted, I'd expect a net income of around £400-500k in the league phase nut full wack in the knock out rounds.

As of now, it looks BT will have the viewing rights up until 2024, so TV rights payments will be part of the total financial package already.

So should be go all the way and win it - it looks like net cash to us would be in the £20-25 mill range.

Not great, but not to be sniffed at either, we would of course if we won it get automatic qualification to the Europa league the following year.

The other perspective is players valuations. With the peripheral squad players and academy players, the only other way you can maintain / grow their saleable value is through the loan system. Managed correctly, the ECL is a platform to bring a hidden financial value to the club by showcasing their talents.

Carroll and Townsend had about a third of their Spurs appearances in Europe. I bet that was significant in what we eventually got for them in the transfer market.

The other perspective is players valuations. With the peripheral squad players and academy players, the only other way you can maintain / grow their saleable value is through the loan system. Managed correctly, the ECL is a platform to bring a hidden financial value to the club by showcasing their talents.

Carroll and Townsend had about a third of their Spurs appearances in Europe. I bet that was significant in what we eventually got for them in the transfer market.

Kane made his name for us in Europe before Poch made him a first team starter.
This competition is going to a) be a great opportunity to give the likes of Scarlett, John, Clarke, White etc. proper competitive opportunities b) help players catch up on fitness so they can get back into contention for a PL place and c) will force rotation that then helps the entire squad get used to playing with each other, rather than there just being a set first team and a load of other players who never get enough time on the pitch to get up to speed.

This competition is going to a) be a great opportunity to give the likes of Scarlett, John, Clarke, White etc. proper competitive opportunities b) help players catch up on fitness so they can get back into contention for a PL place and c) will force rotation that then helps the entire squad get used to playing with each other, rather than there just being a set first team and a load of other players who never get enough time on the pitch to get up to speed.
Matic are actually suggesting making a Squad act like a Team, I mean that's to sensible surely lol!

Matic are actually suggesting making a Squad act like a Team, I mean that's to sensible surely lol!

Southgate managed to get the group to TALK like a team. Is that the same?

"It's not about me, it's about helping the group" blah, blah, blah !!!

I'm sure Grealish and Foden loved muttering those immortal words after getting their 10 min cameos.

For the competition to be of any use, we will have to stay in it. That won't be achieved by playing too many kids IMO. I don't think it's going to be that easy. In fact I have serious doubts for our chances.

For the competition to be of any use, we will have to stay in it. That won't be achieved by playing too many kids IMO. I don't think it's going to be that easy. In fact I have serious doubts for our chances.

I don't think anybody is suggesting we play too many kids. Balance can be achieved and should be achieved, otherwise its just stretching the squad too thin and we will end up being knocked out anyway, on top of being lower in the PL.

The desire to WIN at all costs can sometimes be the exact reason you don't.

I see there were about 50 ECL games last night and Aberdeen and Hibs won.

I still fancy us to play Aberdeen, recalling stories of when we bought Steve Archibald in 1980.

Its the first leg of the 2nd Qualifying round. 3 more games until our draw.

It's going to be interesting to see if there are any "giant" killings in these earlier stages. CSKA-Sofia were held at home 0-0 with Liepāja, which is a potential shock. Feyenoord drew 0-0 with Drita away from home. AEK are 1 down to Velež.

Everything else went as you'd expect.

I
Its the first leg of the 2nd Qualifying round. 3 more games until our draw.

It's going to be interesting to see if there are any "giant" killings in these earlier stages. CSKA-Sofia were held at home 0-0 with Liepāja, which is a potential shock. Feyenoord drew 0-0 with Drita away from home. AEK are 1 down to Velež.

Everything else went as you'd expect.
In such a derided competition there are 3 names in there we wouldn't take lightly and there are Europa drop outs to come.

I

In such a derided competition there are 3 names in there we wouldn't take lightly and there are Europa drop outs to come.

I should hope we don't take anybody "lightly". Without meaning to sound arrogant on behalf of Spurs, there are a lot of teams who will see playing us as one of the finest events in their history, especially at our stadium. They will give everything they have against us and we will lose if we don't match them.

It's draw day!

We’re in group 1 and will be represented by ball number four. We can be drawn against any of the following opponents…

5 PFC CSKA-Sofia (BUL) / NK Osijek (CRO)
6 FC Paços de Ferreira (POR) / Larne FC (NIR)
7 Breidablik (ISL) / Aberdeen FC (SCO)
8 FK Čukarički (SRB) / Hammarby Fotboll (SWE)

It's draw day!

We’re in group 1 and will be represented by ball number four. We can be drawn against any of the following opponents…

5 PFC CSKA-Sofia (BUL) / NK Osijek (CRO)
6 FC Paços de Ferreira (POR) / Larne FC (NIR)
7 Breidablik (ISL) / Aberdeen FC (SCO)
8 FK Čukarički (SRB) / Hammarby Fotboll (SWE)
It's embarassing just being in it. Hopefully it doesn't get more embarassing than that.

It will heat up in the last few rounds. That's when I pray we can show that we can win a competition.

We have to win this, I can still see a final v Jose's Roma...!
Hope you're right, but even if we win it I'm sure that we will continue to be labelled as a Club who can't win anything of consequence. Accepting that this is a season where hopefully Paratici and Nuno start to build something meaningful for us to enjoy 2-3 seasons down the road, this competition for me will never be anything other than a meaningless distraction.

Hope you're right, but even if we win it I'm sure that we will continue to be labelled as a Club who can't win anything of consequence. Accepting that this is a season where hopefully Paratici and Nuno start to build something meaningful for us to enjoy 2-3 seasons down the road, this competition for me will never be anything other than a meaningless distraction.

It's a stepping stone, a place to introduce perhaps young players to European competition and all that it entails; I've always believed that winning is a habit, and helps form a winning mentality, so alas I cannot agree it's a distraction.

Winning medals at any level in any sport always made me want to win more!

We have been drawn to play either Pacos de Ferreira from Portugal or Larne from Northern Ireland. We find out after the 2nd leg of their Qualification Round 3 match on Thursday 12th August.

Should be a sensibly relatively easy start then .. :thumbup: